My Very First Recumbent is a V20

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Yeah, I now know that transitioning from an easier recumbent bike to ride to a V20 increases life expectancy, but I decided that I don't have time for a transition nor was there anyone around me to lend me their bike for me to test before buying. So, I just jumped straight into the deep end.

Without watching the build video, I got the bike together, sans brakes and cabling, and took it outside where there is a road with a very slight decline right in front of my house. I got the boom almost short enough, and the wheels on, sat down with both feet on the ground and gave myself a little push, keeping my back upright I coasted all of 47cm before almost turning/tilting/leaning into a brick cement wall and slamming both feet hard enough into the ground and letting out a girlish "AAAAAAH!" loud enough for all of the Japanese people in the park to look my way. I didn't even have my helmet on to hide my embarrassment and someone needs to tell them that staring is rude.

Wanting to get out of view as quick as possible I quickly straightened the bike out and started Flintstoning, which almost induced a hamstring cramp in both legs. I made it about 10 meters that time, with both legs sticking out in front of me because there was no way in hell I was gonna try to get my feet on the pedals. My brakes were mountain bike shoes on asphalt.

Straighten the bike out again, more Flintstoning and wobbling so much that I felt the way a newborn giraffe looks when learning to walk. Coasting to the end of the road while sitting upright on a V20 made me wonder when I would be able to ride without looking like an IceCapades skater.

Push the bike back up to the start point and wait until after midnight so there are less people (witnesses.) I get a few more trips down that one degree slope and trying to lean all the way back, which I did for a few seconds tops, but still needed time to get my balance on it.

This morning I get the brakes and drivetrain strung up but still need adjusting. Feeling motivated I take a few more trips down the slope, getting better. Then I take it out for a proper spin, not just coasting. The first few attempts with putting power onto the pedals had me screaming again, but at least this time I was far from the park.

Now, I am pedaling but still wobbling when I do that, but can keep it pretty straight when coasting. My brain still needs time to figure out how to steer it, either by leaning or with pulling on the bars. I make a few laps around a small, 1.5km loop which has small inclines and declines, and I practice going around imperfections in the road.

I put on a 700x25 Schwalbe Pro One on the rear and I'll try to get the gears and brakes working properly tomorrow morning. After a little more fitting I will see if I can get it out onto my bike path where it is open and clear for around 50km or so.

I love it so far, and see a ton of potential in it.

Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I am pretty sure that I would do worse than stare at a baby giraffe that shows up out of the nowhere in the middle of my neighbourhood riding a v20 and shrieking like a gaggle of teenage girls.

(Not having been a teenage girl I can’t say what they shriek about only witness that it cuts through the atmosphere like lightning on a prairie night. I’ve also noted that neither the giraffe nor the teenager seem to care one iota about the onlookers. )

Soon you will be faster than virtually all humans under their own power. Let alone those that stared.

The Brook

Congratulations!

Your experience somewhat mirrors mine on my Freerider 12 years ago.
I practiced riding in a remote section of a shopping mall parking lot, doing figure 8's, stops and starts, for about 1 week, then riding on quiet roads for another week,
before taking it out on busier streets.

It took me about a month to be comfortable riding on the streets, but after 1 year, I was really enjoying it, I felt that I was able use all of my body, I was in the bike, not just on it!

Denis

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I guess being the only foreigner in my neighborhood, I do kind of stand out. Now with a Yellow V20 it'll be even more so and I'll be shrieking for a whole 'nother reason, which you listed about being faster than virtually all Hoomans.
Currently my PB for 100km on my DF bike is 3:07:42 earlier this year so I am sure that is going to be broken not only on my new bike but I want to beat it on my DF as well.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Brook, glad to hear I am not the only one hahaha. I've seen videos of people getting comfy on their bikes in empty parking lots on Youtube. I wish I could do the same. Unfortunately, Tokyo is packed and the only real place to ride it is along several rivers here where there are nice bike paths. Drivers here are not very aggressive at all, and the bike lanes are fairly wide. I am sure that I will be as nervous as you were taking it on the streets with traffic though. Let's see how long it takes for me to get to the level you are in controlling it. I'll be padding up for sure ;)

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
The first rides on my '07 Sofrider V1 were on a hilly 2-lane country road. Big ditches on both sides.
I learned to swim in the deep end of the pool, too, so I guess the drama kind of helps me learn!
Anyway, keep learning what your V20 teaches you.
The end result is that, hopefully, you'll graduate with a need for the speed that your new steed is capable of!

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Ditto, here. I purchased mine without a test ride >4 years ago. I don't regret it at all.
But I must cast shame on you o_O for not following the Learn-to-Ride instructions:
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/spring-time-learning-to-ride-time.10889/
It’s a well deserved shame but all the YouTube videos show riders that looked so smooth haha. I research the tech but like most guys I throw away the instructions right out of the box.
Thank you for the link though. I will definitely check it out during breakfast along with how I want to upgrade the components.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
The first rides on my '07 Sofrider V1 were on a hilly 2-lane country road. Big ditches on both sides.
I learned to swim in the deep end of the pool, too, so I guess the drama kind of helps me learn!
Anyway, keep learning what your V20 teaches you.
The end result is that, hopefully, you'll graduate with a need for the speed that your new steed is capable of!
I see I am floating in the deep end with good company here hahaha. I am addicted to speed so the learning curve is going to be long and fun.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
That looks like a great tour Mathew. I've got some long tours I'd love to do as well, especially through areas as beautiful as the Adirondacks. RAAM, Trans Am, and a few others are on a dream list. Getting too ambitious in light of Covid-19 though ;)

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Everyone looks, wherever you are, not just Japanese. Bike is an attention-seeker and acts like a prima donna when it has an audience. It also homes in on potholes. But it gets you. It is such a blast when you are mentally clipped in.

