Test riding a true racing recumbent

ed72

Zen MBB Master
First time I ever joined a group ride in FL we tooled southward on Long Boat Key toward Sarasota. Going over the bridge into Sarasota at some point everyone stood up in the saddle and gave a hoot and a holler. I asked the guy next to me what was going on. “It’s a hill, dude!” was his response. The rise of the bridge is the steepest grade for miles around!
My first time was a very foggy day and the group was warning about Sugarloaf Mountain. We start climbing and there is a steep part towards the top, now I could not see anything, and I asked the rider next to me how far to the summit? He looks at me and says, "that's it"

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I just did my first ever 40k TT. It wasn't an official race, just me on an isolated trail seeing how I might do, so I decided to take the plush M5 rather than the faster but much less forgiving M1.

The experience only confirmed what I've always known, but I'm glad I did it. The first few miles went fine, occasionally reaching a cruising speed of 27 mph. But after mile 5, I experienced a big drop in power output, losing about 1 mph. I thought it might have been caused by a sudden headwind, but a glance at my Garmin removed all doubt; it was definitely a power loss. The only good news for the remainder of the TT was that my fatigue level didn't increase any further, as I feared it might. In the final two miles or so I managed to keep going at ~25 mph without any noticeable increase in lactic acid or running short of oxygen. In fact, I'm now convinced that I could have pushed myself just a tad harder for an extra .5 mph, but didn't realize that until the very end. When I dismounted and tried to walk the bent back to my car, I felt dizzy, a bit nauseous, and my hands were shaking. I became aware of a thumping sound and thought it might be a jogger on the trail behind me, but it was the sound of my own heartbeat. :eek: So, no real surprises here. As has always been the case, it seems I'm just not cut out for any sort of endurance sport. Still, I did well enough to win one KOM on a seven mile segment and narrowly missed wining another one of equal length. That will give me the incentive to try again.

Great report. I trained almost all last year to work on breaking 30 miles for a 1 HR TT. Sure you have to develop a high level of fitness and endurance, both muscular and respiratory elements, but the other "huge" component is mental toughness. That is: the ability to suffer and keep on suffering. It is amazing how hard you can go, and how you can keep on going if you are willing and able to suffer. The question that always comes up is "why"? - and I still ask myself that sometimes. haha.
And it is a funny thing - and you might have experienced it - that when you have something like a mountain to climb and a definitive "end" - that is it easier to keep pushing and going until you are done. When you are just going around in circles on a flat track, it is so much harder to keep "pushing" it for some reason, and also so easy to just talk yourself into "stopping". Especially if you are doing something crazy like a Century!

You have to have some motivation to keep going when you brain & body is telling you to "stop". Being in a head to head race is one way, but when you are in a solo TT you need other things. I use music, going over stats in my head, etc. Having the live data of power, cadence, HR, etc also really helps to motivate us as we have something to look at and "hold" as we ride. I have read stories of riders doing 1HR TT almost blacking out during the ride, cramping up when done, fainting, and also not being able to walk.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
To piggyback on Larry's point about toughness, another aspect is focus. It is easy for the mind to wander on a flat course and for the power to back off unintentionally. You have to look at your power, HR, and be in touch with the pain in your legs or the searing lungs. Drifting away might be good on a long endurance ride but the head has to keep in touch and command the legs.

That was one of the "lessons" about myself that I learned on the TransAm bike race.

After like 3500 miles the Appalachian stick themselves into your face. Towards the end of a 200 mile and 20,000+ foot day, my Garmin was showing a massive climb. Being an engineer, I quickly figured it was like 14-17% and about 3 miles long. My heart sunk thinking of doing an FTP effort for 40-50 minutes at that juncture in my life. There was no alternative. I had long since determined that my legs were no longer part of me. Their job was to obey. I am being very honest. Shouting and cursing at them. I made it over the top only to find a nearly identical climb sticking itself into my face.

My challenge on a flat TT is not drifting off. Watching the power meter and focusing on breathing properly has helped me but frankly, I am still learning how to make a good effort on a bent. I try to pick a couple of key points on the course (usually the climbs) and try to keep my speed from dipping below a certain point. These little mini-goals help me. Of course there is software to beep and show you how close to cracking you are but I don't find that helpful on an all out effort; rather, it is limiting.

So Osiris, if you want to break that record......it won't be milk and cookies. Interval training helps, too. Do them on the M1. Muscle adaptation is very specific. GL. I know you can do it, if you want it.

