Cruztrike???

benphyr

Guru-me-not
So as long as your rack and/or bag are mounted to the frame (or seat which is in turn attached to the frame) there would be no more interaction with the wheels than you would have with mounting other frame attached parts such as fenders?

Awesome! I love the simplicity and effectiveness.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
Why should it? the wheels tilt parallel to the frame by going up and down, kinda like iLean but w/o 'rocker bogie' suspension effect.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocker-bogie
I can attest that iLean is a *wonderful* suspension (small wonder it is used to martian rover)

6GV9cd4h.jpg
uE7qmxrh.jpg

I've turned my MBB into iLeaning diamond quad and it works just wonderfully... too high for proper test of 'tilt plus' kinematics unfortunately, I'm working on that.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
Hmm, I was wrong. To get "rocker bogie" one needs to make side wheels of two rockers (say, 2x 200mm kickcooter wheels per side). A rather interesting idea...

Last edited:

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Is the Cruztrike idea still alive within Cruzbike?

Not really. In the end - this idea doesn't work, folks. It ends up being WAY too complicated. Manufacturing costs for complicated = high. Complicated always = problems.

Add to this the reality that the back ends of our frames are simply not designed to handle the types of forces that an attachment would add - while it could be tested - we have to ask if the resources should be put to that type of endeavor.

In the end - a tilting trike (attachment or otherwise) doesn't deliver on the design promise that we set out of a "trike" which is near 100% stability while riding and at a stop. The tilting concept doesn't fulfill that promise and isn't better than a two wheeler in enough of a significant way to justify the huge expenditure it would take to properly develop one and actually produce it. The market for this (in my opinion) is so small it doesn't make any sense. The trike market is already bursting with incredible trikes that deliver the type of ride and stability a trike customer is actually looking for.

If the type of money and R&D that exists in the motorcycle world cannot pull off the idea of a tilting trike - its a doomed idea in the world of bicycles (that actually have a lot of capital for R&D) and even worse off in the world of recumbents.

https://thekneeslider.com/tilting-3-wheelers-still-in-the-future-or-already-over/

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
This may be a daft question, but what is the point of the crosspiece in front of the axle, under the frame?
I am guessing that it is keeping the piece that is bolted into the stay from ever rotating.
Dave - having worked with PVC a lot - and knowing how brittle it is -aren't you worried about it cracking due to stress - especially when hitting a bump.
Can't wait to see how you solve the "lock-out" issue when stopped. :)

IndianaDave

Zen MBB Apprentice
I am guessing that it is keeping the piece that is bolted into the stay from ever rotating.
Dave - having worked with PVC a lot - and knowing how brittle it is -aren't you worried about it cracking due to stress - especially when hitting a bump.
Can't wait to see how you solve the "lock-out" issue when stopped. :)

PVC ?
Light and flexible. Way to short to crack.

All PVC has steel running through. (frame axle, pivot bolt, and wheels axle)

Lock out? None. Put a foot down

Clarify engineering ... Not a "tilter", but LEAN'ER ...

Last edited:

IndianaDave

Zen MBB Apprentice
In the case of my design, you get balance assist near vertical, which means you can putter away uphill slowly without falling over at far lower speeds than normal. You can stop at a light without unclipping. Etc yadda yadda.

I took a non-tilt-lock approach (balance assist != tilt-lock) so I couldn't forget to disengage the tilt lock and then roll during cornering.

I wanted to make something that could get me to a steep, slick-with-rain, smooth asphalt hill.

TM
Got pix
ID