XShifter...new wireless shifting option

BrianA

Latest update: Like most backers of this product I am very frustrated by the constant excuses and delays. I'm seriously beginning to wonder whether I will ever see this product.

XShifter Is Alive and Well

Posted by Paul Gallagher (Creator)

Despite some rumors on the internet, XShifter is alive and well! Although we are still not caught up with orders, we are in fact shipping product and there are many people around the world that are enjoying the product.

All product from the last build is shipped, and we are preparing the next batch. Our bottleneck continues to be batteries. As I mentioned in a recent post, recent international regulation changes have made it very difficult for small companies like XShifter to manufacture batteries. The lead time has increased from a few weeks, to months. We are currently waiting for batteries so we can resume shipping. The supplier has promised to ship next week.

The iOS has been tested and updated. If you are currently using XShifter, please update your APP. We made some significant improvements to the setup procedure and eliminated all the known bugs.

Android: A Kickstarter backer, Michael Ho has taken on the development of Android, and is making great progress. I won’t give an exact time because his time is limited on this. If you are an Android or BLE expert, and are willing to help please contact us.

Sales: We are in fact selling a few systems ahead of queue of the Kickstarter backers. We have no choice. This is a business and we still need to make money to keep operating. I know this seems unfair, but it was inevitable considering the delays and cost overruns. I’ve seen this happen on almost all complex Kickstarter projects, and now I can understand why.

Combo systems: We are shipping a few of these to trusted people. The software is not fully functional, so it requires a little extra work on the setup. Once we get the software fully functional, we will start shipping to all.

Dual ELink: Unfortunately we still need to get a few things worked out with the 1X firmware before releasing the dual. If we do it now, it will just create a lot of frustration and bad experience. But I can assure you it won’t be too much longer.

Road Pods: We have decided to abandon the Road Pod. We just could not come up with a good ergonomic solution that worked on all bikes. The good news, the mini pod is much better! So we will include 2 mini pods with the Road systems once we start shipping. The mini pod weighs only 12 grams, including battery, making it the lightest shifting control ever made.

Testing: We have learned a lot from the early product shipments and have improved the product testing. This will greatly reduce the number of customer issues.

We are still supporting hand cycles as much as possible. SportCrafters in Indiana will be a primary distributor. He should be receiving some stock very soon. He will be providing some awesome solutions for hand bikes!

Again, I have to apologize for the delays and the lack of communication. I’m totally focused on production and engineering. I have a very small staff, so I need to personally do almost everything. Its an overwhelming task.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Latest update: Like most backers of this product I am very frustrated by the constant excuses and delays. I'm seriously beginning to wonder whether I will ever see this product.

XShifter Is Alive and Well

Posted by Paul Gallagher (Creator)

Despite some rumors on the internet, XShifter is alive and well! Although we are still not caught up with orders, we are in fact shipping product and there are many people around the world that are enjoying the product.

All product from the last build is shipped, and we are preparing the next batch. Our bottleneck continues to be batteries. As I mentioned in a recent post, recent international regulation changes have made it very difficult for small companies like XShifter to manufacture batteries. The lead time has increased from a few weeks, to months. We are currently waiting for batteries so we can resume shipping. The supplier has promised to ship next week.

The iOS has been tested and updated. If you are currently using XShifter, please update your APP. We made some significant improvements to the setup procedure and eliminated all the known bugs.

Android: A Kickstarter backer, Michael Ho has taken on the development of Android, and is making great progress. I won’t give an exact time because his time is limited on this. If you are an Android or BLE expert, and are willing to help please contact us.

Sales: We are in fact selling a few systems ahead of queue of the Kickstarter backers. We have no choice. This is a business and we still need to make money to keep operating. I know this seems unfair, but it was inevitable considering the delays and cost overruns. I’ve seen this happen on almost all complex Kickstarter projects, and now I can understand why.

Combo systems: We are shipping a few of these to trusted people. The software is not fully functional, so it requires a little extra work on the setup. Once we get the software fully functional, we will start shipping to all.

Dual ELink: Unfortunately we still need to get a few things worked out with the 1X firmware before releasing the dual. If we do it now, it will just create a lot of frustration and bad experience. But I can assure you it won’t be too much longer.

Road Pods: We have decided to abandon the Road Pod. We just could not come up with a good ergonomic solution that worked on all bikes. The good news, the mini pod is much better! So we will include 2 mini pods with the Road systems once we start shipping. The mini pod weighs only 12 grams, including battery, making it the lightest shifting control ever made.

Testing: We have learned a lot from the early product shipments and have improved the product testing. This will greatly reduce the number of customer issues.

We are still supporting hand cycles as much as possible. SportCrafters in Indiana will be a primary distributor. He should be receiving some stock very soon. He will be providing some awesome solutions for hand bikes!

Again, I have to apologize for the delays and the lack of communication. I’m totally focused on production and engineering. I have a very small staff, so I need to personally do almost everything. Its an overwhelming task.

