Paris-Brest-Paris 2023?

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
The V20 has a 34/50 crank and 11-32 cassette, so 1.06 as the bottom gear. I've already considered a different casette, 11-36 would probably still work with my rear derailleur, anything else would be a major conversion.
If you have a Sram GX long cage RD, you can fit a 11/40 cassette. Just turn the B screw all the way.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Yeah, but that would add two more components to my parts list, derailleur and an adapter (shiftmate, wolftooth?) to make it work with my Shimano STIs.
An unusual place I napped for 90 minutes in 2019 was at the Loudeac control on the grass to the right of the control room entrance. The grass is steep down to the lower level of the building and lower than the courtyard with just the right angle that a pillow is not needed. Out of the wind, too. I planned to sleep in Brest. I arrived there around 11 pm (also an F grouper) but could not find my hotel. I thought it was going to be easy and did not program the garmin to lead me there. Lesson learned. I slept at the dorms until 6:45 am and took another nap in Loudeac at my spot and then stopped at Tinteniac at 8:00 ish getting on the road at 3:30 am because I wanted to finish before dark and 7 hours sleep is enough.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
For street festival experience, Villaines and Loudeac are lively and Tintineac's live band was pretty good too.

One tip for bentriders might be to be patient from the start when hordes of uprights clog the road gutter to gutter. Once you get past Villaine la Junel, it thins out but certainly until Longy au Perchy there will be lots of packs, the relatively flat roads will be fast on a bent and you will catch large groups of uprights.

The plan to sleep at landerau is a good one. That was my plan except I forget to put the directions into my Garmin and wasted time trying to find the hotel and slept from midnight until sunrise at the control dorm instead having slept a few hours a Fougeres and a 75 minute or so nap in Loudeac. I'm going to sleep in Pontivy on the return, should be there around midnight Monday.

CruzinCambridge

OK. I'm fairly convinced if I can pack my S30 in a box and successfully get it to Paris, unpack it and re-assemble it, the ride will be relatively easy and stress free from there on. Back in March (it was snowing) someone posted to the New England Randonneur group that they were downsizing and had a bike box they couldn't use anymore. Great, I thought, this will save me the effort of choosing a bike box. And with the price - "free" - I could swallow any baggage fees and not beat myself up for not getting my S30 into the mythical non-oversized 24"x24" bike case. (The prior owner of the box, by the way, had upgraded to a bike with S&S couplings so he could get his bike into a 24"x24" case... but what does he know).

Tuesday night I disassembled the bike... but couldn't get it to fit in the case. I went to bed. Wednesday night I re-assembled the bike. It was good to prove to myself that I could and that I didn't do any irreparable damage to the drivetrain or the hydraulic brakes. Tonight (Thursday) I made some adjustments - removed the fender, the cranks - and tried again... et voila!

Lessons learned:
- The Rival crankarm or maybe it's the bottom bracket has dustcaps that are prone to falling off ... keep an eye on those.
- It's still a super tight fit. I think removing the front disk brake mount will give me 20mm of room for some foam or bubble wrap and some peace of min
- Keep the slider bolt in place but remove the headset bracket
- Follow the order @Robert Holler spells out in his video to avoid juggling parts held together by wire
- Pay attention to the cables.... that they are on the correct side of the triangle... before you tighten everything back together.

Questions for the Anciennes:
- I don't think I'll be able to lay the fork flat as Robert recommends. I have a plastic spacer to put in the fork... and another to put in the rear fork. Will likely need to tape them into place. Will that be enough protection?
- The chainstay assembly has its own fork. I think that could use its own spacer. I'm thinking a small section of PVC pipe could do the trick. Any other ideas?
- How do I keep the cables (especially the hydraulic brake cables) from getting kinked?
- How the heck am I going to get my Thor seat in there? I will definitely have to remove the neck rest. Anybody done this before. This will by my Friday project.
- Should I be worried about pressure in the plane's hold? Should I remove air from the tires?

Any other ideas to minimize risk?

20230720_214115.jpg
20230720_214725.jpg
20230720_214424.jpg

Beano

As per another thread, the above is the bike bag I have. I'd look at getting a proper bike box TBH.

CruzinCambridge

I thought I was doing pretty well re: "proper bike box" with a hard case vs. cardboard bike box ;-). Thanks for the vote of confidence. Any other mechanically inclined hackers want to say "hard case and plenty of padding and you're good to go?"

The good news is that I'm getting a lot of practice on disassembly and re-assembly that will come in handy trying to do this in the concourse of the Gare Montparnasse.

I'm now on the fence... I took everything out and put it back in again and I can get my Thor seat in there too. Anybody have experience removing the rear triangle of the S30? A lot of people were excited about being able to do that when it came out. But I have to say the idea of having the forks clamped down in the EVOC case is super appealing. Getting to Paris and then not being able to start would be pretty heart wrenching. I'm going to re-assemble tonight for a ride tomorrow... and then think about whether to try again next week.

In the mean time, maybe I'll buy the EVOC from REI to have a backup plan and expect to return it new in box if I get the Team case to work.