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
Great report. I trained almost all last year to work on breaking 30 miles for a 1 HR TT. Sure you have to develop a high level of fitness and endurance, both muscular and respiratory elements, but the other "huge" component is mental toughness. That is: the ability to suffer and keep on suffering. It is amazing how hard you can go, and how you can keep on going if you are willing and able to suffer. The question that always comes up is "why"? - and I still ask myself that sometimes. haha.
And it is a funny thing - and you might have experienced it - that when you have something like a mountain to climb and a definitive "end" - that is it easier to keep pushing and going until you are done. When you are just going around in circles on a flat track, it is so much harder to keep "pushing" it for some reason, and also so easy to just talk yourself into "stopping". Especially if you are doing something crazy like a Century!

Very true. I'm using an old trick from my weight training days and applying it to cycling. I pick some object in the distance and tell myself that I only have to go that far. When I get there, I'll pick another object in the distance and tell myself the same thing, and so on, until I've completed the entire distance. When there are no obvious visual targets, I'll just keep an eye on my distance traveled readout on the Garmin and tell myself, "just another mile to go!" I don't know why some silly trick like that works, but it does. :)

You have to have some motivation to keep going when you brain & body is telling you to "stop". Being in a head to head race is one way, but when you are in a solo TT you need other things. I use music, going over stats in my head, etc. Having the live data of power, cadence, HR, etc also really helps to motivate us as we have something to look at and "hold" as we ride. I have read stories of riders doing 1HR TT almost blacking out during the ride, cramping up when done, fainting, and also not being able to walk.

My primary motivation for now is beating all the records set by the fastest local racers. That's what kept me going on the return leg of my practice TT. The record was set by Jose Cabrera, who is one of the most formidable racers in these parts. I knew what his average speed was on that last seven mile segment, and I was beating him by about 0.5 mph. I was in a state of utter exhaustion at that point, but I just kept picturing the look on Cabrera's face when he discovers that some weekend rider old enough to be his father had beaten his record. LOL

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
To piggyback on Larry's point about toughness, another aspect is focus. It is easy for the mind to wander on a flat course and for the power to back off unintentionally. You have to look at your power, HR, and be in touch with the pain in your legs or the searing lungs. Drifting away might be good on a long endurance ride but the head has to keep in touch and command the legs.

That was one of the "lessons" about myself that I learned on the TransAm bike race.

After like 3500 miles the Appalachian stick themselves into your face. Towards the end of a 200 mile and 20,000+ foot day, my Garmin was showing a massive climb. Being an engineer, I quickly figured it was like 14-17% and about 3 miles long. My heart sunk thinking of doing an FTP effort for 40-50 minutes at that juncture in my life. There was no alternative. I had long since determined that my legs were no longer part of me. Their job was to obey. I am being very honest. Shouting and cursing at them. I made it over the top only to find a nearly identical climb sticking itself into my face.

My challenge on a flat TT is not drifting off. Watching the power meter and focusing on breathing properly has helped me but frankly, I am still learning how to make a good effort on a bent. I try to pick a couple of key points on the course (usually the climbs) and try to keep my speed from dipping below a certain point. These little mini-goals help me. Of course there is software to beep and show you how close to cracking you are but I don't find that helpful on an all out effort; rather, it is limiting.

So Osiris, if you want to break that record......it won't be milk and cookies. Interval training helps, too. Do them on the M1. Muscle adaptation is very specific. GL. I know you can do it, if you want it.

If breaking that record was easy, it wouldn't be a goal worth achieving. This is why I dropped out of competitive shooting. After winning three state championships and every tournament I entered thereafter, it just stopped being fun. Cycling, by contrast, is a sport I have absolutely no natural talent for. I'm too heavy to be a hill climber, not strong enough to be an Olympic sprinter, and my endurance is terrible. Being way over the hill doesn't help either. But despite my poor genetic endowment for cycling, it's a sport that gives me tremendous pleasure, and that hasn't diminished over the years.

By the way, when you were at Sebring, did you happen to meet a rider named Dave Brillhart? He did quite well in the 24 hour race. I've known Dave for years. We started riding mountain bikes together, but Dave has a very different attitude toward riding. For him it seems to be all about suffering and his ability to endure it. The more of an ordeal something is, the greater the attraction for him. He's the kind of guy who doesn't think twice about doing a century ride and then going for a 20 mile run immediately afterward. He's a true masochist, and that no doubt accounts for his accomplishments in cycling. As an engineer, his approach to improving his performance is very scientific and methodical, which I can appreciate. I remember him once saying that, as far as he was concerned, the best part of the ride is when is when it's over and he can sit down at his computer to analyze all the data. o_O

