Zwift - Cruzbike Activities (races and group rides)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
:lol had a feeling that group started to fall apart in a way it shouldn't have as soon as I jumped in. I was on my post race cool down when I clicked the ride with moose button and then you guys go all speed racer on me. I tried to keep my pace civil and even helped pull a few riders back into the group who were so rudely dropped by you hot head :rolleyes: your effort up those climbs were legit and it seems youve improved quite a bit since we last rode together. Till I see you in the next one ride on :cruzbike:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
After last nights race I had a random follower add themselves to my stalker list on zwift with (bent) in their name. Could be the effect of racing with my new Recumbent Dork name.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
If you're a lady and you didn't race in the London Ladies race you missed out. It's a s simple as that. Team moose having a very good race was able to hold on until the final push in the "C's". Here's the broadcast. If you don't have much time just skip to the 1:00:00 mark and get the "A" finish and then Nathan picks up the end of the "c" category race. https://www.facebook.com/ZwiftCommunityLive/videos/1943865265871006/

Team Moose looking good out there for a 5th place finish, could have used some cheering on to keep her in that breakaway at the end.

I tried the P Race today and just to change things up on a flat race course I tried using a TT bike. For those who don't know the TT bike is a bit more aero in it's own but receives to drafting benefit from other riders. The real catch is other rider can draft you just fine so some tactics do come into play, it's actually kind of similar to when I ride the Vendetta against my noon ride group. Because I can't draft I opted to start out steady at 5.0wkg instead of the normal 7-8wkg. After the first 2 mins I was already 20 seconds behind but the gap had stabilized a bit. At one point I got the gap down to 8 seconds but then the leaders when hard and opened it back to 30 seconds. This in turn dropped several of the riders off the group and slowly into my clutches. I made sure to surge as I pasted each of these riders so they couldn't latch on as I continued to average 4.6wkg for the first 30 mins. I was pushing hard to keep the leaders in sight and just as I got it back down to 15 seconds they surged to 40 seconds ahead and dropped 2 more riders reducing their group to 3 riders. The real problem for me was that two of the leaders I know are just that much stronger than me always playing with riders like me like a cat with a mouse but the third rider in their group who was leading all the breaks was a flagged rider from being DQ in many other events. He was forcing the pace and pulling those two along with him which was making my life much harder. As the two dropped riders from the recent surge fell back to me I tried to break through but after 20 seconds of 7-8wkg I had to back off and they were just able to hang on. I rested a couple mins and tried again but with the same result and now the leaders were 90 seconds up the road. The one of the three leaders being an auto DQ our little pack of 3 was battling for bronze. I dropped back about 5 seconds and just held a steady pace forcing those two to pull their own weight for the next 20 mins. Every so often I'd close to within 1 second and make them antsy but would drop back and keep my steady 3.6 effort. With 10 miles left live zwiftpower results showed me at 4.1wkg average from my earlier 4.6 and as an A racer it's a matter of pride to finish within the limits of the A category so I needed to stay above 4.0. Again I mounted another attack flying past the pair ahead with them only mounting a momentary attack that they quickly abandoned. The leaders were now 3 mins ahead of me but all I cared about was getting my power solidly above 4.0wkg for the last 9 miles which was tough after such a solid earlier effort and those 3 sprint efforts I pulled out. I finished 3 mins back but after the results were finalized I finished 3rd with my 95% wkg and HR being highlighted in red because I had the highest values of everyone in the race which is a first for me. Finishing the the highest wkg value is even more respectable than a race win in my eyes because it shows you pushed harder than every other rider and are bound to benefit the greater gains in the future. I think the TT bike is better used for races where you beleive the lead group will be less than 5 riders. Against a pack of 10 and the group drafting benefit would be too strong to match.

Also as a side note because I was trying to focus on such a steady effort on a very flat course I changed my trainer slider to 0% after the first few miles because I found the slight grades forcing me to shift annoying. I probably wouldn't have make the change if it was a hilly course though.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Apparently the Zwift P-race is modeled after an actual real life fast weekly group ride in North Carolina I wonder if any of the cruzbike folks have heard or ridden in it?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Found out today that one of the Team Experimental racers who keeps kicking my ass used to ride a Bachetta before he started getting serious and competitive in riding. It was cool to find out one of these super fast guys has a recumbent background even if they never pushed it to the limit like they have their later DF choice.