CruzinCambridge

As per another thread, the above is the bike bag I have. I'd look at getting a proper bike box TBH.

@Beano Did you look at the regular EVOC vs. the "Pro". It looks like the Pro accepts up to 130cm wheelbase whereas the regular accepts only 126cm. The S30 wheelbase is only 103cm so I think I'd be set with the regular. The pro comes with the "stand"... it's hard for me to tell if you can secure the bike to the base of the regular case.

Beano

@Beano Did you look at the regular EVOC vs. the "Pro". It looks like the Pro accepts up to 130cm wheelbase whereas the regular accepts only 126cm. The S30 wheelbase is only 103cm so I think I'd be set with the regular. The pro comes with the "stand"... it's hard for me to tell if you can secure the bike to the base of the regular case.
No I did not, what I liked about the pro was the bike stand. Both my S40 and V20 fit in the case without any issues. You do have to take off the boom, slider, seat, headrest, chainstay and crank but putting these back together is easy enough. Plenty of bubble wrap to wrap these parts and fill in any void space and you are good to go

Derek

I bought this and just have to take off the v20c’s wheels, seat and handlebars, no need to touch the boom, drivetrain, etc…still fits inside American Airlines max dimensions for a bike bag. Note that the orientation of a tandem Vs recumbent is reversed so I had to use a grinder to cut off a bit of the 142mm mount to make it fit the 100mm rear dropout of the v.

Taking the bike on a business trip to Denver next weekend just as a test run so I’ll let you know how it goes.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I bought this and just have to take off the v20c’s wheels, seat and handlebars, no need to touch the boom, drivetrain, etc…still fits inside American Airlines max dimensions for a bike bag. Note that the orientation of a tandem Vs recumbent is reversed so I had to use a grinder to cut off a bit of the 142mm mount to make it fit the 100mm rear dropout of the v.

Taking the bike on a business trip to Denver next weekend just as a test run so I’ll let you know how it goes.

It's 13kg or 29lb. Not too bad!

CruzinCambridge

Update:

I've done some good tuneup rides - a hilly 200K three weeks ago, some 30 and 60 mile rides at pace, and then the Pan Mass Challenge charity ride this past weekend which was 110 miles + 80 miles. I rode with friends to the first water stop at an easy pace and then practiced my control discipline... making only 1 stop each day.
I bought the EVOC case but then still had to wrestle the bike into the case as it's really not designed for it. Is anything? I have the slider and chainstay flipped around backwards and straddling the frame which took a while to figure out. I was about to cut the zip ties on all the cabling. I hope I didn't kink any of the cables. I'm able to lay my Thor seat across diagonally, but I worry if they stack it in the hold it's going to crack in half. The good news is that it looks like there's plenty of room for helmet, shoes, kit, etc? I'd create a video about how to back your S30 into an EVOC case, but I'm pretty sure YouTube would flag it for the amount of profanity.

Any thoughts on better ways to fit things together.

20230808_225021.jpg

Attachments

• 20230808_230336.jpg
    20230808_230336.jpg
    848.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Derek

I was able to fly to Denver a couple weeks ago no problem w the Scionsports tandem case. Didn’t have to touch the front triangle. Know this is too late since you already bought the Evoc but could be useful for other people who search for info about cases in the future. Can’t really get under 50lbs w/o putting case and wheels in a separate bag so looking at a $100 upcharge unless the baggage guy is cool (which mine was on the way to Denver…not so lucky on the way back)IMG_2853.jpegIMG_2831.jpeg

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I got a softbag for trains but sure wouldn't want to put it on a flight. Maybe , if you encased it in bubble wrap and wrapped it, it could work. You can't go wrong with a carbon hardcase like the one @LarryOz uses.

Beano

Update:

I've done some good tuneup rides - a hilly 200K three weeks ago, some 30 and 60 mile rides at pace, and then the Pan Mass Challenge charity ride this past weekend which was 110 miles + 80 miles. I rode with friends to the first water stop at an easy pace and then practiced my control discipline... making only 1 stop each day.
I bought the EVOC case but then still had to wrestle the bike into the case as it's really not designed for it. Is anything? I have the slider and chainstay flipped around backwards and straddling the frame which took a while to figure out. I was about to cut the zip ties on all the cabling. I hope I didn't kink any of the cables. I'm able to lay my Thor seat across diagonally, but I worry if they stack it in the hold it's going to crack in half. The good news is that it looks like there's plenty of room for helmet, shoes, kit, etc? I'd create a video about how to back your S30 into an EVOC case, but I'm pretty sure YouTube would flag it for the amount of profanity.

Any thoughts on better ways to fit things together.

View attachment 15498
Is this mounted correctly? Cannot see the rear of the bike mounted on the plastic bracket at the back of the case (this bracket can be slid down the rails which it is on). If so this raises the bike a couple of inches and all of the components (with the exception of the seat) you can lay under the bike. When all done fill all the void spaces with bubble wrap and you are good to go.

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
You guys might have solve the longing standing problem in the community. Nice work.