THE NEW Q IS COMING

billyk

Guru
How well the bike will sell depends on its CP-value (characteristics/price).
If the price is $2,499.99, would you be still excited about Q45?
Or you'd rather get a S40 or even V20?
The V, S, and Q markets are different, and they are clearly pitching this for commuting, or touring with baggage.

That's my use. I need an upright seat for the urban traffic I spend my time in, to see and avoid the many potholes, dogs, children, people crossing the street staring at their phone, etc ... And I need a good shock for our crappy streets. Wide tires. I'm not setting any speed records, but I have a fun and powerful bike I'm happy to get on every morning.

At exactly the same price I'd choose a Q over an S or V. That's the market the Q has always served, and I'm delighted to see this major upgrade. Speaking as someone firmly in the Q market, they made the right choice as I will probably buy one.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I HOPE these photos are to give a view of the FOUR frame colours!!!
It looks as though all the rear swing arm extension is between the main pivot and the shocker connection point, which is great as the 165 mm length shocker as used on the Softrider now fits the Q45!

Is the seat base adjustments, the same as on the T50?

Brad R

Is the seat base adjustments, the same as on the T50?

The seat base mount appears to be nearly identical to the T50. However, these prototypes don’t show the series of holes in the piece that connects the rear seat base to the rear frame mount. So, they may or may not plan to have the angle of the seat base adjustable. The note specifically mentioned that the seat back was adjustable but did not mention any adjustment for the base.

Also, the skewers that attach the seat go through the center of the T50 frame tube. These pictures show the skewers going through tubes welded to the top of the frame for the Q45.

This will probably raise the seat height of the Q relative to the T.

The T suffers (at least for me) from having the frame tube rising at too steep of an angle too close to the front of the seat. This puts some sensitive body parts too close to the tube.

The Q appears to be much better in this geometry as the frame tube does not bend as sharply upward as it does on the T and the seat base will be higher above the tube which should provide a more comfortable separation between me and the rising part of the frame tube.

I hope the seat is more comfortable than the one on the T50. Or maybe the pad just needs to be better and wider. A bike meant for touring should not cause recumbutt after 30 minutes with the stock seat and seat pad.

Rampa

Guru
I do a see a bolt at the top of the rear seat bracket. So they can either rotate, or be replaced.

I think a Thor, or similar, seat could be attached fairly easily. There are even some extra holes going through the frame a bit lower down. Were those part of a rack system? Water bottle mounts? The old Q had them as well.

If I found it to high, I would be setting the base right on top of the welded on tubes with a modified attachment system. Looks like it could be an inch lower in front, and more in the back.

And if your OK with a slacker head-angle, you can put a shorter shock in, That lowers the whole bike around the front wheel.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
... There are even some extra holes going through the frame a bit lower down. ... Water bottle mounts? The old Q had them as well.

Yes, those holes into the side of the frame, below the seat pan are for water bottle cages.

Yes, those holes into the side of the frame, below the seat pan are for water bottle cages.

I have been hoping they support a rack below the seat similar to the s40. I didn’t notice anywhere else it might attach from the photos.

I suspect you are right though as the spacing seems about right.

Rampa

Guru
I have been hoping they support a rack below the seat similar to the s40. I didn’t notice anywhere else it might attach from the photos.

I suspect you are right though as the spacing seems about right.
There are mounting points on the swing-arm. Suspended weight that way, but may not matter that much.

There are mounting points on the swing-arm. Suspended weight that way, but may not matter that much.

I see a few different mounting holes on the rear swing arm. Four pairs of holes, two racks. Maybe we will see a picture mounting at least the rear rack tomorrow :)

Lucia

Administrator
Staff member
Rack details are coming down the pipeline... Keep your eyes peeled for Wednesday's Insider email.

Rampa

Guru
I think the reason for the seat being up high, is that the angle of the boom tube is very steep, resulting in high handlebars. You'll also have sag in the shock, of course. That'll bring it down a little.

billyk

Guru
Rack details are coming down the pipeline... Keep your eyes peeled for Wednesday's Insider email.

I like the idea of the 1-11 gear setup. Are you going to tell us the range? (whatever units you want, or simply the tooth count of the chain ring and largest-smallest sprockets).

Also the wheelbase would be nice to know. Seat height?

woodguy

Yes, I am also interested in the range on the 1-11 gear setup, and then feedback on the forum regarding how well that will work. I currently ride a 3 x 7 gear setup in a LWB recumbent. I know I don't use all 21 gears, but it is nice to have the low-low and the high-high at different times.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Yes, I am also interested in the range on the 1-11 gear setup, and then feedback on the forum regarding how well that will work. I currently ride a 3 x 7 gear setup in a LWB recumbent. I know I don't use all 21 gears, but it is nice to have the low-low and the high-high at different times.

The spacing of a 7 speed cassette is quite wide. So, I think 11-speed with same high and low would be possible. With large sizes of rear cassette in vogue right now you could take your large chain ring and current cassette (high-high) and once you have added 4 evenly spaced lower gears you could probably get all the way down to your low-low once you get 11 speeds.

(If you calculate the ratio between gears on your 7-speed cassette (e.g. 24/20 = 1.20 would be 20% between gears (unlikely but makes for an easy example) then compare the spacing between your chainrings too (often twice the spacing of the cassette). I think you will find that the a continuation up or down the scale will allow for a cassette which covers the basic options you currently have in an easier configuration -- unless you are half-shifting or whatever it is called in that case you may find the gaps larger between gears at your favourite cruising speed.)

That doesn't mean that Cruzbike has chosen the same ratios that you would but you should be able to swap some parts to meet your needs if 7-speed spacing is good enough for you. I'm betting that overall range high-high and low-low have been sacrificed somewhat in order to have closer spacing between gears.

billyk

Guru
And another question: the kickstand.

The photo in the insiders email "Climb like a mountain goat" showed the bike leaning on its kickstand but the front end is not leaned around like we know it will. In my experience (Q2), that leaning around can make the balance delicate, especially if there is weight on the rack. I've never found a kickstand long enough to make this secure; does the Q45 have one that will support the bike even with a (say fairly lightly) loaded rack?

Rampa

Guru
I think SRAM is the only one that makes an 11 speed twist shifter. That would indicate the NX, if they are using the least expensive group. NX does not use an XD driver, and so is 11-42. Of course, it could use a different cluster, like Microshift.

NeaL

Guru
I'm guessing the color pairings we've seen are fixed?|
If I was in the market for a Q, I'd probably get an orange/red and a lime/blue, take them apart, assemble an orange/blue, and sell the lime/red. I really like the orange & blue color combination.