What did you do to your Cruzbike today?

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I added mountain bike bar ends to my S40 for hand support, inspired by @rx7mark 's reverse handlebar setup that he can just hold his handlebars lightly without his hands slipping off. I need to stop my death grip. :)

16018752894842204186737827336233.jpg

What I did to my Cruzbike - last month:

After about 10,000 miles the chains, cassette, and chainrings were up for replacement.
The shifter cables definitely needed replacement. I hate when they get sticky/sloppy.
It seems I need to re-do the cables every year or two to get that fresh & precise shifting.

So, following the credo of @ratz "Every hour on the bike is a vacation, so that's where all the vacation money goes." I decided to go with the Sram Etap, with 11-36 cassette and adding a couple teeth to my chainring set-up. This gives me more top-end as well as a bit easier climbing than the 11-32 I had previously.

Now after >300 miles I'm very pleased with the switch. Shifting is perfect and the range (26.9-127 gear inches) is decent.

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
If you change your chains each year then you dont need to change your cassette or chainrings. It's cheaper just to throw out the chains. Eventually though everything wears out. Campagnolo has a ti cassette that seems for everlasting which has more sprockets than the shimano dura ace cassette counterpart. I noticed also that campagnolo have a new 13 gear 1x setup (Ekar) so new stuff to think about.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I ordered a free hub so I can put a Shimano cassette on my Campagnolo wheels. Last night, I made a template for the homemade disc I plan to install on the rear as well. I switched from mechanical disc brakes to rim brakes since I won't be riding much in the rain. I am thinking to replace the original bar with bullhorns, bar end shifters and MTB brake levers, but I dont know if it will reduce the amount of power I'll be able to put down.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I built a swivel platform for my smart trainer to sit on with ply wood and lazy susan turn table. Took a couple hours. Will see how it works tomorrow when I ride Trainerroad.

20210206_155526.jpg

Attachments

• 20210206_140646.jpg
    20210206_140646.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 20210206_163537.jpg
    20210206_163537.jpg
    1,008.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210206_164205.jpg
    20210206_164205.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I let a tiny bit of air out of the tyres. I think something is wrong with my pressure gauge. I never needed to look at it. I just used to feel how hard the tyres were. When I was attempting tubeless, the instructions said 60psi. I was pumping the Airshot and it took ages to get it to 60psi. When I let the air into the tyre it went rock-hard. I thought tubeless were supposed to be soft. So now that I am using Gravel King with tubes I tried to get them to 60psi by the gauge and they were rock-hard. I got scared of them blowing off the rims. So I let some air out. Not too much, because I am scared of pinch-flats. But it is a comfortable ride now. I do not miss the Silvio suspension at all.

I got seriously rained on. The bike will soon look like my bikes always do. The back wheel was lifting up water and shooting it at the back of my neck. Hard. I had to slow down. I am so happy that the bike has worked for long enough for me to discover that the back mudguard is too short.

DavidCH

I did all sorts of updates thinking that this season I would break all my personal bests but the only thing I broke was my rib.

The vendetta is just looking at me "you wanna go for a ride?"

Well my season ends in December. I guess I still have a chance. Pretty sure I got over a kilo off the weight on my vendetta

IMG-20210725-WA0017.jpg

DavidCH

Hi David
Can you add some detail?
4 weeks ago my recovery ride on a DF didn't go as planned and I fell hard on my right side with my right arm bent at the elbow on impact. Enough to bust one of my ribs on my right side.

Seriously thinking of getting rid of all bikes except cruzbikes. I have fallen off the V about 5 times and the worst I've done is road rash and that was 30+.

The thing is that DF is half as light than the V and easy to carry. Just frustrated.

Trying to plan more updates but even that is on hold now as I have an untested configuration.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I know what you mean David. I have a Litespeed T1 with clipon aerobars and Campagnolo on it that I rode for 2 years and got about 300 KOMs on it. Never thought it would be collecting dust for the last 7 months, cannibalized of a few parts. Lovely bike for a road bike, but the V20 is just so much more comfortable, fun and fast. And you are right, being lower to the ground means less broken bones.

Velobite

Hi all.

Added Shimano PD-ED500 SPD clipless pedals to my V20 last night and took it for a spin.

I was able to push more power through the pedal stroke.

But the real epiphany, which really surprised me, was the control over the handling of the bike. The pedal steer effect seemed greatly reduced and I felt more connected to the bike.

I figure having the push / pull ability on the pedal stroke helps stabilise the cycling motion. It hadn't sunk for me in my forum trawling about how significant this effect would be on handling.

I'm about 170km into my V20 adventure and clipless seems a huge leap forward.

20210830_195955.jpg

I also have these pedals on my casual DF, so I can use the flat side without SPD footwear. I also figure the flat side will come in handy in heavy traffic or casual V20 cycling.

Last edited:

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I used those exact pedals when I first started riding my V20 and I loved 'em. Not quite ready to clip in then made those pedals awesome since they are weighted so that the flat side was almost always pointing towards the rider. Once I got comfortable then I could simply flip the underside of the pedal for half a turn with my shoe and I could clip in easily. Now I have Shimano PD es600 pedals. They are much lighter and for those who have the Assioma power meters, there is a hack to add them. Oh, they are also weighted, but in these pedals the clip ins always face towards the rider so there is no reason to flick them with your toes to get the clip on the right side.

10c986e8-c609-4348-b3b9-8a033291ffbf-Favero-Assioma-Du-Shi-power-meter-pedals-review-cyc_kWlskzM.jpg

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I used those exact pedals when I first started riding my V20 and I loved 'em. Not quite ready to clip in then made those pedals awesome since they are weighted so that the flat side was almost always pointing towards the rider. Once I got comfortable then I could simply flip the underside of the pedal for half a turn with my shoe and I could clip in easily. Now I have Shimano PD es600 pedals. They are much lighter and for those who have the Assioma power meters, there is a hack to add them. Oh, they are also weighted, but in these pedals the clip ins always face towards the rider so there is no reason to flick them with your toes to get the clip on the right side.

View attachment 12037
It is not a hack, at least not anymore. Assioma now sells a new version of their power meter pedal specifically for Shimano to which you add your own pedal body.

New thread: Assioma DUO-Shi
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/assioma-duo-shi-for-shimano-pedal-bodies.14258/#post-172250

Last edited:

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
It is not a hack, at least not anymore. Assioma now sells a new version of their power meter pedal specifically for Shimano to which you add your own pedal body.

Assioma DUO-Shi
Well that's just great. I went with 4iiii partly because I would have had to do the hack to keep from buying new shoes, which would have lead to voiding the warranty. Maybe when I need to replace mine then Assioma's will be back on the list.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Someone mentioned this little thumb support for tt bike handlebar. I added them to my V20 handlebar as my hand rest at the end of the handlebar. Much better fit and lighter than my previous attempt to use mountain bike thumb grips!

Attachments

• 20221207_211447.jpg
    20221207_211447.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16