What I did to prepare for Sebring 2017 ---today

CruzLike

Guru
174km in 4.5 hours. That's a heck of a pace
Great job. That is a heck of a pace.

Do I really have to shave my legs????
I'm with Larry on this one. I'm bringing calf high socks back.

This happened to me on Saturday. Look at this picture

jixqMn7iE.jpeg

If you looked at this and saw a city. You are fine. If you thought "That would be a bear of a ride" you might be training too much. I was the later.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Well I didn't put the last panel on the side as I think she looks pretty good the way she is. I did take the ventisit pad off though. The ventisit pad I have soaks up the resistance so back to the 15mm rubber seat plus shoulder supports and lumbar pads.

image.jpeg

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I have strong feeling on this subject. If you've never done so before, don't plan to continue doing so and aren't riding that razors edge of winning or first looser then don't do it. The first month of the regrowth period is terrible and just not worth a handful of mins or even less.

If you haven't guessed I shaved for both my Vendetta 24hr events and both times I've said never again but I'm on that razors edge so I caved in at the last second both times.

This takes it to the skin but not below; makes a huge difference when it grows back.

http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/BG2034_49/norelco-bodygroom-3100-showerproof-body-groomer-series-3000

I don''t care about speed as much as being able to clean road rash if necessary so soldiering on is easier.... It's so cheap but does hell of a job. No if are a hairy cro-man then you might need the 7000 series.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Larry you might want to check but seems like I remember someone covering that same area and determined that it was actually better to only cover the area under the frame. The area around the wheel might be being broke into two separate dirty spaces making it worse than one big one?
Thanks Hardy.
Ratz did his half - Jason did his full -
I'll just trying to give everybody else a little advantage. :)
I'll try and build it both ways and test it on a couple of 11 mile loops on Friday- and see which performs better.

ratz

stealth shots from the speed lab Saturday..

IMG_5986.jpg IMG_5985.jpg

Final piles are reading to go into the truck tomorrow. Had to scrounge around for 30 minutes to find the "Safe" place I put the stem-cut-out cover for the wheel covers. Jeesh I hide things well. Water bottle plan for two riders pending tonight, and food and fuel packing remains. Also have to bitch some more about the one battery mount on the bike I still don't like.

So let's see what's left.

0) Wax a bunch of master links
1) Tomorrow morning last workout
2) Pull the bikes off the trainer
3) replace all master links in the chain with fresh ones. Chains have about 1 trainer week of break in on them perfect for race day.
4) Put Silvio on the trainer for PB
5) Pack the truck
6) Do the last of the miscellaneous course creations for the track
7) Weather check for travel
8) Roll the road at 3am on Wednesday head for Orlando to meet PB's inbound plane.

Man does the list never end? I'm sure there's more to come. :emoji_confounded:

Oh and I forgot we are going to run live telemetry from the bikes on Saturday. I need a victim to receive the SMS alert from the device and post it to this thread. I was thinking about testing it on the drive down just for a hoot. I'm sure it's will be riveting to watch the truck crawl it's way across the country state by state.... :emoji_face_palm:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I could give the middle man data thing a shot. Send me the details and I'll try it during the drive down. I do get up early enough to only miss the first part of your trip.

DavidCH

It's been perfect since I've been here. Today everything came together for me, I am definitely riding the rubber seats. Just need a pipe retention device to stop the wind from blowing it into the rear wheel. I got some good speed today.

The temperature when finishing was 79f.

After doing the James A Van Fleet trail pop into Labender'n Lace tea room in Lake Alfred. It's a most beautiful place.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

LarryOz

I cleaned up and installed my wheelcovers on my 86mm rims with 25mm ProOnes mounted.
Since the ProOnes are directional I decided to use "red" tape for the "right" side and "black" tape for the left side.
Kind of hard to mess up the drive side - but who knows?? :p
V20 wheels-2.jpg

Also finished up my shortened headrest (1.5" shorter than stock), and also dopped my water bottles even lower in my tailbox, and even have room for my spare tube and a couple of tools right behind the headrest.
Still have to organize and lay everything else out. On my short list tonight if I can finish work before 10pm tonight.

DavidCH

That's interesting that Larry might be going all discs. I noticed the zip drag cda in the wind tunnel tests were a lot better than anything else.
Heck he is in it to win it.

Tigerpaw

Is any cruz tribe going to drive to the Frost turn around and may carry some folks bottles for the turn around? Asking for a friend.... :)

LarryOz

Is any cruz tribe going to drive to the Frost turn around and may carry some folks bottles for the turn around? Asking for a friend.... :)
I am pretty sure there will be at least one Cruzbike car with a couple support people to hand out bottles at the turn around. We will figure that out Friday afternoon.
I can usually do 100 miles on on 4 full bottles. I can carry 3 in my setup.
I am thinking of guzzling one in the first 3 laps around the track, and then exchange for a fresh one on the way out from the support area.
Last year Jesse and JV took off like a scalded cat (and no-one caught them) at the turnaround while we were all exchanging bottles, so won't leave that door open this go-round.
That way I will have 3 full bottles for the next 90 miles. I think Ratz and PB are going to carry 5 bottles each, so they will not need anything at the turnaround.

Tigerpaw

I will carry two with me and just need two at the turn around. Once back at the track, I'll have support for the 11 mile loop. NOTE: I'm not in contention with any of the elite cyclists, just trying to shave any time as I compete with myself.

ratz

I am pretty sure there will be at least one Cruzbike car with a couple support people to hand out bottles at the turn around. We will figure that out Friday afternoon.
I can usually do 100 miles on on 4 full bottles. I can carry 3 in my setup.
I am thinking of guzzling one in the first 3 laps around the track, and then exchange for a fresh one on the way out from the support area.
Last year Jesse and JV took off like a scalded cat (and no-one caught them) at the turnaround while we were all exchanging bottles, so won't leave that door open this go-round.
That way I will have 3 full bottles for the next 90 miles. I think Ratz and PB are going to carry 5 bottles each, so they will not need anything at the turnaround.

qty 1 - 500ml water -> boom
qty 2 - 500ml water+fuel -> under seat
qty 2 - 620ml water -> behind the head

Forecast is for a Perfect morning to haul a lot of bottles big bottles, but might not need a ton of water.
First 75 miles sub 60F and wind will be sub 5 mph. So no Yaw penalty for the TALL bottles.
Once on the 11 mile loop we'll switch to the shortie bottles going to be spending a lot of time going cross wind on the loop

The problem time will be around the 175-250 mile mark depending on how fast people are moving. This graph is at 20 mph to make it easy to do the math.... basically hours 8-12 will be the high temp challenge.

but of course the forecast changes about every 5 hours, was for a high of 65F just a few days ago, but it's still good to think stuff through. We'll throw a bottle or two on the pile headed to the turn around

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 22.11.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 22.10.53 PM.png

ratz

NOTE: I'm not in contention with any of the elite cyclists, just trying to shave any time as I compete with myself.
Getting stronger doesn't make it hurt less; you just go faster; and technically we are all relatively slow

ratz

Since the ProOnes are directional I decided to use "red" tape for the "right" side and "black" tape for the left side.
I went with relfective stickers that are "arrows" and I still get it backwards at times.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Dont forget there is a control with water between the turn around and the track. This means one somewhere roughly around the 30 and 70 mile mark in addition to the 50.