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
My first time was a very foggy day and the group was warning about Sugarloaf Mountain. We start climbing and there is a steep part towards the top, now I could not see anything, and I asked the rider next to me how far to the summit? He looks at me and says, "that's it"

I had a similar experience the first time I rode up Sugarloaf. The steep portion was hard for me because I hadn't ridden hills in about 30 years, but when I compare it to the hills I used to ride in upstate NY, it's not that impressive at all. If I were to show Florida riders roads like Buffalo Hill, or route 13-B, they would probably pass out from the shock. :eek:

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Maintaining focus for me is all about crunching numbers on the fly. I know my goal at the end of the day. I know the splits I need to hit. Because of that I find a solo TT on a track much much easier than out on the roads. Even back in my competetive running days I was a pace runner. No brainer as I’ve never had any speed. My best mile was 4:36 which comes to 4 440s at 68 and 8 220s at 34. Over that best mile my fastest 220 was 33 and slowest 35. Not quite a metronome but pretty close.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I know Dave B. online, I tried to find him at the race to meet but 150 riders at a 6:30 am start. It didn't happen. He did have a terrific result. Unbelievably consistent power. He programs his Garmin to tell him to drink 3 oz, eat 1 bite, etc. Very organized

Did you do 3-P competitions? I can't do any of that anymore due to back/neck issues. My eyes were on the Distinguished Expert award.....how well.

What is nice about a small personal goal like breaking an hour for 40k or 50k in Larry's case is the competition is just internal. At least that is my feeling. I know there are millions of more talented athletes, I can just do my best or at least get better.....like fine wine.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Maintaining focus for me is all about crunching numbers on the fly. I know my goal at the end of the day. I know the splits I need to hit. Because of that I find a solo TT on a track much much easier than out on the roads. Even back in my competetive running days I was a pace runner. No brainer as I’ve never had any speed. My best mile was 4:36 which comes to 4 440s at 68 and 8 220s at 34. Over that best mile my fastest 220 was 33 and slowest 35. Not quite a metronome but pretty close.

I was thinking of trying the track. The T Town velodrome isn't far from me, I think they have open hours that are free. I'd like to try 100 miles TT but I am tired of the lousy drivers.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
With my lungs I am never going to get any KOM, but even I am slowed down by traffic. And traffic lights. One day I am going to go through a red and get run over and it will be entirely my fault. Red light - red mist.

And on the track you are less likely to hit a hole.

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
I know Dave B. online, I tried to find him at the race to meet but 150 riders at a 6:30 am start. It didn't happen. He did have a terrific result. Unbelievably consistent power. He programs his Garmin to tell him to drink 3 oz, eat 1 bite, etc. Very organized

That sounds like Dave, alright. Last I heard from him, he was riding around on a single speed fixed gear track bike. On public roads, with no brakes. He took enormous risks like that when we were mountain biking, always pushing himself and his equipment to the limits, always crashing and breaking stuff.

Did you do 3-P competitions? I can't do any of that anymore due to back/neck issues.

No, my specialty was precision long range shooting with both rifle and pistol, although I only competed in the pistol events. After winning several state championships, I thought about partaking in regional and national competitions, but that would entail a lot of traveling, and that just wouldn't work for me. It was also about that time that I got back into cycling after a 30 year hiatus, so that was the end my shooting days. I don't miss it at all, to be honest.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
No, my specialty was precision long range shooting with both rifle and pistol, although I only competed in the pistol events. After winning several state championships, I thought about partaking in regional and national competitions, but that would entail a lot of traveling, and that just wouldn't work for me. It was also about that time that I got back into cycling after a 30 year hiatus, so that was the end my shooting days. I don't miss it at all, to be honest.

That's cool. I miss the technical side of it. 0.25 MOA takes a lot, including some luck. I have a custom in 7mm Wby that will do that out a long ways but silhouettes with the 1912 fits my pocketbook better. I should sell all that garbage and buy another couple bikes. My Zeiss spotting scope would get me a V20. LOL.

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
That's cool. I miss the technical side of it. 0.25 MOA takes a lot, including some luck.

Absolutely. I spent countless hours before every match weighing bullets, measuring neck thicknesses on my cartridges, bench testing various load combinations, etc. It would drive most people crazy, but if you have a mind for that sort of thing...

I have a custom in 7mm Wby that will do that out a long ways but silhouettes with the 1912 fits my pocketbook better. I should sell all that garbage and buy another couple bikes. My Zeiss spotting scope would get me a V20. LOL.

