Cruzbike Ride Retreat 2019- in Kentucky!

Rich

I am looking forward to seeing all the Cruzbikers again! I would love to see a list of people coming.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hello everyone.
I just wanted to let everyone who is going on the retreat to know we are going to offer a "Time Trial" experience for anyone who would like to participate.
As you may know, Cruzbike sponsored the first "Cruzbike Summer TT Challenge" this year. It actually just ended 2 days ago and we have crowned our 2019 Summer Champion Dave Zinke.
We planned the Summer Challenge to end just before the retreat so we could offer this "Cruzbike Retreat Time Trial Experience" as part of the retreat.
Just like the 15 week challenge you don't have to be the fastest to win, and I encourage everyone to try.

This is how I have planned to do it.
The "Cruzbike Retreat Time Trial Experience" will most likely occur before the Cruz Olympics on Sunday (which are from 2-4), so probably from 1-2pm
I will go arrive on site early and scout out an appropriate and safe course of around 10 miles. Either one large loop, or an out and back course. Either way, the start and finish will be at the same spot.
I will also scout out a "test" course of about 3 miles.
Everyone who would like to compete in the Sunday event will be asked to ride the "test" 3 mile course sometime between Friday and Sunday as fast as they can.

Here is how it will actually work:
You ride the 3 mile test course as fast as you can. Record via Strava or phone app if you can - or you can borrow my Garmin or phone
I will compute your average speed and assign you an "estimated time" for the 10 mile course on Sunday.
Then on Sunday, each person will be started in reverse order of their "estimated" time.
If everyone rides exactly their estimated time, then we all cross the finish line at the same time.

Here is an example:
Bob has an estimated time of 35 minutes.
Joe has an estimated time of 32 minutes.
Jill has an estimated time of 30 minutes.
Bob leaves first at 1:00 pm
Joe leaves second at 1:03 pm
Jill leaves third at 1:05pm

Everyone should reach the finish line around 1:35pm.
Obviously some will ride faster and some will ride slower than their "estimated" time, but we should all be pretty close.
.. and don't worry, I'm not that competitive, plus I am 60 years and have hardly been riding since June. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Yeah really - barely managing 3 hours a week!

If anyone has any questions about this send me an email : larryoslund@gmail.com

Rich

Larry,
The way I see it, the only way you are not at the front at the end of this, is if we handicap you by making you ride one of Neal's kids unicycles. But the TT sounds like fun.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I am so disappointed that I can’t come. Have a fantastic and safe time everyone. Wish I was there.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
For everyone who will be there - I would like to ask for your suggestions on "class" topics. If there is something you would like me to lead a brief talk or activity on let me know here. We will try to get to as many suggestions as possible.

Robert

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
For everyone who will be there - I would like to ask for your suggestions on "class" topics. If there is something you would like me to lead a brief talk or activity on let me know here. We will try to get to as many suggestions as possible.
Robert
Mounting a tubeless tire. :)

Rich

I would like a discussion about wheels. There is a very large spread of types and prices for them. Is it worth the upgrade? What is the appropriate wheel and cost for different levels and types of riders.
Should we get tube, tubeless or clincher (what ever that is).
Disc or rim brakes?
My V20 was built using Shimano Ultegra components and wheels. should I stick with those wheels for the V20?
My Q559 needs new wheels because I want to lose the internally geared hub. What wheels should I look for on that bike?
I realize that is a lot, but those are the questions I am coming to the retreat with.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
okay since i am unable to attend, i must ask that someone buy one round of shots of brown water for the tribe, and then send me the receipt and i will reimburse. larry and cb team know i am good for it, so i will rely on them to do this duty in my absence.

Rods

I would be very interested in the above mentioned topics, as well as disc brake set up and adjustment. Also, a good topic may be fitting a Cruzbike to the rider.
I am really looking forward to attending the retreat!

woodguy

I would like to understand better how to mount a front derailleur on my Q45, or other gearing options to allow me not to spin out above 25 mph without sacrificing low gears for hill climbing.
I would also like to see some options to minimize wheel flop when walking with the bike & loading.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
As a KY resident I feel somewhat compelled to bring along several bottles of excellent KY bourbon for sampling. I’ll be happy to offer a very informal tasting session and history on this magic stuff. Maybe during one of those s’mores camp fire sessions.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Also, since I live and work in Louisville, feel free to contact me w any questions or logistical help. My email is

Paulcatyewdellgardensdotorg

Cell # five oh two three three eight nine nine four one

Hmikes

I need a lower gear, I'd like to hear if anyone has replaced the rear sprockets with a 42 tooth or 46 tooth with derailleur extension.

NeaL

Guru
I would also like to see some options to minimize wheel flop when walking with the bike & loading.

Short version: Practice, practice, practice.

Ever hear of those high school lessons about adolescent pregnancy in which students are required to carry around a bag of flour all the time? That’s sorta how I’ve been learning about Cruzbike wheel flop. I bring it with me everywhere.
It’s sorta like keeping a gym bag packed in the car in case I can go workout after getting off from work. Except I go for a bike ride instead of going to a gym. I don’t want the bike stolen off the back of my truck so I bring it in whenever I’ll be at work for a long time.
This is all in preparation for when I am ready to make regular, daily commutes to and from work.
Walking with, pushing, going through doorways, lifting & carrying my Cruzbike so much has made a lot of it 2nd nature for me.

I tried to commute to work previously on my trike but it was a lot of changes, a total upheaval of my daily routine, that I couldn’t seem to stick with it long enough for it to become a habitual part of my life. Lifting and carrying the trike, getting through doors with it, that part sucked the most.
I’m tackling the changes one or two steps at a time until they become habitual. My S40 feels almost like an extension of me now.

Sorry for the rambling but again, the short version is to practice it.