XShifter...new wireless shifting option

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
DavidCH - I intend fitting the x-shifter system to my S30 once the road pod issue is sorted out and have a question for you regarding your set up. Why did you fit the E-Link for the rear derailleur on the boom rather than the fork which would have given you a much shorter cable run? My intention is to fit the E-Link for the rear derailleur to the fork and the E-Link for the front derailleur to the boom as far forward as possible. Have you found a problem that is not obvious to me?
It's a case of being aero... the xshifter sticks out quite a bit. The boom is nice and wide so that why it's there. It's just that I don't want two of them hanging from the boom. It's not terribly heavy. Just big enough to make steering even more twitchy in a stiff wind.

DavidCH

My xshifter Kickstarter pledge has not manifested. I'm not impressed. Paul seems to have washed his hands of things. I just from now on watch Kickstarter products from a distance. Just got to wait for the power meter from iqsquared

super slim

Zen MBB Master
My xshifter Kickstarter pledge has not manifested. I'm not impressed. Paul seems to have washed his hands of things. I just from now on watch Kickstarter products from a distance. Just got to wait for the power meter from iqsquared
I am also waiting for the IQ2 power meter from a distance, as the delivery date has just moved out to the middle on Jan 2019, 2 days before it was meant to be released on Nov 29th!!!!!

DavidCH

delivery date has just moved out to the middle on Jan 2019, 2 days before it was meant to
Sounds like calibration issues... surely you would check things like that with the prototype. If it's the ti membrane not cut exactly to specification. That must be impossible to sort out. Fingers crossed. Perhaps they can tweak the firmware.

DavidCH

I'm thinking of selling mine. It's just 1 speed drive chain. I am losing around 10 watts by using it and the faster I try to go the worst it gets.

I'll have to put my hands deep in my pockets and buy the sram red etap hoods and deuralliers. Without the wires and block on the boom I'd probably save 15 watts and get to the wonderful 50 kph at 280 watts.

Guess that will have to be this year's budget.

DavidCH

Well if you got cables then it's about 4 watts ... the big hanging xshifter box on the boom is impossible to hide and I reckon the surface area is 3 times more than the cables. If Paul gets around implementing the dual controller then logic would tell you that would be even bigger. So round it all up and it's 15 watts. Now if you don't want to exceed 45kph+ on the flats and don't want to spend
€$£1200 then xshifter has to be a good idea. (Guess you would call it marginal gains). I have seen sram red etap upgrade... brifters and deuralliers for $950. Perhaps it's time to visit America.

I like talking myself into buying something that I only really like to dream about.

The other side of the coin... some di2 fanatic cruzbikers probably regularly hit over 45kph... if they do I would like to know if they have been drilling holes and hiding their wires?

Last edited:

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
After watching that video and looking over my cabling job and other bits, I must have about 200 watts to gain with just a little house keeping! Honestly, I’m thinking my size 13 feet probably cost me plenty as it is . . . Maybe I should try binding them!

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
The other side of the coin... some di2 fanatic cruzbikers probably regularly hit over 45kph... if they do I would like to know if they have been drilling holes and hiding their wires?

I bought Larry Oslund's Di2 setup after he went to etap. This is how I routed the wires through the boom. There's just enough clearance underneath the handlebar clamp for the wiring to slide through, so I took out the bottom screw in the boom and enlarged the hole with a drill, and that's where the wiring exits to go to the blip box. The battery is located inside the front portion of the boom:

DSCN0218-XL.jpg

DSCN0219-XL.jpg

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Latest info from Pete Colan, US distributor below dated 04-16-2019. I have a tracking number and will be receiving my order tomorrow...finally. :)

Almost on your bike!!

As many of you know, many of you don't, I received in the US the first production shipment of XShifters with mini-pods last week. Unfortunately it occurred during a planned knee surgery and recovery so I've been out of the shop for a few weeks and haven't had a chance to check them out myself before releasing them. I do not expect any issues, but I just want to be ABSOLUTELY sure!

These will be ready to ship next week, I'll be burning the midnight oil over the weekend getting shipments ready.