Choose to race the TT bike again and this time I stuck with the group for the sprint finish but sadly I had worked pretty hard the whole race to stay on terms that I didn't have the legs for the end. I still managed over 900 watts in the last 15 seconds but that was not enough when the other guys are pulling 1000-1200watts with aero power ups. I still like who the TT bike races with me not having to cover every attack and lets me slowly pull back those 10-15 second gaps every time they attack.

Suz

Call to all Lady Cruzbikers.

I have come to the conclusion that you need to build me a zwift cave. That is a sweet setup!

I have been thinking of setting up zwift, sounds awesome. The website doesn't do a great job explaining how to set up and what to expect once you join. I don't usually have an issue figuring these things out but I'm pretty sure I need to buy a better trainer. I currently have my trike set up on a roller in the house but it terribly boring. Zwift sounds great. Can I use zwift with an old trainer and a wireless bike computer or do I need a connection from the trainer to the zwift program. Confused!

My bank account hates me right now. Too many recent transactions. :rolleyes: But a team moose zwift cave would be sweeet. :)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Yes and if you do buy a new cheap fluid trainer to get started I suggest the one from Performance bikes that's like $160 or $180. Just as good as the one twice the price and perfect for getting started, it's how I got started.

Reactions: Suz

Suz

Suz team Moose has gone the whole hog on Zwift and not looked back. Yes, perhaps a bit overboard but our situation is one where our ability to enjoy cycling together was not easy. Ms. Daisy's mother has Alzheimer's and our ability to ride together or even ride at all is limited as we are her full-time caretaker. Discovering Zwift was a dream come true. This is the reason we have gone somewhat overboard. You do not need to spend a lot of money to Zwift. Goggle you tube, cheap, zwift, and you will get many hits. My favorite is Shane Miller who is one of the worlds leading Zwift guru's. Here is a video from the Lama that might help. You can also catch the latest ZwiftCast HERE. These podcasts are great for getting up to speed on Zwift.

Thank you so much guys! I am interested in this for a very similar reason. My son has cerebral palsy, and a few years ago my husband took a job which is out of town during the week so it's almost impossible to get a ride in after work. Then I only do short rides on the weekends because I'm not in good enough shape to do a long ride. I sound like an excuse factory but I think you understand my dilemma. I will check out the videos and thanks again for your advice guys.

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Trying to nail the timing for when to start your sprint take a bit of practice I've never bothered doing. We know your avatar is a little slow to respond to an all out sprint with it taking nearly 3-4 seconds longer to jump up 15mph vs the real world, but on the flip side you don't scrub speed as fast ether. On these sprint segments there's a little white line on the ground across part of the road signifying the start but if you what till you see the line your way to late to ramp up your speed. You really need to start about 100 meters early if you want to get the best result. The other segments are all long enough that leading into them at max speed is not important.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
:lol watching from the outside we look so slow heading to the sprint just how I view real life race tours. I will say seeing my watts during the finish sprint now that I'm calm and relaxed I can comfortably say I'm impressed with those 800-900 watt numbers. In the moment it feels more like 600 watts because your so tired from just getting to that point, I didn't realize I was putting out that much power. With that said you still need 1000-1200 to sprint with the big dogs on zwift who are weren't even in today's race. That was an especially hard race given my level of fatigue from yesterday and I can say with confidence that if Hardy wasn't there watching me I would have probably quit on the 3rd of 4 laps in this race. Thanks for hanging out and keeping me honest, sometime that little extra pressure from the viewer is all you need.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Couple zwift racing observations from today's race. When attacking the group to try and break away it's commonly thought to do so from the back and draft through the group and slingshot past, this is common in real life as well but in zwift this isn't the best method. I find that when trying to smash through the group with high watts the game holds you back for one or two seconds as if your stuck drafting behind the other riders, it does this to maintain smoother group formations I think. The real problem is the better the racers are that you race against the better they are at watching you wkg value in the riders list so they'll see you values leap up a full second before you break free of the group.

