Tubes or tubeless

Gary Hudson

That is awesome. It is hard to find 700c tires here in Japan's bike shops that have removable cores as well, but I did. They are Bontragers and that is all I buy now with Stans unless they don't have the stem size I need. I forgot the name of the company, but they also sell a tube that already has the sealant inside for almost double the price.
Where is that video linked? I looked for it under your profile but did not see it, however I noticed you have a ragdoll cat and so do we. Lol.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Where is that video linked? I looked for it under your profile but did not see it, however I noticed you have a ragdoll cat and so do we. Lol.
We actually have 2 now. Maui is the Seal Point Mitted female, and Kai is a male Blue Bi-Color. I never put a video up of the Kai though. As for the tubes with sealant video, I am trying to find it. It was from another Youtuber, and I posted it in a few places. I just gotta find it either on here, or on a group chat with some mates.

Gary Hudson

We actually have 2 now. Maui is the Seal Point Mitted female, and Kai is a male Blue Bi-Color. I never put a video up of the Kai though. As for the tubes with sealant video, I am trying to find it. It was from another Youtuber, and I posted it in a few places. I just gotta find it either on here, or on a group chat with some mates.
Thanks I will watch for it. Our new ragdoll is a Seal Lynx bi-color according to my wife. We lost our other one in February. She was a Blue Lynx, also according to my wife. I won't go on about the cats, because I think the Venn diagram of Vendetta/Ragdoll owners has to be barely touching.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Thanks I will watch for it. Our new ragdoll is a Seal Lynx bi-color according to my wife. We lost our other one in February. She was a Blue Lynx, also according to my wife. I won't go on about the cats, because I think the Venn diagram of Vendetta/Ragdoll owners has to be barely touching.
I couldnt image trying to make a Venn diagram of all of the types of Ragdoll cats now as there are so many. I did see a pic of a Flame Point that was close to breaking the "No 3 Cat" rule the wife and I set. But not as close as an F1 Savannah. I want 1 so bad that I won't even search for 1 in my area :D.

Oh meow the commuter gets the cats whiskers marathon plus. Cat lover here.
I had dogs when growing up. They were tons of fun when I had that kind of energy and space to let them run in the fenced in 1-acre yard. I still like dogs, especially Border Collies or Australian Shepherds. But I made the switch when Maui, a 10-week old Ragdoll climbed up my pants leg to my shoulder and stayed there.

10906142_10205880848489064_2119589658834813469_n.jpg
She has the manners hang out in a tree, and comes down to get a ride home when she has had enough of that stuff.
Maui.jpg

Here is Kai as a kitten, and then as a 20lb handful of Goo. He only sits on the car or mailbox with me keeping a close eye on him so I can stop him from jumping off once he gets that look in his eye.
10982328_10206181935456050_6113292385481093065_o.jpg S__4309016.jpg

Yeah, the 28mm Marathon is kinda going to defeat the purpose of having Zonda wheels on my commuter once the 28mm Conti 4000s on the rear give up the ghost. That bike can't make up its mind if it wants to climb or not :p

Update on my situation.

I had about 1500kms on the OEM setup on my V20 (GP4000S2 with tubes) and I had around 4-5 punctures in that time. I recently changed to my wheels from my DF with GP5000-TL with 50mL sealant. Getting close to 1000kms now with no stops for punctures (and these tyres are well used with non-drive having around 10,000kms). No evidence I have had a puncture... but I may have and not realised as it self heals. I regularly ride on rough roads and through glass and tyre debris (with steel belt wire). Typically I get a puncture every 2-300kms with tubes, but nothing with tubeless. This is the same experience I had on the DF. I can't recomment tubeless highly enough if you rims have the capability to support them.

My riding loops have changed recently due to a local COVID lockdown... but they still include the part that causes 99% of my punctures (a motorway).

Oh... BTW... there tyres are FAST also!!

Gary Hudson

2AE466F1-7D98-4E80-B4A1-7BE446590FE1.jpeg 439330D5-45F6-43E3-AFE6-7722BEA0ACD6.jpeg Okay just this once I will post pics. Still watching for that video…

I apologize for hijacking the tubeless thread. I am really interested in the hybrid tubes/sealant method and want to learn more. I think I would like to do it with my vendetta, at least on the front.

