Diet: Low Carb and Ultra Cycling

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Nutrition summary:
I rode the entire 12 hours on 4 scoops of Infinite, 2 scoops of perpetuam, and one swig of warm chocolate milk. Last year I used 2 1/2 scoops of Infinite each hour (=30 scoops). 5 times more fueling last year! No cramping, did not run out of energy, and could hammer at the end
To add to this: I also have been fasting for 12 hours before the race (nothing since about 7pm the night before) - nothing for breakfast - just a cup of strong black coffee, which for me is a sure-fire laxative to clear me out - (without being to graphic!) :)

CruzLike

Guru
I have been on the Keto Adapted diet for 3 ½ weeks. I have read the Art and Science of Low Carb Performance. I have been monitoring my carb intake mostly, keeping it around 50g. I have not been watching my protein level and consuming fat when possible. In an example in the book a high protein level per day might be 180g. I don’t think I go beyond that level.

After reading all of your posts, many of them go to great detail thank you, I have not read how you monitor your ketone level. The book recommends a level between 1 – 3 millibars. The book also recommends purchasing a ketone testing machine similar to a glucose test and monitoring it daily. Is this part of your daily routine? Do you feel like you reach these levels based on your carb intake?

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Well it seems this wacko bird diet is working despite the fact I frequently bust the <50g carbo tenet. Fourteen pounds down while not having the urge to be in the constant root mode for food. Tomorrow is the next step where I'll try to ride 210 miles in the heat with little to no food. Diet sodas and salt water will propel me down the trail. Crazy, simply crazy!

LarryOz

The book recommends a level between 1 – 3 millibars. The book also recommends purchasing a ketone testing machine similar to a glucose test and monitoring it daily. Is this part of your daily routine? Do you feel like you reach these levels based on your carb intake?
I have not done this personally.

Well it seems this wacko bird diet is working despite the fact I frequently bust the <50g carbo tenet. Fourteen pounds down while not having the urge to be in the constant root mode for food. Tomorrow is the next step where I'll try to ride 210 miles in the heat with little to no food. Diet sodas and salt water will propel me down the trail. Crazy, simply crazy!
Hardy - Great results!
It kind of defies my normal logic flow. I was eating lots of meat and veggies - did not really monitor how much fat or protein or anything else I ate - just did not eat anything with sugar or processed flour really- and was never really hungry.
How long have you been on the diet? 210 miles is a pretty long first test. Why 210 miles? Are you in an event?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet

< 50g you get grace on that because you are already an endurance athlete it's more forgiving one doesn't go to PBP without some ability to burn of a few extra carbs. Tomorrow plan on more water than you normally use ⅓ more to be conservative. That was the only thing that caught me on the first one.

Can't wait to hear how it goes.

ratz

I have been on the Keto Adapted diet for 3 ½ weeks. I have read the Art and Science of Low Carb Performance. I have been monitoring my carb intake mostly, keeping it around 50g. I have not been watching my protein level and consuming fat when possible. In an example in the book a high protein level per day might be 180g. I don’t think I go beyond that level.

After reading all of your posts, many of them go to great detail thank you, I have not read how you monitor your ketone level. The book recommends a level between 1 – 3 millibars. The book also recommends purchasing a ketone testing machine similar to a glucose test and monitoring it daily. Is this part of your daily routine? Do you feel like you reach these levels based on your carb intake?

Keto strips work or the beginner; they are far from perfect but they are cheap enough for infrequent spot checks.

http://www.amazon.com/Smackfat-Keto...F8&qid=1463078648&sr=8-1&keywords=keto+sticks

Right now since I'm still in weight loss mode; I track by the scale which has the body fat electrical test, (withings brand) and I log everything that goes into the body in MyFitnessPal. It's a PITA to weigh all the food; I do that 90% of the time. Once weight get where I want it I'll probably ease up on the logging of food. Body measurements would help too but I need to work being better at doing that. Right now measurements come from which jeans I have to grab.

ccooper

I have used a ketone testing meter in the past. It is of some use, but not great because the measurements don't have much precision.

It appears that I am not yet allowed to post the link, but you can search for "ketone meter" on Amazon and find one.

ratz

Diet sodas

If you are drinking for the fiz factor. You might look at "Sparking Ice" water drinks. The sweetness comes from.

