What I did to prepare for Sebring 2017 ---today

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hey good news folks ... It's getting warmer in Florida. I didn't need a jacket today and the first time in the year for putting on sun block.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
On hard to mount tubeless rims put in a tube and ride it. The next day try again. It has worked for me every time.
I would suggest 3 days of a tube, as My One Clincher went from 28.3 mm wide and 25.6 mm high above the rim, to 29.1 mm wide and 26.8 mm high above the rim after 3 days at 100 psi, and 29.5 mm wide and 27.5 mm high above the rim after 14 days at 100 psi!
So the largest size gain in three days!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
This isn't good. I was readjusting the Silvio 2.0 and the bottom bracket connector to front stay, derailleur holder thingy snapped. I really wasn't tightening it hard, honest I wasn't. Now I need a replacement fast. Sebring is in jeopardy. I need to wait a few hours for the West coast to wake up but if Robert doesn't carry them anyone have any suggestions?

Photo of what broke so we know what the "thingy" is

This isn't good. I was readjusting the Silvio 2.0 and the bottom bracket connector to front stay, derailleur holder thingy snapped. I really wasn't tightening it hard, honest I wasn't. Now I need a replacement fast. Sebring is in jeopardy. I need to wait a few hours for the West coast to wake up but if Robert doesn't carry them anyone have any suggestions?
If you can't get a replacement in time:
J-B Kwik
http://www.jbweld.com/

ratz

Yep that would be a problem. I Suspect robert has those and can get it to you; the part hasn't changed since the 2.0 was released.

ratz

"No more Cruzbikes on the NEO" I say on the way to pull the Musashi out of the attic.

That's gotta be a fluke; probably wise on the run up to sebring and not like you can use the broken one. But we've had Silvios mounted for 100's of riding hours and v20's even longer. You'll be safe to continue post event I think.

ratz

• Last few days Ride Ride Ride.
  • Adjust ride times to correspond with omg it's early even by EST standards.
  • Try not to eat the fridge during daylight hours.
  • Chase down missing supplies; risk of tubeless is finding out you don't have a single "fresh" 700c emergency tube on hand
  • Start tracking travel weather and event weather forecast
  • Fine tune the race analysis software ; first 12 hour ride for PB so running analytics and building several "pacing" plans that can be used in a fall back progression on event day as she finds her comfort zone.
  • Wonder how the heck all the packing is going to get done without taking a day off work.
  • Consider posting totally inflated test ride results to mess with anyone that's watching strava.. :emoji_kissing_heart:

ratz

Good luck, I don't think I ever got them to bead up tubeless but I gave up after only a few tries because I deemed it not worth it for the rough roads of Borego Springs.
The Corsa's showed up today; wow that is the most freaky tire side wall I have ever handled. No wonder they roll so fast.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
The Corsa's showed up today; wow that is the most freaky tire side wall I have every handled. No wonder they roll so fast.

The more you handle them the more you wonder if they are a good idea for an important race. I'll eventually run mine but I'll look forward to your review in the meantime.

ratz

The more you handle them the more you wonder if they are a good idea for an important race. I'll eventually run mine but I'll look forward to your review in the meantime.

Since I'm the domestic until the 11 mile loop I'm going to run these but back in the pits will be backup wheels with either my trusty Pro Ones; or if I'm feeling adventurous the Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik TL's I have in the basement..... I suspect base on prices alone the Fusion will wind up the day to day tire as they are cheap and faster than the Pro Ones (for now) and the Vittorias can be event wheels but who knows.

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I never understood that first video. Is that supposed to be about the tire resistance to punctures? Or that it can reseal instantly after going over nails?

I find it hard to believe those last nails didn't go through but then again they did have then spaced very close together to distribute the point load.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I never understood that first video. Is that supposed to be about the tire resistance to punctures? Or that it can reseal instantly after going over nails?

