What did you do to your Cruzbike today?

Don1

Guru
Just make sure extruder temp can reach 260_275 degrees c. Best carbon filament seems to me to be carbonx then nylonx. Steel hot end or a Ruby tip. Chinese websites gearbest.com or banggood.com have heaps to choose from. I'm just about starting to print lugs for my next bike but the post office sent it elseware

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
When Maria first flew out to Berrego Spring to whiteness me compete in the 24hr TT she actually came across my racing crew chief Jon with the bike before she found me. Jon later told me that Maria instantly zoned in on the drilled hole in the frame and had this look surprise like I had defaced her baby, at that point the bike was only on loan to me. So yeah I was super reluctant to make the mod but I was confident that I had done it clean enough that she wouldn't mind.

Yeah..........that fusion 3 is only like $4000 out of my price range for doing DIY stuff from time to time. Maybe I'll email you the CADs when I need something requiring such a high end machine.

When Maria first flew out to Berrego Spring to whiteness me compete in the 24hr TT she actually came across my racing crew chief Jon with the bike before she found me. Jon later told me that Maria instantly zoned in on the drilled hole in the frame and had this look surprise like I had defaced her baby, at that point the bike was only on loan to me. So yeah I was super reluctant to make the mod but I was confident that I had done it clean enough that she wouldn't mind.

Yeah..........that fusion 3 is only like $4000 out of my price range for doing DIY stuff from time to time. Maybe I'll email you the CADs when I need something requiring such a high end machine.

Wow.... Ballsy :) Didnt know it was a loaner. I didnt know your budget but if you can find one with a steel nozzle then it should handle C/F . While we dont have any, I have heard that Prusa are pretty good. We have a few FlashForge Creator Pro's and they are OK, not the quality of parts that the Fusion will produce but once you fiddle with the settings they do OK. The tech is changing so quickly and there are so many nice machines available for a reasonable cost that it's hard to keep up

Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
@Andrew Wilson Can you please stop making your bike look so good? It's really mean of you to take the previous generation and make it look so good, function so well, and add little improvements with such high frequency. ;)

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I didn't get pictures so it didn't happen.

So yesterday what didn't happen was I brought out the Conversion Kit (in my avatar) instead of the QX100. That is because it does not have a flange (lawyer lips) where the rear axle nut goes so I am able to mount my trailer hitch there. So I used my old beat up Norco trailer (free from a garage sale that was closing up because it was afternoon, this was probably 20 years ago) and took it out to haul home some scrap pallet lumber. What I didn't know was that one of my coworkers had brought in a bunch of stuff for my kids so I ended up with the following all "on" the trailer: 2"x4" lumber: 3*8', 3*3', 1*4', 2*2', a scooter, a battery, 2 math books, 2 footballs, 1 basketball, 1 mini basketball?, 1 soccer ball, 1/4th of a chocolate cake, my roll of clothes to wash over the weekend and my usual bike bag, 3 tennis balls, 1 frisbee, one metal bucket, and one large grocery bag - I think that is it. With everything loaded and as much weight to the front of the trailer as possible the rear wheel of the bike still tried to to lift off the ground from the trailer tilting back when I wasn't sitting on it. The hardest part was that the 2x4s kept wanting to slide forward into my tire and rub or tilt down and drag on the ground behind the trailer. Actually, the hardest part was when the trailer developed a speed wobble. It is a phenomenon that I know happens with this particular trailer (misaligned wheels?) which is why I never use it with kids anymore...

Anyway, got home safe but with even more looks than usual on a Cruzbike.

And because of the first sentence, I recreated most of it on the trailer just for your enjoyment. The orange thing on the end of the trailer stalk is what attaches at the left side of the rear axle. The scooter is missing, as is the bike bag, the bike, myself, and the 3 ropes and 1 old inner tube that were used to secure things! Oh, I just remembered a 30" x 48" piece of 1/2" plywood was vertically in there too.

lumber trailer.jpg

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
What is it with these people whose bikes look as though they have just gone to the shop and bought them and drove them home in the car? My Grasshopper looked like the battered old war-horse that it is and my Silvio is rapidly approaching that condition. Light-brackets made of old light-brackets. Wired on mudguards. Heel-clips made, if my memory serves me correctly, of furniture. No wussy 3D printing for me. But me and benphyr, we get our money's worth out of our bikes.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
What is it with these people whose bikes look as though they have just gone to the shop and bought them and drove them home in the car? My Grasshopper looked like the battered old war-horse that it is and my Silvio is rapidly approaching that condition. Light-brackets made of old light-brackets. Wired on mudguards. Heel-clips made, if my memory serves me correctly, of furniture. No wussy 3D printing for me. But me and benphyr, we get our money's worth out of our bikes.

