Cruzbike Time Trial Challenge 2020

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Nope. Still doesn't work. The 'SAVE' button is grayed out, and if I hit it anyway, I get a pop-up that says "This action disabled for content that is made for kids."
I will try and reclassify mine if I can. I am uploading one from this morning too. Will make sure not to say it is made for kids. Should be live in about an hour

LarryOz

Here is a new video I just uploaded from my week #9 TT attempt.
I was attempting to ride full power 12 mile TT at >=130 rpm cadence. Did not quite make it. I just could not ride full power spinning so fast. Ended up missing my PB by 19 sec and my cadence was only 125 rpm. I was riding with my adjustable crank and 110mm crank length. My legs got really tired of moving so fast I think. Might work better with even shorter cranks - Will try 85mm next time. Enjoy

Hamster wheel Larry?

I managed to get out last night, and glad I did with a deteriorating forecast for the rest of the week. I had picked just the wrong time, or not quite the right time, same thing really. I got a good launch, and hit my first turn well with a following SW breeze, not as strong as Sunday but worthwhile assistance, and more importantly not savagely cross, and then head-wind as I completed that short 4-mile loop.

Coming back round there again, back onto the main road I had to back off for traffic at the worst place, robbing me of momentum up the short hill, and then as I came up to the one roundabout on the course, and Audi overtook me and then stopped to let a tractor past. The back side of the loop felt fast, but in my mind I was now behind schedule and it was a case of hammer it as much as I could. I normally work with HR comfortably in the high 150's for threshold work, but I was drifting up to the low to mid 160's this time, and wondering if I would blow up. I was definitely behind where I wanted to be at the next turn. I did however now have a downhill section with the wind in my favour again, and was managing to keep both cadence where I wanted it (95-105, not Larry style) and a decent degree of speed. Luckily no other traffic issues as I was now onto the back roads, just the 90-degree bends and picking the best route between the potholes and ruts.

There is one section I really haven't got the hang of yet, I thought I had, and yesterday it was better, but not the best. The section before is fast, but needs concentration and I wonder if I'm leaving too much there? Anyway, last 3km to ride, I was 0.4km/hr behind my PB with 4 tight turns and one uphill section to go before the final downhill push to the finish. I love these sections where you are so focussed, tunnel vision as you try and eke out every last inch of power, take just the right line through the turn (almost, but not quite). My final section is a downhill to a sweeping bend, this time turning into the wind, trying to carry as much speed as possible before the last corner and the finish.

So how did I do vs PB?
4 secs ahead at my first turn
20 secs behind at the roundabout
2 secs behind at the next turn
4 secs ahead after the last uphill section
13 secs ahead at the finish.

I've come to the conclusion that although my course is generally north easterly, a really strong SW doesn't help due to the twisty nature of the course causing too much crosswind interference, a light SW is most favourable.

I'm also thinking I put a hell of a lot into my first run on this course. Looking back at last year, my course was less technically challenging, less up and down and I'm only 0.1km/h slower at the moment. Last year I made over 7 min total improvement, so far this year only 19 seconds in 6 weeks of my new course. Am I fitter, or just more stupid in not leaving room for improvement?

here's my course by the way, lap 1 is the TT, lap 2 the cool down https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5168555905

Brad R

I missed my PR by 10 seconds tonight.
I was 4 seconds faster than 2 weeks ago. So that is a pretty tight grouping near my best time.

The wind was with me on the way out. I seem to do better when it is against on the way out. I am doing an out and back that is a little bit winding but generally west outbound. Fortunately the little direction changes and wind shadows from the hills and trees means that it is not a constant 6 miles against the wind like it could be out on the prairie.

I had to wait for traffic at my turnaround tonight ( cadence and speed data suggest that I lost about 20 seconds). That might have been the difference. But that is the luck of the draw.

I was pretty happy with my effort. I kept my heart rate where I wanted it. It ended up with the same average as last week. Although I did hold a higher heart rate for the final 2 miles because I knew it was going to be close and I pushed very hard.

I might have to try morning to get cooler temperatures to see if that helps.

Be safe. Ride hard. Have fun.

Brad

nobrakes

I had to 'Do a Larry' this morning :)

Something happened to my derailleur or shifter on the return leg and it stopped shifting to higher gears. I downshifted a couple of gears to get up a small incline and then was stuck in that gear for the next few miles, spinning a cadence of about 120 at times but unable to keep the power on. Normally I'd be at around 30-35 mph at that point as the road trends slightly down but I need my 11T for that. It started working again briefly and I got back into a better gear, but the next small incline and the same thing happened again. I just can't keep up the power at that cadence.

