XShifter...new wireless shifting option

BrianA

I thought I would share my experience of fitting the x-shifter to my flat bar road bike. So far I have only fitted the x-shifter to the rear derailleur using the app currently available for the i-phone. I tried the android app currently available on play store and couldn't get it to work at all even though it indicated that it had connected to the shifter.

Connecting the battery - the battery certainly won't fall off during a ride. It takes a good push to get it to click into place. On the downside I found it virtually impossible to remove by hand alone. Perhaps I have very weak hands (I don't think so) but I can't push the release catch in far enough just by hand to release the battery. Carefully using a small screwdriver as a lever works but not a good idea long term I would suspect. For that reason I'm reluctant to keep removing the battery and will have to charge it fitted.

Mounting the shifter - at first I mounted it to the chain stay to more or less follow the route the cable was already taking. When going for a test ride I found that my heel would occasionally strike the shifter, so I had to move it to the seat stay. I believe this to be the best option anyway as it results in a straighter cable run.

Setting up - Unfortunately my gear set (Shimano Ultegra 11 speed) was not amongst the few set ups available currently for auto set up, so I had to do it manually. The current app gives the options of natural or linear cable pulls. Without instructions (Paul has explained why they are not provided at the moment) I had no idea what the best option would be. I experimented with both and really couldn't see much difference between them. I set up the smallest cog first then the largest as per Paul's instructional video. The gears did not operate properly across the whole range in either natural or linear cable pull options. In the end I just opted for natural (which seems to be the default on the app) and had to fine tune each gear change. This was simple enough but a bit time consuming.

I now seem to have the rear derailleur system working ok with smooth changes both up and down the cassette, but I haven't done extensive road testing yet.

I have decided to delay fitting the shifter to the front derailleur for the time being because:

The app currently available doesn't give you the option of choosing between front and rear derailleurs, so it would be necessary to remove the battery from the rear in order to pair and set up the system on the front. Hopefully this will be sorted out once the new app is available. Not a big issue anyway as the front derailleur gets used a lot less than the rear.

I've noticed that if the shifter is not used for a while it seems to go into sleep mode (presumably to save battery power) and it requires several pushes of a button on the remote to connect it again. Again I may be missing something here.

In conclusion the x-shifter is great value especially compared with alternative offerings from Shimano and Scram and I'm looking forward to receiving the second system for my S30. I'm sure most of the issues that I experienced in setting it up was due to the fact that I was using an interim app and that once the new app is available for both android and ios things will be much more straightforward.

3WHELZ

Guru
BrianA,

For those of us still waiting -- thank you for sharing your experience. I think this will be a learning opportunity for all of us that have invested in the product. Would you also be willing to share some pics of your current configuration?

Dean

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Probably last post from me on xshifter. Last night I resurrected my old iPhone. Not doing anything for 6 months it decided to behave dead like. Fortunately after a couple of hours it read 1% and this morning perfect.

After reading BrianA's post it was easier to setup xshifter as I have the shimano ultegra 11 group set and indeed it's natural. The loading for me for the largest cog was 25. Oddly enough I had to put in a minimum amount for the smallest cog so 0.1 was used. I found that I needed 2 hands to play with the deurallier, pedal and iPhone. Not sure what would happen if you had a battery failure... from what I have seen it would just mimic sleep mode so stay in the current gear. If you were out climbing mountains with a battery failure it might be worth carrying a spare gear cable just so you can tie it up into a higher gear.

Once set up in natural mode and going thru all the gears , I have to say I'm very impressed. The gear change is exact and quiet. When the crank is moving you can't even hear the adjusting increments when tuning. So the bike is set up now and looks amazing.
vBallerina.jpg
I use a fold up chair as a stand. Great for fine tuning gears.

xshifterSetup.jpg

DavidCH

This stuff is absolute genius ...
putty1.jpg

What's that?

I made it with black silicon caulk and corn starch.

It's to stick in the bar ends and makes it aero and comfortable.

barend1.jpg
If you mix with a lot of corn starch so it doesn't stick to your hands; it sets hard.

barend2.jpg

I will try it out when the storm passes and the road dries up.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
This stuff is absolute genius ...
View attachment 7215

What's that?

I made it with black silicon caulk and corn starch.

It's to stick in the bar ends and makes it aero and comfortable.

View attachment 7217
If you mix with a lot of corn starch so it doesn't stick to your hands; it sets hard.

View attachment 7218

I will try it out when the storm passes and the road dries up.
Dave, what is the Xshifter like on the road?

DavidCH

On the bike it's pure genius. I've just come back from the Camino de Santiago and I've had such a bad back I haven't ridden it yet!

Also in the news Paul is thinking rather negatively about dual control xshifter ... having two xshifters on the vendetta doesn't interest me.

(Remember if you walk long distances with flat feet make sure you have arch inserts in your shoes otherwise you find out the hard way)

DavidCH

Drool time. It was the perfect moment. I hesitated way too long. So she is out of her stables. I think it's fair to say this bike is worth a mint of gold. The noise of the wind makes me think xshifter hasn't worked. From 28kph I'm now 37kph with only 135watts. Can that be right ???