1) Sucralose.
2) Maltodextrin.
3) Mannitol. A sugar alcohol, so yet another sweetener.

At least then the hidden carbs are from Maltodextrin versus the corn syrup.

I like "fiz" so about 1 per week maybe 2 as a treat; I just wish they were forced to put on the label how many carbs are in the Maltodextrin and Sugar Alcohol

trplay

Zen MBB Master
The 210 just happens to be the distance to the grand kids in Jacksonville. It's going to be hot tomorrow. Especially once I get to the Suwanee river and Okefenokee Swamp. My diet has been basically don't eat sugar and avoid carbs as much as possible. Been doing it since this thread started. I constantly bust the carb bank because of things like finding out diet soda has malto in it. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

LarryOz

The 210 just happens to be the distance to the grand kids in Jacksonville. It's going to be hot tomorrow. Especially once I get to the Suwanee river and Okefenokee Swamp. My diet has been basically don't eat sugar and avoid carbs as much as possible. Been doing it since this thread started. I constantly bust the carb bank because of things like finding out diet soda has malto in it. Thanks for the heads up on that one.
May the force be with you Hardy. Ride safe, ride smart - and if you need to eat something whilst riding- eat it!
I'm looking forward to your ride report already!

trplay

Zen MBB Master
A strange thing happened on the way to the forum. My ride came to an end at mile 141. I knew the roads, I knew the route and had a great deal of confidence in my tires. What I didn't know was the Georgia DOT had just dumped small gravel pebbles on the road along a twenty mile stretch. I guess the idea is for these granite pebbles is to be pushed into the soft tar by the traffic which is a cheap way to resurface the road. But these loose sharp pebbles become a gazillion knife blades to a bike tire. Yep, flat tire, no pump and an easy SAG ride in the rest of the 70 miles.

The good news is this crazy low carbo thing seems to be working. At the 141 mile mark I was fresh, very fresh, in fact 30 minutes ahead of my best time for this route. Keep in mind I was in cruizer mode and not trying to hammer. Fueling at this 141 mile mark was 3 diet cokes and one bottle of water with a little salt added. I had finished the hardest part of the route and thinking I would set a new PR if I managed the heat monster. Oh well, I'll have to wait for the pebbles to flatten out and try again soon.

Before the sending lectures about preparing properly please understand this was really a trip to see the grand kids and a way of testing the low carbo thing at the same time. This was pretty much an impromptu grab the bike and go thing. I have enough confidence in my equipment that 210 miles isn't a real concern. I knew the SAG wagon was coming a few hours behind me so a ride stopping mechanical was not considered the end of the world.

When we returned home I removed the tire valve stem and added more sealant. Then put the stem back in and pumped up the tire. Immediately no fewer than nine leaking holes appeared. I spun the tire until the leaking stopped and went for a 10 mile ride. Both my tires look like they have the measles with little white spots but other than this seem fine. I'll find out today. Oh and did I mention 2 more pounds gone.

LarryOz

The good news is this crazy low carbo thing seems to be working. At the 141 mile mark I was fresh, very fresh, in fact 30 minutes ahead of my best time for this route. Keep in mind I was in cruizer mode and not trying to hammer.
Congrats Hardy!
Yeah Crazy isn't it. Another fuel-less believer entered the fold!

ratz

A strange thing happened on the way to the forum. My ride came to an end at mile 141. I knew the roads, I knew the route and had a great deal of confidence in my tires. What I didn't know was the Georgia DOT had just dumped small gravel pebbles on the road along a twenty mile stretch. I guess the idea is for these granite pebbles is to be pushed into the soft tar by the traffic which is a cheap way to resurface the road. But these loose sharp pebbles become a gazillion knife blades to a bike tire. .

The MN DOT is the same, my county has to have someone sleeping with the chipseal folks. All the research says it's not cheaper in the end but they continue to ruin perfectly good roads with that crap.

But glad to hear you ride was quality and you are getting progress.