Beano

Congrats on your new purchase, even if you had experience on recumbents before if would have little to no difference as a FWD MBB is a different beast altogether.

Recommend you look at the step by step videos, hat's how I learnt and I used my local car park at night to do the drills when there was no one else around.

Good luck

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Thanks guys. Yeah, I found out the hard way on a relatively small pothole just how brutal they can bee since you can't shift your weight onto or off of either wheel as well as you can on a DF bike. I'll keep these old wheels on for training, and will upgrade to faster wheels once I am used to it. There are almost no bumps on my usual route, so I'll be able to focus on other stuff and feel secure that at least I won't damage a wheel or crash on it.
As for the videos Beano, I guess by nature I was kind of following those steps right off the bat. After clicking on Matthew's link I noticed it was quite close to what is recommended, which seems to be natural and the way to go. Since I snowboard a little the "dropping your shoulder" to turn idea was easy to grasp since you can turn while snowboarding by pointing your lead shoulder where you want to go.

I went to my LBS to see if they carried any disc brakes to upgrade from the Shimano BR-R317 brakes I have on it now, and was outta luck. I was hoping to get a new set today so I can put them on and be ready to go once this typhoon passes tomorrow. Which brings to mind that I have to find out what mechanical disc brakes people are using on their V20s. Apparently the model of the new pads for my current set was discontinued and the new brake pad model is G035. I'm good for a while but that is 1 of the first upgrades.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
1st proper day out on the V20 with 50km broken up into an out and back. Less wobbly than before, but still have shaky starts on uphills, and worried about kids sprinting in front of me I managed top speeds of 39.5kph on the outbound leg and 42.5kph on the inbound. The screws came out of the suspension headrest and it was rattling around, so it looks like I will have to glue it on. First time up to about 30kph the bike started weaving back and forth across 2 lanes of traffic but sitting up helped me stabilize it.

Mark Cosma

After successfully racing ( time trials) on an uprights for 30 yrs...the arthritis in my neck no longer allowed it. So with the aid & visitor to Larry Oslund’s I bought a V20. After it arrived I actually road my first time on it, but it was shaky. I’ve taken a couple crashes. The worst being a month in when a front flat at 20 mph saw the chain ring rip into me. Now there’s sealant in it. I ride at a local h/s and middle school complex that had rioand left turns and straight in its 1.4 mile course. I switched from 172 cranks to 150 and it’s great. I’m 6 ft 220 lbs. so I rely on power which fights my steering. I’m a averaging 18-19.7 on the course. However on the open road I’m really shaky. Coach Larry says it’s just a matter of more seat time to conquer the cadence of undulating roads. I love the bike. Zero pain and I’ve been as fast as 27.6 mph. Just working to control the rocket ship.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Sorry to hear about your crash, but keep at it Mark. Keep her straight ;)

So far, I haven't been able to experience the comfort I was expecting but that is likely because mine has some fit issues that all bikes have in the beginning. However, those are getting sorted slowly so the I expect it the be a lot more comfortable as time goes on. I just have to keep in mind that this isn't a DF bike where riders mostly have stem length and handlebar width to worry about, and let their neck stick out where ever it does naturally.

It's coming around though. On my DF bike my 100km time is just over 3 hours, best is 3:07:42 over a relatively flat course with little wind and an empty bike path, which was right at 33kph. On my 2nd full ride I averaged over 31kph for 20km without much effort, without even getting on the big ring, on a relatively busy bike path, and still wobbling around. I'm still doing the death grip and trying to force it, but when I started finessing it I started gliding like a Frigate bird instead of darting like a Blue Jay. Just gotta work and keeping it straight when accelerating quickly or putting a lot of power on inclines, and keeping it smooth, particularly in the wind. Which is going to be important later when I get some deep wheels.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
After successfully racing ( time trials) on an uprights for 30 yrs...the arthritis in my neck no longer allowed it. So with the aid & visitor to Larry Oslund’s I bought a V20. After it arrived I actually road my first time on it, but it was shaky. I’ve taken a couple crashes. The worst being a month in when a front flat at 20 mph saw the chain ring rip into me. Now there’s sealant in it. I ride at a local h/s and middle school complex that had rioand left turns and straight in its 1.4 mile course. I switched from 172 cranks to 150 and it’s great. I’m 6 ft 220 lbs. so I rely on power which fights my steering. I’m a averaging 18-19.7 on the course. However on the open road I’m really shaky. Coach Larry says it’s just a matter of more seat time to conquer the cadence of undulating roads. I love the bike. Zero pain and I’ve been as fast as 27.6 mph. Just working to control the rocket ship.
Try not to fight the sway; instead feel the natural sway back and forth with the rhythm of the cadence. Do that gently and at low power so you don’t scare yourself though. (Ask me how I know.) It is similar to riding no hands on a diamond frame but the timing is different (hypothesizing because of steering input and power stroke angle?).

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Try not to fight the sway; instead feel the natural sway back and forth with the rhythm of the cadence. Do that gently and at low power so you don’t scare yourself though. (Ask me how I know.) It is similar to riding no hands on a diamond frame but the timing is different (hypothesizing because of steering input and power stroke angle?).
I did another 50km total today. My average was right at 30kph, but I was focusing on exactly what you wrote, just applying smooth power. And you are right about scaring myself. There were a few instances of skirting the edge of the asphalt, 1 in particular that revved the pucker factor right to the redline. It went well today though. Different hand positions helped a lot not only with comfort but also smoothness. After about 25 km I gripped onto the bottom of the bars and started putting out about 90% max power in a deserted area on the bike path in a few efforts and she straightened right up each time. On 1 of those 5km efforts I averaged 37kph, and my max speed was 44.3kph. Time to get on the big ring this Friday ;)