Totally blown away and people are so excited it either makes drivers incredibly enthusiastic and they go crazy beeping their horn.

I'm thrilled to bits that I've finally got her out. If you have one speed drive chain I can thoroughly recommend xshifter.

And of course here is the picture that speeds a thousand words (and it shreds DFs)
v20xshifterdrool.jpg

DavidCH

Well unfortunately I can't see my stats on the Wahoo Elemnt unless I lift myself up so actually lifting myself up reduces the power

Not sure what to do about that. Maybe buy the sportiiii attachment and put them on the glasses. I'm only interested in power.

Just don't want to keep spending. LOL

DavidCH

Like the combo front end.
I had to rotate the boom mounting bracket 180degrees so that it could accommodate the xshifter. When I am happy with boom length I am thinking of securing the boom with a hole bolt setup so that it would cause the least amount of turbulence. Or I could take the black mount bracket off and file it down and put it back on. Who knows, Robert might have one in his box of tricks. The other little irritation is as the xshifter button selector face up; the buttons left right need to be swapped right left. So chain changing to the right is done by right button and changing to the left with the left button. Just before getting to the restaurant for breakfast, a pedestrian didn't bother to look and walked out straight in front of me. I had one foot out and I could see it coming but it was a button scramble left right panic which one's the correct one????

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Latest from Paul Gallagher - https://www.kickstarter.com/project...st-universal-wireless-smart-shi/posts/2305187

In hindsight, Kickstarter was a very bad decision. It was an easy way to get funding, but it fell far short of what is really required for this project. I have had to self fund the majority of the development and production. We in fact lost money on Kickstarter when you consider all the costs. We should have sought more traditional funding. Kickstarter was also a very poor venue for promoting the product. To this day, 95% of people in the bike industry have never heard of XShifter. At the Taichung Bike Week I talked to dozens of industry insiders. Not a one of them knew about the product. But everyone that saw it, believes it is the future of bike shifters.

In the world of Kickstarter, XShifter is a success story. If you look at other Kickstarter projects, virtually all end up going bad. 90% never reach funding. Of the 10% that are funded, 90% never deliver on the promises at all.

Like most Kickstarter projects, we began with little more than a concept, and a dream. Because XShifter was such a new product, we really did not have the right idea for the final form. We had working prototypes, but a lot more work and research needed to be done to get it to the final stage. As a result, there will be some changes.

Pods: The first MTB pod was ok, but not very good ergonomics. We have since developed the mini pod, and some others that are coming soon. We have developed the electronics to the point that it can be miniaturized and fit inside a brake lever blade. Nobody else in the world can do this. The first concept for the Road pod was poorly conceived. It was not possible to achieve acceptable ergonomics. Additionally, we plan to license the transmitter technology to any OEM or component manufacturer that wants to integrate into XShifter. This will soon provide many more options, including brifter style shifters.

Dual shifter: This seemed like a great idea at the time, but in fact the demand for it is quite small. Most backers chose it purely from the cost standpoint. We are discontinuing its development for now. Perhaps it will come back in the future. Instead, we will work on reducing the size/weight of the single shifter. At Taichung Bike Week we unveiled a prototype of a shifter that can fit inside the chain stay of the frame. We are receiving significant OEM interest on this product.

Android: When Kickstarter began, Android and iOS were fairly equal in their use. But in the last 2 years, Android has gained a far bigger market share. So we may move the primary development to Android. The app is currently in beta testing. We hope it will be done in a few more weeks.

Now that we have reached a distribution agreement, we are going to start ramping up production more rapidly. All backers of the dual system, will instead receive 2 single shifters. This is really a better solution on almost all bikes. This is going to take a few months more months to accomplish, so I ask for your patience.
=============================================================

I am a "dual system backer"...Ho hum

Correction, I did order the Combo 12/2017...I hope I get it within the next 6 months (he said sarcastically). :)

Last edited:

3WHELZ

Guru
I had planned to purchase the dual system, but Paul convinced me to take the path of the combo (two single) shifters after I sent him some pics of the S40. I think you will find that you will have greater flexibility. If I recall, the combo was about $20 more.

Like many others, I am still waiting. I am planning to replace my current Di2 DuraAce 10sp set-up.

DavidCH

Is there anything on the market that will give a WiFi push button actuated front deurallier ? I can’t think of anything worse than another xshifter on the boom?
Maybe a rotor hydraulic front deurallier might be an option but need to find out more.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Is there anything on the market that will give a WiFi push button actuated front deurallier ? I can’t think of anything worse than another xshifter on the boom?
Maybe a rotor hydraulic front deurallier might be an option but need to find out more.
Why Wifi?

BrianA

DavidCH - I intend fitting the x-shifter system to my S30 once the road pod issue is sorted out and have a question for you regarding your set up. Why did you fit the E-Link for the rear derailleur on the boom rather than the fork which would have given you a much shorter cable run? My intention is to fit the E-Link for the rear derailleur to the fork and the E-Link for the front derailleur to the boom as far forward as possible. Have you found a problem that is not obvious to me?