I'm probably going to sell off most of my collection this year, as I don't see my interest in shooting ever being revived. Last year I finally managed to part with one of my competition pistols and bought an HK VP9 with the proceeds. I hadn't fired a gun in seven years, but I still managed to put all 15 rounds into a 1.6" group at 10 meters, fired off hand with open sights. I'd say the VP9 lives up to the hype of being "The world's best handgun". I might take it out on the trail with me in case of a bear attack. ;)

One of my favorites is something I've never used in competition because there just aren't any ranges here that meet the regulation 250 meter distance. It's a custom built Remington XP-100, chambered for 7mm BR. The custom stock is of particular interest to me. It's made of fiberglass wrapped around a styrofoam mold, which was the only way to bring the weight down to meet the 5 lb competition limit. I was wondering whether it would be feasible to make things like bike fairings and custom handlebars using this method, since it would be relatively easy to cut and sand styrofoam to the proper shape. You couldn't reuse the forms of course, but if you're only doing it for yourself, it shouldn't matter.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I had thought of carving up a Styrofoam mold and wrapping it with epoxy and carbon fibre cloth to for a container put gel flasks behind the headrest and then to mount a blinky to it.

Another area is between the stays and rear tires. A shelf could be made to hold the spare tire, tubes, and tools. It would probably improve the aero on most bikes.

I am not skilled enough but it should work. I would not trust myself with handlebar fabrication although I am considering cutting an old set of bullhorn bars in half, shortening them, and piecing back with an oak dowel and epoxy.

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
I had thought of carving up a Styrofoam mold and wrapping it with epoxy and carbon fibre cloth to for a container put gel flasks behind the headrest and then to mount a blinky to it.

Another area is between the stays and rear tires. A shelf could be made to hold the spare tire, tubes, and tools. It would probably improve the aero on most bikes.

I was thinking along the same lines, but I want to know first whether a tailbox of the right configuration would actually result in better aerodynamics. My thought was that I could make a simple mock up using sheets of cardboard taped to my Railgun seat. It wouldn't be at all functional, but it should tell me whether I'd get any additional speed as a result. I've read claims that an aero tailbox can yield +1 mph at high speeds, which is pretty significant.

I would not trust myself with handlebar fabrication although I am considering cutting an old set of bullhorn bars in half, shortening them, and piecing back with an oak dowel and epoxy.

I had considered that as well, but I couldn't find a cheap (free?) donor bullhorn bar to use. That, and the reason I decided to start with a straight handlebar and and the clamp-on grips shown in my illustrations, is because I could perform a series of experiments to determine optimal hand placement. All I'd need to do is carry an allen wrench with me on the ride(s) so that I could make the adjustments on the fly. It might even be possible to create a complete handlebar on a 3-D printer. It's not going to bear any weight, so it doesn't need to be as strong as a metal or carbon fiber handlebar, and I could make it any shape I wanted.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
1. i wonder if we polled riders on what else they do have done, how much overlap there would be, and how many "serial enthusiasts" there are. for example shooting. i used to compete a little, now i just shoot. i used to race cars, but now i just drive. but, now matter what else i do bikes always come along quietly second fiddle to everything, but never gone.

2. foamcore is a great way to lay up simple stuff. in a few years 3d printing will be overwhelmingly available. i still like to heat form sheets of different plastics (like kydex) and fold and fit aluminum to make stuff to hold things and store things. its one step up from cardboard, and with a heat gun and stuff to use as bucks you can do nutty nice stuff.

3. i aspire to racing or collecting KOM's, but mostly i just like to ride far and fast, and improve things.

4. Osiris are you north of fort myers?

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
1. i wonder if we polled riders on what else they do have done, how much overlap there would be, and how many "serial enthusiasts" there are. for example shooting. i used to compete a little, now i just shoot. i used to race cars, but now i just drive. but, now matter what else i do bikes always come along quietly second fiddle to everything, but never gone.

I'm not sure about shooting sports, but where I do see an overlap is between kayaking and cycling. I've lost count of the number of times that I've met other cyclists who are also avid kayakers.

2. foamcore is a great way to lay up simple stuff. in a few years 3d printing will be overwhelmingly available. i still like to heat form sheets of different plastics (like kydex) and fold and fit aluminum to make stuff to hold things and store things. its one step up from cardboard, and with a heat gun and stuff to use as bucks you can do nutty nice stuff.

I'm still waiting for them to come out with printers capable of using significantly stronger materials than plastic. That's when 3-D printers will become as common in homes as a television set.

4. Osiris are you north of fort myers?

Yes, I live in Altamonte Springs, just North of Orlando.