2019 S40 coming soon!

3WHELZ

Guru
The more I look at this, the option for gravel bike opens. I was considering purchasing a Q45, if the frame option became available. However, this may be something for consideration by adding a Thor seat. Two S40s with different personalities, hmm?

I agree that thru axle would be a bonus, perhaps later.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I hope that the bike will still be offered as a frameset. 1 x 11 only offers you up to a 44t front ring. No problem on the low end, you could ride straight up a wall, as long as you could maintain traction. But 44-11 is going to spin out pretty quickly on downhills. Personally, the front derailleurs on Cruzbikes have never given me troubles. The sandwiched-in rear derailleur mount has been more fidgety, IMHO.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I have run a 1x11 for a number of years on my carbon, DF gravel bike and I loved it. Switched between road and gravel wheel sets (23 and 35mm respectively) easily - manual Spyre disc set up - and Sram CX-1 brifters w 42 up front and 11-36 rear. Handled 20% grades and I’d spin out at about 35mph at top end. Rarely do I find myself pedaling hard above that speed anyway. But have to say I like the wider range of a double on the s40

Rampa

Guru
You can get four bolt 104 BCD narrow wide rings all the way up to 52. So if you're OK with a Shimano mountain type crank, you're good.

anotherbrian

I own an S40.

My fork doesn't have the boss for what I assume is a fender mount (looks like a low-rider mount).

The fork in the picture also looks much straighter, and I'd guess more width near the fork crown. There is a lot of clearance in mine, and I don't think it'd ever be a limiter on tires (I have 32mm's, and I'm sure I could use 48mm's on it) I'd want on it.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I hope that the bike will still be offered as a frameset. 1 x 11 only offers you up to a 44t front ring. No problem on the low end, you could ride straight up a wall, as long as you could maintain traction. But 44-11 is going to spin out pretty quickly on downhills. Personally, the front derailleurs on Cruzbikes have never given me troubles. The sandwiched-in rear derailleur mount has been more fidgety, IMHO.
I think you can buy third party Narrow-Wide chainring 46T or 48T, even 50T e.t.c for 1x systems. You can also go for a 10-42 cassette or a third party (Sunrace e.t.c.) 11-46 cassette. In theory it should work but I have not tried it.

Here are example chainring models:
  1. https://www.ebay.com/itm/DECKAS-Bik...ring-Chain-Ring-BCD104mm-32T-52T/253076029389
  2. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Litepro-Na...ankset-BCD-130mm-50-52-54-56-58T/273128281001

Last edited:

Jeremy S

Dude
Check out SRAM's Road (Rival, Force) 1x options.

Last edited:

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Check out SRAM's Road (Rival, Force) 1x options.
I've looked it over. As much as I like the idea of a simpler setup, I just don't think that the 1 x would satisfy me all the time.

My running gear of choice is a road triple and to be honest, probably 85% of the time I run on the middle 42 tooth ring with a bit more of a small range rear cassette. So, I know that most of the time, I'd be OK with the smaller ring on a 1 x setup. From experience, though, I know when the intensity heats up on the flats and downhills, the 52 was always appreciated.

Lately, I have been running a 2 x setup. I've lost a metric crap-ton of weight and as I get in better shape, I find I ride on the big ring more and more all the time.

I believe I will sit the trend for 1 x out and let it be known that I will be a sanctuary host for your off cast 2 x and 3 x setups.

I'm still holding out hope for a helicopter thingy attachment.

Mark

Jeremy S

Dude
I've looked it over. As much as I like the idea of a simpler setup, I just don't think that the 1 x would satisfy me all the time.

My running gear of choice is a road triple and to be honest, probably 85% of the time I run on the middle 42 tooth ring with a bit more of a small range rear cassette. So, I know that most of the time, I'd be OK with the smaller ring on a 1 x setup. From experience, though, I know when the intensity heats up on the flats and downhills, the 52 was always appreciated.

Lately, I have been running a 2 x setup. I've lost a metric crap-ton of weight and as I get in better shape, I find I ride on the big ring more and more all the time.

I believe I will sit the trend for 1 x out and let it be known that I will be a sanctuary host for your off cast 2 x and 3 x setups.

I'm still holding out hope for a helicopter thingy attachment.

Mark

My concern is the gaps, even if I could get the same gear range I’m not eager to have bigger gaps than I currently have with my 11-32 cassette.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
My concern is the gaps, even if I could get the same gear range I’m not eager to have bigger gaps than I currently have with my 11-32 cassette.
I am a TRIPLE devotee as I have FIVE gears (with only 13% max step) using the 39T middle, between 20 kph and 30 kph (13 mph to 19 mph), which is my SLOW cruising/touring speed, and also 19.3" to 126" gear range!

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
The good news, I think, is apparently the front derailleur mount is still there, which means it should be offered as a frame set.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I would second that concern.

I think the 1x is probably a great system for mountain biking and gravel bikes. The latter is a hot topic, currently, so I understand the trend. I'm hoping that I am correct and those of us that are predominantly pavement pounders will have the option of more traditional road gear.

I'll take the rest of those spare front triples, I would not have wanted to be running a 1 x 11 on my recent tour with 14% gradients.

A second S40 with a 1 x 11 and big tyres could be interesting down some of the farm tracks and trails around here though.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I have to say.... That orange paint is awesome. Now, if I could get a frame set with that color...