In today's race I was feeling rather good after a easy recovery spin on Sunday so I decided to be the aggressor of the group forcing all the attacks as often as possible with some being quick double attacks with a shorter first attack to play tricks on the other riders minds. I performed each of these attack only from the lead position which worked great leaping me forward instantly beyond the 5m drafting limit so at least the next chasing rider would have to work just as hard as me to get back on pace. One of the great things about being the aggressor of the group is it puts you in mental control of the pace and places all the other riders on the back foot feeling like they are just holding on instead of in control themselves. Now I know that is easier said then done as it requires you to be at least on par with the strongest riders of the group or stronger. If everyone is of similar ability then the aggressor is most likely to gain the mental advantage over the others and unlock that extra 5% of their potential for the end, remember racing in a just as much mental game as much a physical one. There's always the chance there is a dark horse in the group just as strong as you with all the confidence in the world who just sits back and lets the games play out while letting the mid pack riders keep him on par with the hard working leaders but that is a dangerous game that can only be played by someone who knows beyond a doubt they can bridge any gaps that form all on their own.

I was able to whittle down a group of 12 down to 4 by the last 8 miles and led into the final sprint. I payed attention during the previous laps and noted the large london arch leading into the finish sprint was 35 second out from the finish at race pace so 30 seconds even at sprint pace, basically the perfect spot to start my 30 second aero power up. As we approached the arch I started a false sprint 40 second out forcing the 3 other riders to activate their own aero power ups and launch their counter attack earlier then they would have wanted. I never backed off my sprint effort I just never initially went over 10wkg, I just need the number to change orange and my avatar to stand up to get everything going. The quickly jumped 10 meters ahead and as soon as they closed to within 3 meters and went all out all the way to 14wkg as they flew passed me. They came by so fast one of the riders had to be 15 meter up the road before I was on pace. I thought I had handed him the win but I forced myself to keep pushing to see how close I could get. I started slowly catching second place and pulled along side with 100 meters to go but the leader was still 10 meters up. I forced my legs to turn pulling hard on the bars forcing the V20 front triangle to bend and twist under the force and just then the leader must have thought he had it or started running out of steam because we started started closing fast. I was able to pull ahead of 3rd by a bike length and nipped the leader at the line by half a wheel at the line for the race win. Probably one of my most satisfying zwift races so far until I looked at the results and saw the guy who I nipped at the line had done the WBR race one hour earlier so this was his second race :lol

Still an awesome performance and I was excited to be able to be the attacker this time instead of the prey. I imagine I'll be back to being the prey in tomorrow's KISS race when the other fast guys show up. :rolleyes:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Nicely done, Those numbers look awfully good!
jason-evr.jpg

Click on Cameron Roberts name and check out his stats from past races. Kid is pretty damn fast from the looks of it, someone I wouldn't mind racing more often.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Here you go Jason. Race in Paris on an ODZ ticket. Fill out the form. Write in second last question, they pay the ticket and see what the heck what happens. If nothing else this shows how Zwift is exploding doesn't it?

If it was a Mtb event but I don't feel the need to travel that far for some more asphalt. Plus I highly doubt they'd pay the way for a mid pack racer, they'll be reserved for someone like that kid I beat last night who's faster and still on his way up.

Even though it doesn't mention it I'm sure if they want fast guys ZADA approval is going to be important. How embarrassing would it be to fly somebody all the way to Paris just to find out they are 50 watts weak because they were on a poorly calibrated trainer

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I wasn't aware I was looking for a team? How do you know that?

Oh great so I'm fly half way around the world to ride in the same virtual world that I already do at home. You're not really selling this thing all that well :lol

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Huh I don't remember selecting anything like that but I haven't gotten any offers to join a team so I must not be fast enough.

I'm nowhere near fast enough to place in the money at an event like that. When it comes to 1-2hour races I'm actually quite slow at the national level much less a world level. If I can get to the point of needing ZADA approval on zwift I'll consider trying an event like this.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
how about you fill it out on my behalf and if somehow I get picked I'll own up and represent.

I'll have to ask @ratz what my current FTP is because I'm not sure which of the numbers on those numbers on my graph I should be using.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Really only 30? I figured it would be at least in the 300's. Who knows what entered into the system when I first started. I can say for sure I'm never updated it.