Cruzbike Time Trial Challenge 2020

I've been able to upload, had to create a segment as the Garmin segment I've been using is not there of course, it is as close as I could make it to the original. As is my time!

Looks like I was ahead of PB for the first two thirds of the ride, and lost 9 secs in the last 4 miles.

Hopefully normal service through Garmin will be resumed soon.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I've been able to upload, had to create a segment as the Garmin segment I've been using is not there of course, it is as close as I could make it to the original. As is my time!

Looks like I was ahead of PB for the first two thirds of the ride, and lost 9 secs in the last 4 miles.

Please send me your Strava link when you can - Thanks

Tried to find a nice quiet route for next year, just up the road is an old WWII bomber airfield with a nice triangular pattern runway setup, and which has public acess, if I can only avoid the dogwalkers!

No chance, perimeter track and runways now more suited to an MTB. One more to look at, or it's a modification to this year's ride taking out the first shorter loop and running on at the end using last years course in reverse. I just can't find any decent loops without fast intersections or railway crossings.

nobrakes

I don’t understand this - segments are at the Strava end. I upload .fit files and all segments are there as normal. Are you doing something different?

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Tried to find a nice quiet route for next year, just up the road is an old WWII bomber airfield with a nice triangular pattern runway setup, and which has public acess, if I can only avoid the dogwalkers!

No chance, perimeter track and runways now more suited to an MTB. One more to look at, or it's a modification to this year's ride taking out the first shorter loop and running on at the end using last years course in reverse. I just can't find any decent loops without fast intersections or railway crossings.

I don't get it. You guys tout the virtues of outside riding and then search for routes that are only found on Zwift. :)

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Free from potholes.
Free from deteriorating asphalt.
Free from angry canines.
Free from broken glass, nails.
Free from social undistancing kooks who want to talk about you unusual bike.
Free from fresh air.
Free from rain. Free from Heat Warnings.
Free from car.
Free Discord dropouts.
Free with monthly payments.
Free time waiting for Zwift updates.
Always have at least one of your greatest fans nearby.

I don’t understand this - segments are at the Strava end. I upload .fit files and all segments are there as normal. Are you doing something different?
I've been using my Garmin segment all year, only created it on Strava for this week. So without the Garmin segment to compare gainst exactly ...

Free from potholes.- Every week
Free from deteriorating asphalt.- Every week
Free from angry canines.- 2 weeks ago
Free from broken glass, nails.- not yet
Free from social undistancing kooks who want to talk about you unusual bike.- I don't stop for lunatics :cool:
Free from fresh air.- Nothing but, farmland all around
Free from rain. Free from Heat Warnings.- I live in the UK, if you don't like the weather in summer, just wait 5 minutes, week 2 started in a drizzle finished in a downpour
Free from car.- you forgot combine harvesters, tractors

Veinbuster

Free from car.- you forgot combine harvesters, tractors
This is the reason I looked a bit for an alternative. It was a bigger problem in planting season when they would drive really slow with thousands of seedlings being moved from the greenhouse to the field. They still leave fist sized lumps of mud along the road for about 50m every time they leave the field though.

It would be nice to eliminate the two left turns at a stop sign.

Bill Wightman

So I'm looking at Larry's results for week 12 and see that the highest watts are being generated by riders who are indoors at cool temps and low humidity and trying to parse the "sleep high and train low" philosophy into that. In the summertime, is it better to train (at least at TT levels) indoors where your muscles and heart can work harder and get a more robust training effect or is it better to include outdoor hard rides for acclimatization to heat and humidity (with similar heart rates but with lower net power)? This might have been covered elsewhere and I missed it.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
So I'm looking at Larry's results for week 12 and see that the highest watts are being generated by riders who are indoors at cool temps and low humidity and trying to parse the "sleep high and train low" philosophy into that. In the summertime, is it better to train (at least at TT levels) indoors where your muscles and heart can work harder and get a more robust training effect or is it better to include outdoor hard rides for acclimatization to heat and humidity (with similar heart rates but with lower net power)? This might have been covered elsewhere and I missed it.
I don’t know the answer but I appreciate the question and look forward to the answers.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hey Bill,
I just road my TT yesterday morning. I was really close to 4 W/Kg and it was 80 degrees and probably 90% humidity when I did it. I was wiped, and all that monstrous effort I only eked out a 2 sec gain!. 4 W/Kg is still not close to Jason, but he is a freak anyway! :) - (I mean that in a loving, envious way!) - Anyway, I can still make more watts on Zwift (but not a lot!), but my indoor setup is in my garage and it is hot and humid - and not as nearly as much wind as riding 25+ mph out in the real world. I think most people might be able to make more on Zwift because you don't have to worry about all the other things that are going on when riding in real life. Plus no slowing down, coasting because of corners, etc. All those things tend to make your overall power average lower. If you indoor setting is air conditioned and good circulation, I would expect you might be able to do even better, or at least last longer. Probably good to acclimate as much as you can to higher temps and humidity if that is what you are going to be doing your TT in.

Bill Wightman

Anyway, I can still make more watts on Zwift (but not a lot!), but my indoor setup is in my garage and it is hot and humid - and not as nearly as much wind as riding 25+ mph out in the real world...Plus no slowing down, coasting because of corners, etc. All those things tend to make your overall power average lower.
Really good point, a lot of the power loss is forced in the corners, looking for cars, slowing on tracks, known gravel, and caution slowing at stop signs as required. Forgot about that. The data available on the same course week after week never changes those variables even though the weather temp, humidity, and wind speed varies a lot. I suppose my current bias will stay with "train like you time trial" and stay outside.

Last edited:

Veinbuster

When my daughter trains for World Cup, all of the intense training is done on the trainer in a controlled environment. She does long rides outside, but the pushing of the peak power is inside.
That is the Team Canada cycling profile for rider training.

Veinbuster

Now you’ve caught the interest. What event(s) does she ride. Have you convinced her to try the old man’s Cruzbike.
She pilots a para tandem.
Their primary events are road race and TT. The European events they did had quite a large field - picture 20 tandems whizzing around a corner at Marco’s pace. They are, of course, gutted that Tokyo is cancelled.

She’s also piloted track events and has national golds for sprint and kilo. She’s racing local men solo in those events while the race season is canceled. She’s down to 32 seconds for 500m. Fixed gear if you’re not familiar with track bikes,

She has tried my recumbents and loves the trike (Greenspeed X5). She didn’t really warm up to the feet and bum above the wheels on a 2 wheeler though. I’d really like to see what her race pace is though.