V20 bag and hydration setup for aero long-distance

Tor Hovland

Yeah, I think it would be best to avoid the extra kilo a rack brings, and use the frame bags plus Brain Box instead.

In other words, similar to @Derek's setup here:

But without the Scarab bag, and instead with another set of small frame bags under the boom and between the wheels.

I found a good local price on the Geosmina Gravel 5, so I feel ready to pull the trigger.

But which is better to mount on a stock seat and neck rest, the Brain Box or the Solo Aero?

which is better to mount on a stock seat and neck rest, the Brain Box or the Solo Aero?
Be sure to look through this thread. Many good examples.
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/bag-solutions-for-vendetta-v20.13277/

I think either would work, but would require some kind of support as they are designed to fit onto a hard seat, such as a Thor. Some Cruzbikers have made frames to support the bag. https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/my-very-first-recumbent-is-a-v20.13604/page-9#post-170061

In pics below, my Radical Design's Solo Aero narrow fits onto a Thor, with supports to keep the bag off the tire.
1710896269576.png

Here's a Brain Bag mounted to a frame that is somehow attached to the hard seat.
1710896429979.png

Here's one that fits over the standard Cruzbike head rest. I can confirm that it wags back-and-forth, but Jeff doesn't seem to mind. @Tuloose also used this set-up.
1710896592723.png

Alanczik

I'm in the same problem as it getting outrages hot here at summer, but yet to have any solutions to share.

I'll only say I don't recommend mixxing sports drink powder in the bladder. As its often doesn't mix well, hard to clean, especially if you forget to empty and dry it overnight (then next ride you realize it's been a week and bladder is half pink with Aftertaste..)

I only use powders in bottles, you can shake it well, and put it in the dishwasher for real good cleaning afterwards,

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
That looks perfect Tor. About 10L of water proof storage space (11 if you add in a Moose Pack), 5-6L of it accessible with 1 hand while moving, at about the smallest aero penalty possible. Those Geosmina Toptube bags under the seat are exactly what I am looking for. Waterproof and good zippers. I can't say how many Topeak zippers have failed me on my roadbike seat bags, but those slide nicely without needing the other hand to hold the bag still while zipping. Recently, I put one of these on my V20. It is only 500ml, but with the adapter I could slide the bottle lower so that it isn't sticking out beyond the bars and into my stomach as much. Getting it in and out of the cage still needs some practice.

Unknown.jpeg8020775042656.jpg
Are you going to go with the water bottles behind the head, or put something a bit more spacious and aero?

Tor Hovland

Yes, I will add a Brain Box or similar behind the neck rest. That would really give me a lot of storage.

Not sure I will put a bladder in it. I like using bottles due to the sports drink powder. But now I can keep a couple bottles handy in the Geosmina bags, to be exchanged with the one under the handlebar.

There are some other bags I will try photoshopping as well. In particular, the one between the wheels looks like it is long enough to cause rubbing.

Andreas

But now I can keep a couple bottles handy in the Geosmina bags, to be exchanged with the one under the handlebar.
I think water bottles don't fit well into the Geosmina due to it's shape, cans of coke probably yes, but bike bottles?

In that case, the Bontrager would probably be more suitable. By the way, I had also ordered the Bontrager Adventure Boss 5L at the same time. Here are a few photos in an album 'Bontrager vs Geosmina' (I don't want to fill the forum).

The zipper was much smoother, the bag was easier to fill, and I could have secured it to the seat with thumb screws, so there was no need to remove the seat for removal.

The zippers on the Geosmina are a bit stiffer, and filling it is a bit more difficult since it's shorter and less flexible. But in the end, my eye and my heart decided, and I returned the Bontrager.

Tor Hovland

Oh, that's interesting. I will choose practicality and good zippers over looks 10/10 times. Over aero as well, to be honest, which is why I like the Banana Racers so much.

I will look more into the Bontrager as well as the other options I've found.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

IyhelM

Thanks to you guys I ordered 2 x5.5l Geosmina bags to replace my Vaude Aquas which are really nice, if a little small (3l) but have awful zippers. Hopefully I can fit them before the weekend ride and share some feedback.

IyhelM

They look and feel great, very slick look, the zippers work seamlessly; for the time being I just attached them with a couple of bolts in the center, if it is not stable enough I’ll add a transversal plate at the rear.
Can’t speak about the waterproofing but I’m in no hurry to find out.
I think I’ll order another couple for the V of the weekend rides go well.
IMG_0705.jpegIMG_0707.jpegIMG_0708.jpegIMG_0706.jpeg

Last edited:

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
They look and feel great, very slick look, the zippers work seamlessly; for the time being I just attached them with a couple of bolts in the center, if it is not stable enough I’ll add a transversal plate at the rear.
Can’t speak about the waterproofing but I’m in no hurry to find out.
I think I’ll order another couple for the V of the weekend rides go well.
Those look awesome! Now I am definitely sold on adding top tube bags under the seat for touring.

IyhelM

First ride today (90 km with an awful headwind to start with, hail to end the ride ), I could stuff all I needed on the Geosminas, including my tools that I usually carry in a saddle bag behind the headrest. I’ll need to stiffen a bit the rear as on bumpy roads they tend to touch the tire, no big deal and I expected it as they are currently attached with only 2 bolts in the middle (didn’t want to drill unnecessary holes in the seat).
One drawback: setup like this, which looks the best and is the most aero, zipper pullers are rearward, which is not the most convenient. I may or may not try and reverse them.

TransAm

Playing around with some Geosmina options, this may be one possible setup:

View attachment 16865

Here is a file photo of my old V20 with an Apidura bag mounted as above. Note that the shifter stalk is a constraint. Front rim brakes are another interference point, but I see you have discs. You will need to tie the bottom of the bag to the fork, or else it will swing like a pendulum, and that could cause balance/steering issues.

1712021605003.png

Last edited:

TransAm

Here is my old V20 with a smaller SKS Triangle bag under the slider, and the Topeak MTX Trunk Drybag on the Blackburn Rack, on a multi-day tour in Altamont NY:

20210824_094329-3.jpg

Be careful not to go to big with the bag under the slider. I had problems with the Apidura bag sagging and rubbing the tire, and it was probably a little too wide to pedal around. I didn't have those issues with the SKS bag.

Last edited:

IyhelM

So these are the 5.5L Geosmina? […]
Those are the Gravel 5.0 litres ones. [size and model correction following Andreas’ input]
Not sure how to get them in the US though.
Maybe look for Apiduras, as a more established brand they should have a better distribution network.

Last edited:

Andreas

Yes, 5.5 ones.
Not sure how to get them in the US though.
Maybe look for Apiduras, as a more established brand they should have a better distribution network.
I'm not sure where you got the 5.5 from, Geosmina and the online shops I know mention 5 liters.

@cruzKurt On the Geosmina website, I can't find a distributor in the USA. You may need to find a European dealer who offers worldwide shipping. We in Europe face the same situation when we want to order Cruzbike Gear.