What I did to prepare for Sebring 2017 ---today

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
inclement weather gear?

You guys do realize I'm from CA and we literally melt if we come in contact with water while on asphalt right? I have only ridden the V in the lightest of drizzle and it was absolutely terrible having my head in the recumbent position unable to tip forward to block the rain drops from hitting my face. In my defense I can totally kill it in a mtb rain race and during a 24hr race that started wet and then went to complete downpour, I opened up such a huge lead that even though I had to quit at the 7th hour due to brake failure I held the lead while spectating in the pits till the 13th hour.

As far as actually making travel plans for the race I haven't yet. I get my cast off this wed so I'll see how that evaluation goes before planning my next step.

Also I'm completely intolerant of training with a plan in mind. Tried to take it easy last week with some kind of idea of the big picture and my body went into complete f**k you status and I felt like crap all week with the added benefit of some mild insomnia. It's like my subconscious gets a hint of me trying to "train" and it just sabotages me. I'm feeling so much better since I just hopped on and pedaled however I felt the last three days.

Ted

Good point about the rain in the face in the more reclined position of the V and S30. For those with experience with that, how much of a "problem" is it or how does it actually affect you?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Good point about the rain in the face in the more reclined position of the V and S30. For those with experience with that, how much of a "problem" is it or how does it actually affect you?

Rain-X the outside of your sunglasses; and fog-x the inside. If the rain is sticking to your glasses; pedal faster :confused:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
The Dry season and probably the best season.

All the hotels seem to be pretty booked out this year so it's also the most expensive season.

This year is really cold for North America. Expect the migration of snow birds to be the biggest ever.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
inclement weather gear?
Inclement weather in central Florida in February is most likely just "cold" air.
My first Sebring; 2 years ago started and finished at about 30 degrees. It was pretty horrible, especially the night session. I was unprepared in every sense of the word!
Of course heavy rain is also no fun - especially on a bent, and even worse if it is cold too!
Last year's Calvin's Challenge was 12-hours in the 40-50 degree range with rain about 80% of the time, and at times extreme downpours.
It was more of a race of attrition, as riders just kept abandoning because of the cold and rain - and accidents due to the rain.
Last year as I recall the weather at Sebring was fantastic - Kevin rode to 276.6 in the 12-hour, however I crashed and dislocated my left shoulder after a front flat after only 107 miles. :(
I spent the whole rest of the day in the ER.
I'm looking to NOT repeat that event this year! That was actually my last flat, as I switched to Tubeless shortly after that, and that is what I plan on running at Sebring as well.

LarryOz

Monday is the dread low RPM strength work.
Dread is right - Oh man - I can hardly walk after doing 50-60 rpm intervals at such high wattage! (Excuse me while this old man goes and gets some icepacks for his knees!)
This should make the rest of the workouts this week seem nice

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 10.08.58 AM.png

CruzLike

Guru
Warning: this thread is going to hit a bump in the road.

This is something that I have not ironed out and need some experienced direction.
Question: Does the catheter pee tube exit behind your knee or your waist?

LarryOz

This is something that I have not ironed out and need some experienced direction.
I personally found it easier to find the tube and pull out of my cycling shorts when I taped it just below the top to the right.
Then it is easy to pull out and "aim" at the side of the road - or other riders if possible :eek::D:p!
Just kidding of course since you would tape it to your left side if you main objective was to aim it elsewhere.
Problem is, you will never fully evacuate the tube, so when you put it back - it may "pee" on you.

..which leads me to variation #2 for this topic.

This is going to sound nasty, but following in the "foot-steps" of some other great Ultra Cruzbike riders (names committed to protect the guilty) - I now do what they do - I just pee and let it drip out through my Ventist pad - a few squirts of water from the water bottle and you are a good (or as clean) as new - well, except for the all the sweat.

Hope that helps, but it probably does not.:rolleyes:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Warning: this thread is going to hit a bump in the road.

You need about 12" of tube and a right angle(90deg) tube fitting. Tube exits out the top of your shorts and then out the bottom of your jersey ether to the left or right. The right angle fitting goes on the end with another 1-1/2" piece of tubing to direct the fluid out to the side and down away from you. If done correctly you shouldn't have to touch the tube at all during a race. Take care for when adding on extra layers of clothing after the start that you don't cover the exit port with you jacket or vest, that could be bad.

At first you'll need to stop pedaling to pee, then eventually you'll only need to stop long enough to get a flow going, then eventually you may be able to just go with continued light pedaling.

You must make absolute sure that no one is anywhere near behind you when you go. If they are close enough to wonder what it is your leaking they are too close for you to go so get a mirror and be respectful.

Id suggest no less then 5 test rides with your catheter setup to iron out any issues because there are plenty of things that can go wrong.

I've never had any such failures but I've had some close calls I've observed after a ride that could have easily gone south.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I seem to recall Ewe Brockman (Recumbent rider from Atlanta) beating Marco and maybe Tarzan (who I think is coming) in a sprint a few years back in the 12 hour. Thre's a good chance Ewe will be there also.
Wow... I will have to hang around and see the finish

LarryOz

Note to the fast 12 hour racers. Just noticed Marco Baloh will be one of your several competitors.
I have just been emailing back and forth with Marko. He is hoping for 3-4 strong riders that can join with him and try and break 300 for the 12-hours.
So far there is Kevin, myself, and Jim Verheul (JV) (who rides a Bachetta I think) - I'm trying to find out if Kurt (Tarzan) is coming, and have also reached out to Billy and Jessie (a couple of young gun DF's that broke 500 in the N24HC last June). That would be a fun group to try and stay with. I think if everyone can pull a sub 4-hour solo Century, together 4 of them could break 300 for 12-hours if they work together.
Jason is my favorite for the 24-hour (he was even when I thought Marko was riding it!:rolleyes:), unless all this 12-hour "nonsense" temps him over to the "dark-side"! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I have just been emailing back and forth with Marko. He is hoping for 3-4 strong riders that can join with him and try and break 300 for the 12-hours.
So far there is Kevin, myself, and Jim Verheul (JV) (who rides a Bachetta I think) - I'm trying to find out if Kurt (Tarzan) is coming, and have also reached out to Billy and Jessie (a couple of young gun DF's that broke 500 in the N24HC last June). That would be a fun group to try and stay with. I think if everyone can pull a sub 4-hour solo Century, together 4 of them could break 300 for 12-hours if they work together.
Jason is my favorite for the 24-hour (he was even when I thought Marko was riding it!:rolleyes:), unless all this 12-hour "nonsense" temps him over to the "dark-side"! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D

Ca to Flordia is a long trip for a sprint race.