Don’t be jelly

That's why my stuff last for years and years ;) You should see the condition of my Harley, other vehicles and bikes including a one off street legal Indy Roadster Tribute car....Or my house for that matter. I'm just one of those nut jobs who takes meticulous care of everything that I own. It's the OCD in me :)

Opik

yesterday was just going around Newcastle. Just a social ride. A bit nervous as there were 2 velomobiles and 2 great randonneurs, turns out ok and fun to ride together. You get to share the attention. the 2 velomobiles get most of them.

A 360 vid from Dome Deli, my friend on the ICE B1. (PS. so Ice did make bikes before concentrating on trikes)

Seth Cooper

Looks good, you may be the first rider to copy my use of the steel spring. Now only if we can find it in tinanium we can cut the weight in half :rolleyes:. Does the schools 3d printer not accommodate 20% carbon fiber filament? I thought most mid-level printers did as long as you used a steel tip. I'm curious because I'm about to pull the trigger on a printer but I'm still researching.

I too would like a parts list for this. I see the boom attachment was custom made?

Seth

Here is Jason's original thread with Mcmaster Carr Pn's for spring and attachment posts. You’ll want to verify the threads for the SS posts on their site I think they are different than the number he listed. You could use something else to anchor the spring but these are really nice looking so worth the $$.
You also have to buy Rivet nuts for waterbottle bosses and have the ability to drill the frame and install the rivet nuts.
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/v-boom-restraint.7838/page-2#post-115200

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunlite-Tool-Rivnut-Insert-M5X12Mmfbtl-Aly-Bgof10/302784369997?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

There are different ways to attach to the boom from making an adjustable bar to drilling another point for another rivet nut in the boom or a hose clamp would work to but not be as clean.
Mine was 3D printed with a threaded aluminum insert. I find that you want just a slight tension on the spring when centered. Today I adjusted mine to add more tension and didnt like it at all, made the bike steer heavier at slow speeds.

Total cost for all parts was about $65.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
yesterday was just going around Newcastle. Just a social ride. A bit nervous as there were 2 velomobiles and 2 great randonneurs, turns out ok and fun to ride together. You get to share the attention. the 2 velomobiles get most of them.

A 360 vid from Dome Deli, my friend on the ICE B1. (PS. so Ice did make bikes before concentrating on trikes)

Lol dome is indeed a great human being.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Here is Jason's original thread with Mcmaster Carr Pn's for spring and attachment posts. You’ll want to verify the threads for the SS posts on their site I think they are different than the number he listed. You could use something else to anchor the spring but these are really nice looking so worth the $$.
You also have to buy Rivet nuts for waterbottle bosses and have the ability to drill the frame and install the rivet nuts.
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/v-boom-restraint.7838/page-2#post-115200

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunlite-Tool-Rivnut-Insert-M5X12Mmfbtl-Aly-Bgof10/302784369997?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

There are different ways to attach to the boom from making an adjustable bar to drilling another point for another rivet nut in the boom or a hose clamp would work to but not be as clean.
Mine was 3D printed with a threaded aluminum insert. I find that you want just a slight tension on the spring when centered. Today I adjusted mine to add more tension and didnt like it at all, made the bike steer heavier at slow speeds.

Total cost for all parts was about $65.

My rubber band non-mod is still going strong.
Total cost is < $1.
Still working without issue two years later.
No drilling involved.

It does take up more space, and it does not work on the less reclined frames, but for Silvio's and Vendetta's it is worth a shot before drilling to see if you like how it feels.
(Mod: put rubber band around slider, and stretch it and twist it and attach it to the seat bolts under the seat so it runs from the front of the seat to the slider)

If you like that, then you can mod the frame with Jason's more sexy version.