I find it hard to believe those last nails didn't go through but then again they did have then spaced very close together to distribute the point load.
It is impressive: But those are really "toy" nails - I would like to see them run over a 12 penny nails sticking out a piece of plywood, or a bunch of roofing nails, that you would most likely run over out in the real world.
Then see what happens.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Today I took my newly mounted ProOne tubeless tires on my 86mm CF wheels to my "secret test facility". First time outside since Oct 26!
Larry at track.jpg
Mostly because this is going to be the only decent outside day to ride before I head off to Sebring next Thursday after work. Plus I really wanted to ride them for awhile and get the sealant all sloshed and mixed around good.
I also tried to do some testing with 2 different wheel sets:
CF tri-spoke with 23mm GP4000 tires against CF 86mm with 25mm ProOnes.
It was darn windy you could actually here the flag snapping in the wind (Forecast said 15 sustained with gusts to 25) - They were right, maybe even a little low.
Flag.jpg
Man going down that back stretch was a killer!
I rode 6 sets of 4 minutes at 135, 145, 155, 165, 177 & 185 watts on the Tri-spoke wheels, then switched cassette over to the ProOne mounted set and did it all over again:
Results: (strange because of the wind!) - but based on my last testing of similar wheels and tires they are extremely close to each other.
Wheel tires watts speed
=======================
Tri-Sp w/GP4000 134 21.7
Tri-Sp w/GP4000 144 22.5
Tri-Sp w/GP4000 157 23.2
Tri-Sp w/GP4000 165 24.3
Tri-Sp w/GP4000 175 24.7
Tri-Sp w/GP4000 189 24.4 (wind was blowing considerably harder, so avg speed slower than 175watt lap
CF 86mm w/ProOne 134 22.1
CF 86mm w/ProOne 147 22.5
CF 86mm w/ProOne 156 23.1
CF 86mm w/ProOne 166 23.5
CF 86mm w/ProOne 176 24.0
CF 86mm w/ProOne 185 25.0

All in all a pretty nice Feb.1st 68 degrees and sunny - and windy - but 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 4.41.45 PM.png
In the end, the average speed of 22.5 on 149 watts also was in line with the laps at that wattage, so good double check.
Pretty pleased with that speed, especially because of the wind.
Subtract at least 1mph for riding on the open rode though. :)
The kicker of the day was that 2 moms showed up with 5 or 6 kids, bikes, scooters, and 2 un-teathered Large dogs.
The dogs likes to chase me and each other. A couple of time I really thought they were going to take me out!
Luckily the moms decided they did not want their kids riding their bikes with the old man in spandex riding 25 mph around the track, so I did not have to deal with the kids on the bikes and scooters.
At least I know the wheels and tires are good to go - got one good set and one backup now.

scabinetguy

trplay, I have this part on a Silvio 1.5 that I don't ride anymore. It came from my Silvetta creation. If you can't find it anywhere else we probably can work something out....Steve

CruzLike

Guru
Beginning to pile up clothes, riding gear, tools, spare parts, food and supplements to name a few.
Still need to finish faux disc wheels and headrest.
Loaded 100 sebring route into Elemnt.
Off for 2 hour ride.
Good Luck Trplay

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I am so friggin irritated. I bought a lot of new gear to put on the bike for Sebring and it still isn't here. A couple of days ago they said they were going to try and send it by BA and now they say it will be arriving tomorrow night at 10pm so that basically means I won't be picking it up until Friday.

The brake levers ordered were the wrong size so I had to get the 24 mm TRP brakes. I decided to go considerably narrower with the bullhorns but as I am not using brifters I can get away with it. 400mm width side to side. Once the bike is up and running it should be more stable due to the wing type design. I have never used bar end levers... So it should be quite an eventful few days coming up. I just wish I could have done this a week ago... Friggin airlines

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

There is just an irritating problem... No room for mirrors so I think I will have to pull a Larry solution out of the hat and get the mirrors that you can wear on your arms.