Last edited:

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
View attachment 11849 View attachment 11847 Okay just this once I will post pics. Still watching for that video…

I apologize for hijacking the tubeless thread. I am really interested in the hybrid tubes/sealant method and want to learn more. I think I would like to do it with my vendetta, at least on the front.
Gorgeous cats. Same here hahaha.

I do like tubeless though. I'm running the Marathons now on my Sciroccos just because they are heavier and will likely last twice as long as the Pro Ones or 5000s, and I don't have to jack around with the Scirocco bearings because they are sealed better than the ones on my fast wheels. Both of my race wheels will definitely have tubeless on it for any events though. Carrying a spare tubeless tire and a bottle of sealant will likely get me further and be faster than a couple of tubes.

I've never considered carrying a spare tubeless tyre and sealant. In what situation is that preferred?

The worst puncture I had with tubeless was about a 20mm cut. I used a Park tyre boot and a tube to repair that and got home no issue. On the V20 I carry two tubes and two CO2.... but I have never double flatted tubeless. I have tubed before though. Double pinch flat from hitting a large rock at high speed in the dark. I think if I was weight or space saving, a single light tube (tubolito), CO2 (or light pump) and a park boot (and tyre levers) would get me home for 99% of tubeless punctures.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I've never considered carrying a spare tubeless tyre and sealant. In what situation is that preferred?

The worst puncture I had with tubeless was about a 20mm cut. I used a Park tyre boot and a tube to repair that and got home no issue. On the V20 I carry two tubes and two CO2.... but I have never double flatted tubeless. I have tubed before though. Double pinch flat from hitting a large rock at high speed in the dark. I think if I was weight or space saving, a single light tube (tubolito), CO2 (or light pump) and a park boot (and tyre levers) would get me home for 99% of tubeless punctures.
I rarely get flats as the cycling paths here are pristine, no cars and no trash. But I have double flatted from a puncture first, then a pinch flat because my small pump wasn't great at getting the tube up to 90psi or more after the puncture. On the time I actually needed a 2nd tire was when descending at about 50kph and had a massive blowout on the front. Luckily I didn't go under a truck or crash, but the tire was trashed. Also, I was only about 4km from home. I could have been 30km from home and then I would have been screwed. It doesn't fit that well, but I have managed to get a spare tubeless tire into the moosepack by rolling it up tightly and then using either rubber bands or two small zip ties near the beads which are easy to slip off without tools. A bottle of sealant and that same small pump will fit as well. At least with that pump I can get it up to 80psi fairly easily. The right arm is gonna take a beating while pumping it up but at least I won't be stranded unless I get two blowouts. Since I am always on the flats I don't mind the extra weight of a tire at all. But even for a long event, a 220g tubeless tire and a bottle of sealant is probably about 100g heavier than 2 butyl tubes. I read somewhere that CO2 isn't good for sealant. Am I mistaken?

You are right that CO2 is not good for sealant. I have never used it for that. I only carry CO2 to put into the tubes if I have a puncture that the sealant cannot fix. So basically if I have a puncture with tubeless... I am fitting a tube and filling with CO2. I use a normal pump at home for topping up tyre pressure in tubeless tyres with sealant.

Edit... the reason I use CO2 over a pump is that small pumps that fit in a moose pack area bit of a pain to get in and out and mostly can't get up to a good pressure and if they can, it takes forever. CO2 on the other hand takes much less spaces and gets to >100psi in a second or two. I was having a lot of punctures with tubes initially on my V20... and hand pumping got pretty iritating pretty quickly, so I switched back to CO2.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
You are right that CO2 is not good for sealant. I have never used it for that. I only carry CO2 to put into the tubes if I have a puncture that the sealant cannot fix. So basically if I have a puncture with tubeless... I am fitting a tube and filling with CO2. I use a normal pump at home for topping up tyre pressure in tubeless tyres with sealant.

Edit... the reason I use CO2 over a pump is that small pumps that fit in a moose pack area bit of a pain to get in and out and mostly can't get up to a good pressure and if they can, it takes forever. CO2 on the other hand takes much less spaces and gets to >100psi in a second or two. I was having a lot of punctures with tubes initially on my V20... and hand pumping got pretty iritating pretty quickly, so I switched back to CO2.
That system makes a lot of sense. Yep. I curse myself every time I have to use that small pump. I checked my tire today after a puncture yesterday and it was at 40psi. I figure it was probably close to 50psi yesterday, not anywhere near 80psi, and that is part of the reason I was so slow. It just felt like I was dragging something the whole ride. Back to CO2 though, I have to get a new nozzle since mine bit the dust.

