Chain WAXing (yes it's that easy) - and other mysteries of this art!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
You guys think the master link tolerances are different enough from the other links that you could benefit from them not riding on the chain ring of cogs at the same time? Seems like splitting hairs that do t exist to me.
I have always had mine really close together and have never experienced a issue, but what ratz said seems to make sense.

SteveJW

Because of this thread, I recently waxed my chains for the first time. Even though I was familiar with chain waxing, I had never tried it. Y'all convinced me to give-it-a-go. It's quite simple after the initial fumbling about. Waiting for the wax to melt is the biggest hassle.

I didn't know chains could be so quiet! They seem faster, but that may be my perception.

I even waxed my mountain bike chain, and have had no need to re-wax or add lube for approx 200 miles (still counting) ridden in a mix of conditions - wet/muddy, dry/dusty. No squeaking yet.

Thanks for pushing me to the wax side!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I know this thread was started with a question about YBN chains but it's evolved into a thread discussing chain waxing pros and cons. It seems the thread has been rather helpful in the chain waxing regard but the title is a bit misleading at this point.

Should we change or add to the title of this thread or maybe start a new thread about Paraffin Waxing Chains?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
So I've been tooth brushing the flaking wax from my chain on the train after ever session to get an idea of when the expulsion of wax would taper off. I had considerable flaking up until the 5th hour of use but now it's almost completely stopped. Due to my wax mix blackened color my chain always looks a bit dirty but it's amazing how I can run my hand down it and nothing comes off.

I finally received my 3 KMC X11SL chains yesterday so I'm stripping them of the stock grease now and I'll wax them later today. I'll run them both on the trainer for 5 hours to wear in the hard edges of the plates then dip them again. I guess I'll need to then run them for another couple hours to break in the fresh wax then they'll be ready for the 24hr race in November. Does that sound about right?

On another note the 3 KMC chains I received from Amazon came in generic plastic baggies with paper labels. Ether KMC sells there precut 116 link chains in bulk like a box of 20 and they forgo the fancy retail box. The place I bought the chain from has a continuous length from KMC and they are chopping it up as needed and using their own baggies.

It'd be nice to find a place to sell us 130 link lengths so we didn't need two master links.

LarryOz

The place I bought the chain from has a continuous length from KMC and they are chopping it up as needed and using their own baggies.
You just need to find out where to get the "continuous" length, and then cut it up as you need it.
Sounds like something Cruzbike could/should even do.
Robert could just have a huge "reel" of it and then chop it up in "Cruzbike" lengths. Then we would only need a single master link!

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
Should we change or add to the title of this thread or maybe start a new thread about Paraffin Waxing Chains?
Larry's taken care of it.

I too learned about waxing chain here and would never go back. Way too easy to do and the cleanliness benefit is very real.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
You just need to find out where to get the "continuous" length, and then cut it up as you need it.
Sounds like something Cruzbike could/should even do.
Robert could just have a huge "reel" of it and then chop it up in "Cruzbike" lengths. Then we would only need a single master link!

Only problem is I'd guess most CruzBike and recumbent riders in general don't run top grade chains like the few of us due and most riders will still be on 10 speed setups. I mean the only reason I buy $80 chains is because they go on sale for $40 most the time. If a shop were to buy a 50-100' roll of chain they probably pick a more reasonably priced mid grade chain that probably wouldn't interest us racers who are splitting watts.

That doesn't mean we can inquire to see if it's even an option. If it is then I'd suggest an organized group order to cover at least 75% of the total bulk length. I'm sure the serious members here can count each of there bikes chain link counts and come up with a quick total length they would need along with the number of quick links. You have to also remember there isn't a set CruzBike chain length do to different length chain stay options and gearing options. My current chain is 126 link so that's why I suggested 130 in hopes of covering up to a few others who run Mtb cassettes.

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
@LarryOz you said you bought 3lbs of molten speed wax so I was curious about the actual color of their wax? I know they claim it has a special blend of anti friction agents and the packaging seems like a dark grey similar to my wax mix but I wonder it the wax in the bag is grey?

