What I did to prepare for Sebring 2017 ---today

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
So no Vittorias for this race? did you get cold feet after handling them for a bit are did you have mounting troubles like me?

Just reading up on the gen 1 problems people had. Will test closer to home on the flo90s when they get here. Plus that meant only redoing 1 wheel and time is running low.

ratz

IMG_5983.JPG And set two complete with tribe tattoo

Slight difference is cassette on the. Backups.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I rode 4:15 today also. Ratz built a special Sebring Century workout with Best Bike Split (BBS) and created a TR workout for it.
45 degrees in my garage for the ride - hopefully it will not be that cold at Sebring next Saturday - but if it is, I guess I am ready for it! :)
It is supposed to simulate the entire Sebring Century at 0.67 IF. Pretty cool. Averaged 179watts @ 128bpm
I made it OK, but I just could not imagine riding at this Intensity Level for 12 hours - so I will have to dial it down a little bit in real life.
Long time to site on the trainer. I was pretty tired when I finished, but riding fasted and not fueling during the ride might have added to the fatigue some.

Sebring Putuo.PNG

Also tore apart and re-building my headrest (dropped it 1.5") and tail box - so it can fit on the lowered headrest - also lowered the water bottle holders in the trailbox so they are completely hidden.
That should save me a couple watts:
tb1.jpg tb2.jpg
tb3.jpg

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
It seems to be coming together. I have my last big ride tomorrow before Sebring. We are heading for Lake Okeechobee ... One of the larger lakes. LOL

I will be able to test out my hydration system and see what the new beast can achieve. This time I will try to keep my heart rate down.

Just looked at the weather. Sebring is going to be 26c max with a min of 13c.

LarryOz

It seems to be coming together. I have my last big ride tomorrow before Sebring. We are heading for Lake Okeechobee ... One of the larger lakes. LOL
I will be able to test out my hydration system and see what the new beast can achieve. This time I will try to keep my heart rate down.
Just looked at the weather. Sebring is going to be 26c max with a min of 13c.

Weather sounds great/good?? I think ?? Wait, let me get my calculator - haha :rolleyes:
I know C (Centrigrade/Celcius) is the "world" standard but anytime I see temperature in the "teen's" it just seems like it is going to be cold!

Seriously - glad to hear everything is coming together David - very glad.
I see you are signed up for the Century? What are you goals for the day?
By my count there should be a good dozen recumbents in the fast group to draft with.
Jim Parker is gunning for the win and a course record. so I say just hang with him and you will have a great time!

DavidCH

I have been riding on the Okeechobee trail that's 20mins away from Sebring. At 8 am it was still misty and when cycling my glasses and visor started to fog up... What on earth do you do with that? Guess you have to ride without visor and glasses?

LarryOz

I have been riding on the Okeechobee trail that's 20mins away from Sebring. At 8 am it was still misty and when cycling my glasses and visor started to fog up... What on earth do you do with that? Guess you have to ride without visor and glasses?
Bummer.
They sell anti-fog stuff at Wal-mart - but I have heard that just rubbing with soap and then polishing it with a cloth works nicely.
Looks like you have some time to experiment.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy

is it fogging on the inside of your visor? or is heavy fog collecting on the outside of your visor forming water droplets like super light rainy mist?

DavidCH

is it fogging on the inside of your visor? or is heavy fog collecting on the outside of your visor forming water droplets like super light rainy mist?
It was down to my breathing on a cold visor, there was moisture in the air too.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
If it was fogging from your breath then you can try an anti fog wipe after cleaning the visor with hand soap and warm water. Most motorcycle shops who sell helmets and visors have some kind in single use anti fog wipe which come in those little square packets like you get for wiping you hands at nice restaurants. The other product they may have is called cat crap that can be used many times. http://ekusa.com/product/cat-crap/

Whatever you use make sure to use it the day before because as odd as it sounds even when some of these work well, they for some reason cause extreme fogging over the first hour. It's like sometimes they need to cure fully to work properly.

ratz

I might be a little inadequate. My low gear is 23x42. Should I rethink this gearing?
More of a joke that I have corncob 11-21T on one set and 11-30T on the other. We'll ride the 11-21's on the flat Florida terrain.

ratz

Spent all day finishing the bike setups for number mounting, aero tweaks, garmin power for 12 hours, condensing tools and too many other things I can't remember. Time for bed I'm tired.

DavidCH

Well ... Still don't like my times. I can go a wee bit faster if I change the seat configuration so I have this ready to check tomorrow. I also have mastered the new cyclometer and I have a new nutrition scheme in place. Yesterday I got zapped by too much sun. The cyclometer said it was 31c in the sun.
One good thing... I didn't get any salt in my eyes.

Now an odd thought?
Do I really have to shave my legs????
:eek:

DavidCH

174km in 4.5 hours. That's a heck of a pace.

I think I have to get behind someone. Probably shave my head as well.

Gosh... I think I have spectators that are coming to cheer me in. I hope I don't fall off my bike when I cross the line.

Today I changed out the 9 degree of float on the cleat for the 4 degrees as these pedals are a little more difficult to disengage.

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Now an odd thought?
Do I really have to shave my legs????
:eek:

I have strong feeling on this subject. If you've never done so before, don't plan to continue doing so and aren't riding that razors edge of winning or first looser then don't do it. The first month of the regrowth period is terrible and just not worth a handful of mins or even less.

If you haven't guessed I shaved for both my Vendetta 24hr events and both times I've said never again but I'm on that razors edge so I caved in at the last second both times.