I find 70-80psi is the sweetspot for me in comfort/speed with the GP5k-TL 25mm tyres. I normally pump to about 85psi once a week. Sometimes it is down to around 60 when I next pump it up sometime 10 days later. Great think about tubeless is that they don't feel much slower even at 60psi... and they just get more comfy! I mainly don't like running too lower pressure to protect the rims.

Years ago I got a box of CO2 canisters cheap off wiggle. I am only half way through the box after years. Been using the same inflator valve for around 10 years. On my DF I nolonger use the CO2 with tubeless (for the repair tube) as the need for it is so rare (once a year?) and I have a 50gm pump which is much lighter than CO2 and that matters on my 7kg bike. On my 15kg V20, I am not so worried about a few hundred grams (I take 2 CO2s and 2 tubes!!) and CO2 is so much nicer than the frustration of pumping up a tyre when you are already annoyed from having gotten a puncture! With the moose pack and brain bag now, I have plenty of space to carry stuff compared to my DF.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Cats can hijack any thing they so choose.

We can no longer use cat gut for inner tubes now that we are rspca tubeless.

15 kg. Woh surely not. Off some water vossi.

any self respecting tubeless nutter goes with one tube only . ;)

vendetta the brave on Sydney strewn streets.

jond

Zen MBB Master
View attachment 11849 View attachment 11847 Okay just this once I will post pics. Still watching for that video…

Ohhhh

she who must be obeyed took a new slant. Dinner now. And if you’re lucky you’ll get to be a lap seat.

Cats can hijack any thing they so choose.

We can no longer use cat gut for inner tubes now that we are rspca tubeless.

15 kg. Woh surely not. Off some water vossi.

any self respecting tubeless nutter goes with one tube only . ;)

vendetta the brave on Sydney strewn streets.

Before the brain bag it was 12kg without a water bottle (with my light wheels and Di2 and moose pack full of emergency spares). Stock wheels were probably about 500gm heavier. Brain bag with bracket another 700gm. 1.5L of water in bladder gets very close to a ride weight of 15kg. Helps me go faster down hills!

I gotta admit... I choose where I ride the V in Sydney!! Mostly quiet country or suburban open roads with a wide shoulder. Not keen on city streets in the lane with cars! Lots of potholes and glass in some areas. Lots of random debris on motorways. Gatorskins with tubes are OK but slow and uncomfortable. Tubeless is great - durable, comfy and fast!

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I scrolled through the 2 cycling group chats I have with local riders and didn't see any links to the Youtube video I saw of the Youtuber putting sealant his tubes, and I even did a Youtube search for it being done on road bikes but didn't come across the specific video I was referencing. Basically they used about half of the sealant as in a normal tubeless tire and it seemed to work a treat in sealing the tube after a puncture. Of course you don't get all of the speed of going tubeless, but on the flip side it sealed very fast without losing much air pressure. I will keep looking for that video though.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Brain bag with bracket another 700gm. 1.5L of water in bladder gets very close to a ride weight of 15kg. Helps me go faster down hills!
I am glad to see that I am not the only rider weighing down my bike with all the extra stuff. I have S40, which is heavier to begin with. I have disc brakes, front and rear cameras, computer, little bag with tools/tube/snack, portable charger... around 35 lb. before adding bottled water!! It does go down hills faster except it seems that Seattle area is all up hills!! :-(

Before venturing out on my five day bike vacation, I checked the sealant level (tube & syringe inserted into valve stem - core removed). Totally empty. There’s probably a couple latex boogers in there. Anyway, 30 ml top-up of Truckers sealant and I’m good to go.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I am glad to see that I am not the only rider weighing down my bike with all the extra stuff. I have S40, which is heavier to begin with. I have disc brakes, front and rear cameras, computer, little bag with tools/tube/snack, portable charger... around 35 lb. before adding bottled water!! It does go down hills faster except it seems that Seattle area is all up hills!! :-(

how much heavier is the s40 frameset compared to the vendetta frameset in reality ?

It is always difficult not adding a kitchen sink aerator if you have room.

discipline. Risk v reward. 1200 audax. One tube anyone. Not me but lots do. Envying then their detachment from “what if and nice to have” is my lot of heavy safety burden. Philosophical sigh......