Thanks for taking time to update us...

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Forever waiting. I even ordered an extra one from their website thinking that would get to me before the backing one. Guessed wrong.. serious issues with this start up. Paul (ceo) says the right things and gets the market into a frenzy. ... my v20 has been lame waiting for this update.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Forever waiting. I even ordered an extra one from their website thinking that would get to me before the backing one. Guessed wrong.. serious issues with this start up. Paul (ceo) says the right things and gets the market into a frenzy. ... my v20 has been lame waiting for this update.
Its been TWO years since the crowd funding started!
Did people pay their Pledged amount of money up front?

Last edited:

DavidCH

What a surprise. The xshifter I ordered is imminently on its way! I got an email from Paul to complete the order with a contact telephone number and he will send it out. I'm really really pleased. My vendetta is really waiting for this update patiently. I have a long chainstay boom set up and chopped aero bars for minimal controls so a Wi-Fi button gear change will allow me to beat all my PBs. Being on the DF for so long this summer has made me lean and mean. :cruzbike::cruzbike::cruzbike:

BrianA

Lucky you. I wonder what prompted that. A couple of months ago Paul offered to send me the systems I pledged for with two controllers due to the fact that one of the software issues was getting one controller to operate two shifters. I gladly accepted that offer (twice) by email. Needless to say I'm still waiting and have heard nothing since.

BrianA

DavidCH - as a matter of interest, the X-Shifter that is "on its way" is that the one ordered from the website or the one pledged through Kickstarter?

DavidCH

DavidCH - as a matter of interest, the X-Shifter that is "on its way" is that the one ordered from the website or the one pledged through Kickstarter?
I'm not going to push it. Let's just see what comes. I'm riding the V on one chainring at the moment so I don't mind what comes. It would be great though if I could get the pledge, that was for a dual controller.

DavidCH

Ok... what do you reckon, shall I cement it or wait an endless amounts of weeks for a new gear changer of a bar end type?
xshifterchanger2.jpg
xshifterChanger1.jpg

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Since you are asking the question I'm betting on you are not the type who is so stuck on exactly the right part from the box. Therefore, cement away because
-you have the part now and don't have to wait,
-you don't have to negotiate, argue, find a bill of sale, ship anything back, etc.
-you can ride in 24hrs.
There is nothing like not being able to ride (or ride THAT :cruzbike: bike) to make you want to ride. So do it and go have some fun. You could drill a small hole and bolt it in too it looks like there could be space - or you could put one of those adapters on, clamp another bit of handlebar to that, ... :p There, that's my nickel's worth (we got rid of pennies here in Canada so gotta round up from 2c worth).

BrianA

I pledged for two combo systems. One with pods suitable for a flat bar road bike and one with pods suitable for drop bars (to be fitted to my Silvio S30). There have been delays in shipping combo systems because of software issues in getting one pod to operate two shifters and also issues with the design of the drop bar pods. With respect to the drop bar pods there is now a new mini pod design which overcomes the mounting problems that were being experienced with the original design. These are currently being manufactured and are a few weeks away. The mini pod only has two buttons so it will be necessary to have two pods (one for each shifter) if you are going for a combo system. I advised Paul that I was happy to have two flat bar pods rather than wait for the software issues to be sorted out and yesterday I received that combo system - same as David CH's but with two of everything. I will be fitting this system to a flat bar road bike, which will be good practice for when I eventually receive the system for my Silvio. While there has been a lot of delay and frustration for the X-Shifter backers I have to say that the finished product appears to be extremely well designed and manufactured to a very high standard. If it works as well as it looks it will be amazing. I'll let you know how it goes.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Wrap the pod in thin tape first, then glue it in position!
Then when the correct part arrives, just send back the old one, as long as it looks brand new!

DavidCH

I'll cement an aluminium strip in with two holes so I can screw it into place. When the dual control is sent to me I will remove the 1x xshifter and put it on the hybrid bike.

DavidCH

Just taken everything out of the box and put the battery on charge. Everything is imminent. There aren't any instruction in the box which I thought was forgetful. But in the face of it... a few different types of attachments and three screws isn't going to throw me off track much.. the xshifter has different width of attachments to suit different frames and locations. It's held on by zip ties so a periodic check would be useful... the thought of having someone flapping by my front wheel isn't nice. Rear wheel not to bad as if anything happens you can go in a straight line. Anyway that going to be m only negative comment. Pictures will be uploaded as I go on.

I decided to mount the xshifter here as when the dual controller comes this will be where it will be located. The unit is light but could have better aero capability. Pro riders would go for the Sram etap wireless deuralliers. But for $200 and have a minimalist cockpit, it has to be bargain of the century.
xshifterMount.jpg

Last edited:

DavidCH

One other thing with xshifter. Doesn't work for android at the moment but there has to be a fix in the pipeline soon