The reason I ask is do you experience any separation and settling of the powder after several uses? I didn't notice any settling between the first two uses with my mix but I did after the third use. I gave it another whirl before dropping in my new chains today and it's nice black all over again.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I guess I'll need to then run them for another couple hours to break in the fresh wax then they'll be ready for the 24hr race in November. Does that sound about right?
Personally, I just put on the newly waxed chain and go. I don't feel any difference. I did that for the N24HC with no problems and it worked fine.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ok so I've got an enquiry about our bulk chain idea heading toward KMCs inside man via my tubeless and brake pads sponsorship connection of all places. He's going to see the guy this weekend at Mtb Nationals and get the details of acquiring a shop length roll.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
@LarryOz you said you bought 3lbs of molten speed wax so I was curious about the actual color of their wax? I know they claim it has a special blend of anti friction agents and the packaging seems like a dark grey similar to my wax mix but I wonder it the wax in the bag is grey?

Black; it turns off white/grey when it re-hardens.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Black; it turns off white/grey when it re-hardens.

Yes but when you reheat it again I could easily see my screwdriver in the mix though the side of the jar while I was poking around at the bottom. After I agitated the mix with the blender I couldn't see anything

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Yes but when you reheat it again I could easily see my screwdriver in the mix though the side of the jar while I was poking around at the bottom. After I agitated the mix with the blender I couldn't see anything

Just swirling my chain back and forth abut twice and it goes opaque black. no blender needed.

LarryOz

Personally, I just put on the newly waxed chain and go. I don't feel any difference. I did that for the N24HC with no problems and it worked fine.
I have experienced the same thing - The only issue I have ever had is once in a while a link seems to get "stuck" and will not move freely. If that happens, then I just take it and move it back and forth by hand until it is freed up.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ok so I also Emailed KMC direct and here's their response. Sounds like we would just need a shop with a QBP account willing to call and negotiate the sale of a partial roll. Notice they didn't specify the grade of chain so I'm still thinking it'll be low grade especially when you consider how much 500' would actually cost.

Yes many of our distributors, big ones are J&B and QBP, carry select chain in 500 foot reels that you can purchase and cut off that.

Thank you,

KMC Team

LarryOz

Ok so I also Emailed KMC direct and here's their response. Sounds like we would just need a shop with a QBP account willing to call and negotiate the sale of a partial roll. Notice they didn't specify the grade of chain so I'm still thinking it'll be low grade especially when you consider how much 500' would actually cost.
I have a friend who works for a company here in town that has a QBP account - He has purchased stuff for the whole shop and myself on several occasions. I'll check and get back with the group.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Jason if you are looking for one length of chain Bacchetta sells KMC and SRAM chains at 11ft 8 inches for 70 bucks. They will cut to an exact length or sell you a set number of feet at about 6 bucks a foot. I've used them for years, never a problem. They even charge minimum for shipping ($6.50 last time) and a master link is included with the chain. Linky here.

Exactly but for us racer types who use the X10sl and X11sl grade or chain what they are selling is a few steps lower quality. Thanks for posting the option though as I'm sure it'll be fine for 90% of the people here.

LarryOz

Let us not forget t-cycle ,,, they sell by the foot.
Yes - both places appear to have 10-speed, but not 11-speed chain.
Heck - I am pretty sure Cruzbike has a QBP account - Maybe if Robert sees this thread he can jump in and let us know if he can get the bulk chain.
10SL, and 11SL would be nice, but even for training the "SL" is not really necessary.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Jason if you are looking for one length of chain Bacchetta sells KMC and SRAM chains at 11ft 8 inches for 70 bucks. They will cut to an exact length or sell you a set number of feet at about 6 bucks a foot. I've used them for years, never a problem. They even charge minimum for shipping ($6.50 last time) and a master link is included with the chain. Linky here.
Would it be possible for Cruzbike to do the same as Bacchetta, but with two chains qualities, high 11 speed for racers, and standard 10 for tourers?