2023 Cruzbike Summer Challenge

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
You are funny Jim! RIdding this climbs makes you stronger for sure
Gee - what did you do with that extra 41 mins?
I have never done this degree or type of climbing so I had no idea how I would fair. Last April I did the 2 Day Texas MS150 with ~2800 ft of climb per day...that was no biggie...but, I had all day to do them. After the first few climbs in this challenge, I was questioning my sanity so, I wanted to be realistic with my expectations. Also, when comparing my times with those of the rest of the 'beast' group, I knew that I was in for a world of hurt thus the 2hr. mark. I still have the Tourmalet to do and I am looking forward to it with awe, fear, dread, and eager anticipation! o_O

To answer your question, I RECOVERED! Thank God for Hammer products like Heed and Recoverite! I have to admit that I am somewhat surprised that I feel as good as I do today. Thank You, Jesus! ;)

And thank you to each of you who have been such and encouragement to me by your comments and your example! I can't wait for the Zwift race season to begin this year! Maybe I'll finally break the 1.9 w/k avg mark!

Last edited:

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I have one left to go. I was told to save the easy one for last . This way you're sure to finish the series as you don't want to stop with only a piece of cake left. Anyway, I heeded the advice and have something called the Tourmalet left to go.

Derek

Completed the big daddy today. Final climb. Wish I didn’t need to do that while detoxing off caffeine in preparation for the PBP, but today was the only good day to do it before month end.

Not easy, but not terrible - mostly thanks to Larry’s suggestion to keep some fuel nearby. Had to eat some energy chews to keep the energy level up in the back half.

Had some stuff come up at work that forced me to write a few emails while climbing which was the first time I’ve multitasked over 200w. It was surprisingly easy to do.

Not sure how Zwift calculates avg power. As shown in the Orange photo, my watts by stage avg’d out to far above the 215w avg it spit out at the end. Strava also showed a 220w avg for the segment so obviously something is off.

Nice work everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_2777.jpeg
    IMG_2777.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2776.jpeg
    IMG_2776.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Not sure how Zwift calculates avg power. As shown in the Orange photo, my watts by stage avg’d out to far above the 215w avg it spit out at the end. Strava also showed a 220w avg for the segment so obviously something is off.
Great job Derek - you killed it and beat me by 2:45
I had the same question when I first started these climbs.
I figured out what Zwift was doing. They appear to be averaging your wattage when first start riding when they drop you into the course. It is odd - if you look at the descrition of the length of the "ride" in Zwift - it is longer than the actual climb. So yes - your average climb wattage is going to be higher most likely. Mine always was. Look at the at your Strave segment to see what you did for the acutal climb. Herei s yours:
1690500938729.png

CruzLike

Guru
Here is an update.

It looks like everyone is on track to finish.

All but Larry and Derek have one ride remaining.

I expect to do mine tomorrow am.

1690508553234.png

Jeff, Kudos on the Tourmalet. big effort.

Jim, Hardy and Connie prep for the second half of the Tourmalet. Food or energy drink.

CruzLike

Guru
Just finished the Platzerwasel. 44:15.

Something I noticed as I was exiting Zwift. In the same Row that you launch the climbing portal. There is a challenge for anyone interested in getting a mission badge for climbing the Tourmalet. For those that have not completed it. I think you can sign up and kill 2 birds with one stone. I like doing that. I hate birds. not really I hate wasting stones.

Matt101

Been following the challenge:). Had done a few before I saw this thread but it spurred me on to do them all on my S40.
Hope its not too late to be included from a pretty tired 50 year old in the UK???

Attachments

• Climb Portal - Col d'Aspin.jpg
    Climb Portal - Col d'Aspin.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Climb Portal - Col des Aravis.jpg
    Climb Portal - Col des Aravis.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Climb Portal - Col du Platzerwasel.jpg
    Climb Portal - Col du Platzerwasel.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Climb Portal - Col du Tourmalet.jpg
    Climb Portal - Col du Tourmalet.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Climb Portal - Cote de Domancy.jpg
    Climb Portal - Cote de Domancy.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Climb Portal - Cote de Pike.jpg
    Climb Portal - Cote de Pike.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Climb Portal - Cote de Trebaic.jpg
    Climb Portal - Cote de Trebaic.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Climb Portal - Puy de Dome.jpg
    Climb Portal - Puy de Dome.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 7

CruzLike

Guru
Hi Matt
Welcome to the challenge. I have included your rides to the group.

What is your time on Col De Aravis? Your Col de Aravis has a Col de Trebaic image.

CruzLike

Guru
Had some stuff come up at work that forced me to write a few emails while climbing which was the first time I’ve multitasked over 200w. It was surprisingly easy to do.

Are you taunting us weaker riders? You beast.

Maybe my times might improve if I stop juggling.

Matt101

Hi Matt
Welcome to the challenge. I have included your rides to the group.

What is your time on Col De Aravis? Your Col de Aravis has a Col de Trebaic image.
Hi Ken

Thanks for that. Sorry for the error!! See attached

Attachments

• Climb Portal - Col des Aravis.jpg
    Climb Portal - Col des Aravis.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 3

LarryOz

Hi Everyone!
This has been a great challege for the summer and I wanted to first thank Ken for suggesting it. I certainly needed a ittle motivation to get back to riding again (after 8 months) and this has certainly helped. I hope you all feel the same way. I applaud all of you for the rides you have done. Regardless of what level and power you are - you know you are stronger now than when you started! I know the goal was to "beat Ken" - some have some haven't - but we are all winners because we did it!

At one point I had suggested to Ken to have a bracketed "final" where perhaps everyone went head-to-head on one the courses and moved through the bracket like any championship does and until a final victor is crowned. However fun that would be it might hard to mamage, plus it is unclear whether Zwift will keep these climbs open after Aug 1. And then there's Derek, who we know would win anyway! haha

So, to foster a little friendly competion and continued Cruzbike Commeraderie I would like to suggest that we (anyone that is interested and availble) show up for a "group ride" on Monday Aug 31 on one of the 4 longer routes (TBD). If I am to participate I am limited to starting no later than 8am (EST) on Monday. This is because I have to be able to clean up leave for the airport by 10:30am. I am flying to San Antonio to meet my first grandson who was born on July 22! Yeah!

To Ride: I am not saying we have to all ride to together, but I imagine everyone with similar times may group together and "encourage" each other up the climb. Our "Strong Man" Derek would no doubt be "The Man" to chase unless we make him add 10 pounds to his Zwift rider! :rolleyes: Hmm
To Meet: We could each enter the game and ride up the area with banners and such which kind of annouces the climb. I think it might be 1/4 mile into the ride. Then there might be another 1/2 mile before the climb actually starts. Anyone participating can just stop there and wait for everyone else that is coming. With a target of being there at 8am ready to go.
To Talk: We could also all sign onto DIscord so we could chat to each other as we go.

Any takers?

LarryOz

Great job Hardy - that was a tough one for sure. You know the Pros have a lot easier time of it! - They only have to spend about 45 min climbing - so the pain is over much quicker - for us -> it seems to never end!

Last edited: