2023 Cruzbike Summer Challenge

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I just watched the women climb it. The best did it in about 55 minutes. Not too shaby!

Hi Everyone!
This has been a great challege for the summer and I wanted to first thank Ken for suggesting it. I certainly needed a ittle motivation to get back to riding again (after 8 months) and this has certainly helped. I hope you all feel the same way. I applaud all of you for the rides you have done. Regardless of what level and power you are - you know you are stronger now than when you started! I know the goal was to "beat Ken" - some have some haven't - but we are all winners because we did it!

At one point I had suggested to Ken to have a bracketed "final" where perhaps everyone went head-to-head on one the courses and moved through the bracket like any championship does and until a final victor is crowned. However fun that would be it might hard to mamage, plus it is unclear whether Zwift will keep these climbs open after Aug 1. And then there's Derek, who we know would win anyway! haha

So, to foster a little friendly competion and continued Cruzbike Commeraderie I would like to suggest that we (anyone that is interested and availble) show up for a "group ride" on Monday Aug 31 on one of the 4 longer routes (TBD). If I am to participate I am limited to starting no later than 8am (EST) on Monday. This is because I have to be able to clean up leave for the airport by 10:30am. I am flying to San Antonio to meet my first grandson who was born on July 22! Yeah!

To Ride: I am not saying we have to all ride to together, but I imagine everyone with similar times may group together and "encourage" each other up the climb. Our "Strong Man" Derek would no doubt be "The Man" to chase unless we make him add 10 pounds to his Zwift rider! :rolleyes: Hmm
To Meet: We could each enter the game and ride up the area with banners and such which kind of annouces the climb. I think it might be 1/4 mile into the ride. Then there might be another 1/2 mile before the climb actually starts. Anyone participating can just stop there and wait for everyone else that is coming. With a target of being there at 8am ready to go.
To Talk: We could also all sign onto DIscord so we could chat to each other as we go.

Any takers?
I, for one tired puppy, will have to pass. As much as I enjoy riding with all of you I need to dial back the threshold workouts and get back to some base building . I just finished Puy de Dome today, slower than I wanted, and some nagging places were getting sore. I'm going to do a 200k randonneuring route next weekend and need to recharge a bit.
My thanks again to Ken for the push to go faster for a while. It was a good idea for a summer challenge and a good tune up for ZTRL race season.

CruzLike

Guru
Great Rides Jim and Hardy. You are finished.

Larry: I like your idea, though I have a standing date on Monday mornings. Also, I would hate to spoil my fond and recent memories of riding up Puy De Dome again.

Hardy commented earlier "no more good ideas this year" This was an example of things I think about in my sober mind and then wonder "What was I thinking?" while exercising the idea. I know everyone wishes the Tourmalet was 15 minutes shorter to the top. I would not have enjoyed it as much or perhaps ridden it, without this challenge. Larry summed it up very well as he expressed the commitment to completion no matter your power level.

Matt101

Hi Everyone!
This has been a great challege for the summer and I wanted to first thank Ken for suggesting it. I certainly needed a ittle motivation to get back to riding again (after 8 months) and this has certainly helped. I hope you all feel the same way. I applaud all of you for the rides you have done. Regardless of what level and power you are - you know you are stronger now than when you started! I know the goal was to "beat Ken" - some have some haven't - but we are all winners because we did it!

At one point I had suggested to Ken to have a bracketed "final" where perhaps everyone went head-to-head on one the courses and moved through the bracket like any championship does and until a final victor is crowned. However fun that would be it might hard to mamage, plus it is unclear whether Zwift will keep these climbs open after Aug 1. And then there's Derek, who we know would win anyway! haha

So, to foster a little friendly competion and continued Cruzbike Commeraderie I would like to suggest that we (anyone that is interested and availble) show up for a "group ride" on Monday Aug 31 on one of the 4 longer routes (TBD). If I am to participate I am limited to starting no later than 8am (EST) on Monday. This is because I have to be able to clean up leave for the airport by 10:30am. I am flying to San Antonio to meet my first grandson who was born on July 22! Yeah!

To Ride: I am not saying we have to all ride to together, but I imagine everyone with similar times may group together and "encourage" each other up the climb. Our "Strong Man" Derek would no doubt be "The Man" to chase unless we make him add 10 pounds to his Zwift rider! :rolleyes: Hmm
To Meet: We could each enter the game and ride up the area with banners and such which kind of annouces the climb. I think it might be 1/4 mile into the ride. Then there might be another 1/2 mile before the climb actually starts. Anyone participating can just stop there and wait for everyone else that is coming. With a target of being there at 8am ready to go.
To Talk: We could also all sign onto DIscord so we could chat to each other as we go.

Any takers?
Sounds like a great idea. I have not done any group rides or races before but would love to take part

CruzLike

Guru
That last ride has been logged. All riders have completed the challenge. Hip! Hip! hooray.
1690731161806.png

I'm still plan to attempt Trebiac again. It might be a big reach to make it to Jeff's time. We'll see.

LarryOz

I have not kept track of riding or the forums for a few months. That said, I’m kind of happy to miss this challenge ;) You all are amazing for even starting it and even more so for actually finishing all 8!
You've still got a few days to do them all

CruzLike

Guru
Hi All
There has been an update in the standings. I have bested my time on Trebiac. 15:56.

What this means, Jeff and Matt are now slower than me.
1690817641248.png

Now I sit here looking at the standings, wondering how safe Jeff's 12:43 is on Pike? Hummmm.

I think it's pretty safe.

Hi All
There has been an update in the standings. I have bested my time on Trebiac. 15:56.

View attachment 15292

Now I sit here looking at the standings, wondering how safe Jeff's 12:43 is on Pike? Hummmm.

I'm going to have to concede defeat, (and de lungs, and de legs;) I went out too hard and blew up, losing 17 seconds to my previous time. I'm peeved at myself for not learning the lesson of this whole exercise which, for me, was: pick a power and stick too it until near the end, then blow it up. I'll try to remember next time.
Anyway, Well done , fearless leader! ....Until we ride again. ;)

Derek

Hi All

View attachment 15292

Oh man, that ain’t right! You dog!!! Hahaha

LarryOz

@Marquisdesod I think you might have tomorrow also.

Zwift states the ride access will end Aug1.
Yes, but your rules at the beginning state:
The Challenge: Ride all 8 TDF Climbs between June 30 and July 30, 2023 faster than Ken

CruzLike

Guru
Thanks Larry for catching the typo. July 30 should be Aug 1. I will give you an extra day. This will be a short day though. I'm typing this at 8pm EDT. You have until 12pm EDT to get started.

Jeff is aware of my updated time. Don't know about Matt.