I've had many emails with most of you, and believe I have most of it straight, but again.. so as to avoid any mistakes PLEASE confirm with me the following:
  1. Ship-to address including you phone number (for the shipping company; Postal or Fedex), and if you prefer Postal or Fedex
  2. Which product(s) can we ship to complete your original order as closely as possible...
  • # of individual Elinks (combo is not available),
  • Which pod style (Pod X or Mini Pods),
  • any extra parts?
For reference, the products can be seen here: http://www.ciclovation.com/pro.php?m=l&f=73&cid=74

And the most updated installation/ programming manual can be found here: http://www.ciclovation.com/dl.php

If you have any questions, I'm here to help. Having struggled thru several setups with other customers, hopefully I can help!!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Pete Colan

SportCrafters%202%20Lines%20Logo.jpg

www.sportcrafters.com
51345 Bittersweet Road , Granger, IN 46530
p: 574 - 243 - BIKE or 574 -243-2453 | c: 574-309-5928

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Latest info from Pete Colan, US distributor below dated 04-16-2019. I have a tracking number and will be receiving my order tomorrow...finally. :)

Almost on your bike!!

As many of you know, many of you don't, I received in the US the first production shipment of XShifters with mini-pods last week. Unfortunately it occurred during a planned knee surgery and recovery so I've been out of the shop for a few weeks and haven't had a chance to check them out myself before releasing them. I do not expect any issues, but I just want to be ABSOLUTELY sure!

These will be ready to ship next week, I'll be burning the midnight oil over the weekend getting shipments ready.

I've had many emails with most of you, and believe I have most of it straight, but again.. so as to avoid any mistakes PLEASE confirm with me the following:
  1. Ship-to address including you phone number (for the shipping company; Postal or Fedex), and if you prefer Postal or Fedex
  2. Which product(s) can we ship to complete your original order as closely as possible...
  • # of individual Elinks (combo is not available),
  • Which pod style (Pod X or Mini Pods),
  • any extra parts?
For reference, the products can be seen here: http://www.ciclovation.com/pro.php?m=l&f=73&cid=74

And the most updated installation/ programming manual can be found here: http://www.ciclovation.com/dl.php

If you have any questions, I'm here to help. Having struggled thru several setups with other customers, hopefully I can help!!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Pete Colan

SportCrafters%202%20Lines%20Logo.jpg

www.sportcrafters.com
51345 Bittersweet Road , Granger, IN 46530
p: 574 - 243 - BIKE or 574 -243-2453 | c: 574-309-5928
Have you installed the XShifter yet and how did it go?

DavidCH

Usually i have to interface with the xshifter with an iphone. Today i updated the app software and xshifter firmware via android. Ans stone me... it worked and it keeps my settings. However i still don't see battery power percentage. This is a bit irritating. Perhaps its time to charge up the spare battery and put it in the bag.

DavidCH

Xshifter... now if there was expert battery management the system would select an easier gear just before you were to lose complete power. Otherwise you have to tweak the cable tensioner in hopes that you can manually select an easier gear.

Doesnt help if you have just gone down a hill when the battery runs out. As it means you have to go back up the hill to get home.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I did receive my kit..but, due to numerous 'life' issues, I have not had the opportunity to install it. I hope to get that done this next week. I will report as soon as i get it installed.
Got it installed...and it's working fine. A couple of things... Be sure to download the 'new' android app if you have an android phone. Second, the E-link devices and the minipods, pair through bluetooth...so, don't have any devices near them should you need to re-pair (you shouldn't have to do that as they come pre-paired). I found myself needed to re-pair and my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 kept grabbing the connection (evidenced by Elin showing as connected on my phone). As soon as I disabled bluetooth on my phone, I was able to re-pair...and it is stupidly simple, I might add.

You will have to play around a bit with the shifting using the app, to get it just right, but once you do, it's nailed. Shifting is very smooth. My only complaint is aesthetic...I have two Elink devices and they are, well, to be frank, not pleasing to the eye. They are bulky and will certainly disrupt the aerodynamics. But, it is a 'relatively' inexpensive way to 'test out' electronic shifting if you want to. I recommend purchasing additional batteries to carry for an emergency, but, I'm a bit OCD. :)

Finally, I got my Xshifter system sent to me by Pete Colan, whom, I mention above. He is dedicated to GREAT customer service. As we were trying to figure out my E-link /minipods paring issue, he offered to send me a new minpod.

If you originally purchased an Xshifter system but haven't received it yet, give Pete a call or shoot him an email. He is fulfilling all of the back orders for the US.

Last edited: