2023 Cruzbike Summer Challenge

CruzLike

Guru
Puy de Dome was the ride de jour. I wish I could tell you how I screamed up the route and put up a good number. Not the case. 1:16. It was a brutal climb. I just can't wait for the Tourmalet.

2 rides to go. Plus a redo. I told myself, after I rode Trebiac, I thought I could do better. Stay tuned.

I need to do something or @Maria Parker will not speak to me for months. It's her nightmare coming true. "You get a T-shirt, and You get a T-shirt..." :)

Keep going everyone. You are doing great.

CruzLike

Guru
Today the Tourmalet conquered me. It was everything Larry talked about and more. 1:46:24. It's a leisurely climb pace for some. About halfway up I was out of gas and my graph was showing blue and green colors. I had trouble snapping out of it. As I rode my time would count off 10 minutes and the ETA would gain 5. It was laughing at me.

It looks like all are on track to complete this challenge.
Connie, Trplay, Jim and Jeff with 2 rides remaining.
Derek and myself with 1
Larry all finished. Great job.

Last edited:

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Today the Tourmalet conquered me. It was everything Larry talked about and more. 1:46:24. It's a leisurely climb pace for some. About halfway up I was out of gas and my graph was showing blue and green colors. I had trouble snapping out of it. As I rode my time would count off 10 minutes and the ETA would gain 5. It was laughing at me.

It looks like all are on track to complete this challenge.
Connie, Trplay, Jim and Jeff with 2 rides remaining.
Derek and myself with 1
Larry all finished. Great job.
you're a climbing beast!

1690294457669.png
Well, I ate the toad this morning. I thought if I did this climb first, the rest of the day and this whole challenge couldn’t get any tougher . It was brutal, and gave me even more respect for things like Larry’s 4 hour century rides.
On the positive side I am getting better at picking a target power and focusing on that rather than just working harder. I was able to get my final segment watts back up above target and get my average back over 200.
Also, since the TdF just finished, I thought we should have done all four of each section’s climbs in one continuous run like the big boys do. Next year?‍. One more ride Saturday then back to zone two for this flatlander. I’m really impressed by everyone’s rides and want to thank our fearless leaders again for throwing down the gauntlet.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Well, I ate the toad this morning. I thought if I did this climb first, the rest of the day and this whole challenge couldn’t get any tougher . It was brutal, and gave me even more respect for things like Larry’s 4 hour century rides.
On the positive side I am getting better at picking a target power and focusing on that rather than just working harder. I was able to get my final segment watts back up above target and get my average back over 200.
Also, since the TdF just finished, I thought we should have done all four of each section’s climbs in one continuous run like the big boys do. Next year?‍. One more ride Saturday then back to zone two for this flatlander. I’m really impressed by everyone’s rides and want to thank our fearless leaders again for throwing down the gauntlet.
What a great ride Jeff - and you beat me by 1 minute! It doesn't sound like much after 90 of them but is still significant in my book! Congrats

What a great ride Jeff - and you beat me by 1 minute! It doesn't sound like much after 90 of them but is still significant in my book! Congrats
Wel,....considering that I've been on and off training for the last year and you are just getting off of the the contractor's couch, I know I still have a lot of work to do but it is fun giving it a whirl.
BTW, are you going to Borrego Springs or any other event this year? I'm just going to do some longer randonneuring rides and self time this year and try to do some kind of racing next year. A lot of things to learn yet.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
BTW, are you going to Borrego Springs or any other event this year? I'm just going to do some longer randonneuring rides and self time this year and try to do some kind of racing next year. A lot of things to learn yet.
The only think I had on the calendar this year was to do Natchez 444 as a 2-man team with Cliff - therefore "time to get back in shape"! :)
I doubt I would ever do Borrego - it is just so far away - but I've learned never to say never. :)