I've reach that stage where I now have to fight off the erge to train harder. I still have a bunch of weight I want to drop but my training plan has moved to a harder phase. I may actually double back and do the easier slower stuff to keep in the weight loss mode. Probably going to test for a week or two more at this level; if weight loss stays stalled out then I will go back to lower levels again. For me this weeks installment "aka lecture" came well timed.

http://primalendurance.libsyn.com/51-brad-kearns-on-the-importance-of-aerobic-base-building

http://primalendurance.libsyn.com/20-graeme-turner

ratz

When we returned home I removed the tire valve stem and added more sealant. Then put the stem back in and pumped up the tire. Immediately no fewer than nine leaking holes appeared. I spun the tire until the leaking stopped and went for a 10 mile ride. Both my tires look like they have the measles with little white spots but other than this seem fine. I'll find out today. Oh and did I mention 2 more pounds gone.

Which Sealant?; I switched to Orange these year based on comments from @BentAero and its really amazing stuff.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I just have to comment on the going slower to get faster thing. (This is just off the top of my head, so please excuse any errors.) Apparently, people find this counterintuitive. From an exercise physiology perspective, it makes total sense. I discovered this years ago after experimenting unsuccessfully with different versions of high intensity training. The reason it works, and works so well, is because training at an aerobic intensity trains the aerobic system. That's worth repeating, because that's the bottom line. Training the aerobic system results in a more effective aerobic system. The aerobic system burns fat for energy. And there is a lot more energy in fat than there is in carbohydrate. And the supply of fat is relatively unlimited. There are a couple of concepts worth noting.

First, no matter what the intensity, some of the energy is coming from carbohydrate. That is not optional. It's a sliding scale, not simply on or off. The limited carbohydrate stored in the muscle (glucose in the form of glycogen) is preferred, and therefore gets used up first. Not optional. When that's gone, power output will drop. So, conservation of glycogen is key to maintaining steady power output and fat-based power and feeling fresh. This means staying as aerobic as possible while competing, which is helped by building a large glycogen store through anaerobic (yes an-aerobic) training. And by having a large aerobic capacity during competition by building a large aerobic system beforehand through training the aerobic system. The key concept is that you will still use up precious glycogen even when glycogen usage is minimized and when getting energy from fat, so build a big store of glycogen, build a huge aerobic system, and conserve glycogen during competition.

Second, what is an aerobic system? The aerobic system is composed of many components that work together to cleanly burn fat and carbohydrate. This involves getting oxygen and fat together so adenosine triphosphate can be changed to adenosine diphosphate and energy. It includes the slipperyness of blood, the number of red blood cells, the ability to get blood to the muscle, capillarity, the ability to get oxygen to the mitochondria, the number and size of mitochondria, the amount of enzymes in the mitochondria, and other factors. The aerobic system produces a great amount of energy cleanly. The anaerobic production of energy produces waste products and uses up glycogen stores quickly. You don't need to understand the details to make it work for you. The key concept, which you need to know, is that training the aerobic system builds the aerobic system. Pretty straight forward.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Incredible, three PBs on strava segments today. I feel great. Did 80 rpm down the hill before coasting. Holy mackerel... And today I found a discounted medium cycle top for 15 euros and it fits. So I bought it!

I have never got into a medium before. It's perfect. Really happy with the diet. What an incredible book!

The Primal Blueprint.

Last week I had a few days out with Juani in Mojacar.

We like to eat cheap but with this diet now it's more expensive at the supermarket and too much at the restaurants. For an evening meal I don't go crazy as I have measured all the grams of carbs I have eaten so supper tends to be more snack salad based or soup orientated.

So last week I was stuck for something to eat at night. I knew I had to eat but at the time I didn't feel hungry so I had a salad but it was a bit bland. Usually I share a pizza with Juani but a little difficult now so what I did was to take the topping off a couple pieces of her pizza and it worked a treat!

I try and eat before 9pm and have breakfast at around 10:30. I can't believe how much I have lost and I have stopped eating peanuts as it mucks up your insulin response.

The almond breeze zero milk is excellent so I have stopped using soya milk. What a change!

Last edited:

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I'm diving into this low carb thing. The pounds are still dropping and I'm moving beyond the pork rinds. Check out my meal tonight. If I have counted correctly there is 7 carbs total. I'm using Ratz's soul bread (.9g slice) and Reeses cup mixes (2g square). The bread was delicious but tastes more like yellow cake. I'll drop the stevia when it will be eaten as bun bread on hamburgers. The liquid is Silk cashew milk (0g). The Salmon (0g), broccoli (4g serving), and salad (<1g) rounded off the meal.

lowcarbmeal.jpg