Once I'd finished, I was cruising back to the house and by the time I got there, my shifter had stopped working altogether. Haven't had time to investigate yet but I probably messed something up when doing all my aero tweaks with hand position etc. The TT R2C shifters are easy to not put back together properly if you're not paying attention.

LarryOz

I'm also thinking I put a hell of a lot into my first run on this course. Looking back at last year, my course was less technically challenging, less up and down and I'm only 0.1km/h slower at the moment. Last year I made over 7 min total improvement, so far this year only 19 seconds in 6 weeks of my new course. Am I fitter, or just more stupid in not leaving room for improvement?
Therein is the definition of "sandbagging" - of course someone could do that and slowly just go a little faster every week for the whole challenge and even win. But victories like that are so shallow and not only rob the true victor of the glory of a hard fought win, but also robs the person sandbagging as they will not really really improve to their full potential and have the satisfaction of winning and competing fairly. So - I am glad you did not do that! :)

nobrakes

Lunchtime mechanical once-over - hadn't screwed the TT shifter back together tightly enough and it had started slipping.

Rob Lloyd

Here is a new video I just uploaded from my week #9 TT attempt.
I was attempting to ride full power 12 mile TT at >=130 rpm cadence. Did not quite make it. I just could not ride full power spinning so fast. Ended up missing my PB by 19 sec and my cadence was only 125 rpm. I was riding with my adjustable crank and 110mm crank length. My legs got really tired of moving so fast I think. Might work better with even shorter cranks - Will try 85mm next time. Enjoy

Got both your videos added to the playlist now...

Lunchtime mechanical once-over - hadn't screwed the TT shifter back together tightly enough and it had started slipping.
Used my rest day yesterday for a bit of fettling, lubed the front derailleur, checked the brake pads and adjusted pad alignment and cable tension on the bb7's, also seem to have finally gotten the shifting setup right to allow me to access all ten gears in big and middle rings smoothly, on the work stand at least. I don't care about the granny ring really, not planning on using it for this!

McWheels

Off the long run
Like ElyDave I spotted a weather window on Wednesday evening and went at it. A steady SW-ly is worst case for me as it puts me into the wind up the key sections/hills I need to work on. Fortunatley in the far corner of Wiltshire it had pretty much died down, so I wasn't disadvantaged by it. And that was probably enough. I knew I was probably up by the time mile 8 started, which is a long re-entrant west then east loop through some rather small lanes, and it's an eternal false flat until I'm heading east again.

I'd love to know what my HR, cadence, power etc is, but all I have is the rather more organic feedback from the inside, the feel of the wind, and how fast I'm actually going on a small computer. Using Sheldon Brown's calculator, my top rpm appears to be about 100, (16mph in 4th) when I'm trying hard, and with an IGH it's shift early if in any doubt. Except for the downhills I think my cadence was pretty sound. From other sources I know my upper HR is about 162 for a long session, and it rests at 44. And that just leaves an estimation of power. I think the way to do that is to invite any other member of this forum to ride my route on my bike and see what they get. Open invite.

The final segment is all uphill heading west, it's where I lost 20 of the 30s I was down last week, but with minimal breeze I was noticeably quicker, or at least not getting pushed back as much. On analysis, it was only a 7s KOM, so probably wasn't ahead as much as I thought. But none of the internal segments were a PB. Good show for consistency all the way round, but I could really do with an easterly to keep getting ahead.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Hi @nobrakes I read your blog post. Those are some incredible aero improvements.

About the cold hands vs. gloves problem: trading long-term hand pain for a little short-term speed gain? Cold hands can last a long time and damage is easier than you might think. Then again you probably know all that better than I do.

One thing that might help without significant losses might be surgical gloves. The nitrile ones are my preference. They fit tightly and could go underneath your fingerless gloves to keep any looseness at bay. In the ice races and things of that nature they often use plastic between the torso to trap heat.

In my experience- non-aero but cold related- a plastic bag over my gloves can gain me a couple degrees, over my feet is at least a couple degrees. And not directly on the hands but if you keep the blood flow insulated and warmer then more heat gets to your hands keeping them warmer. For example, if I use half an old wool sock as a wrist warmer under my rain jacket and lightweight wool shirt then my hands will be toasty down to -15C with my “winter” gloves and the jacket vents open but without the wrist warmer it is challenging to stay warm enough with the vents closed. Moral of my story is if you have long sleeves on one of your skin suits or can in some other way keep your wrists warm and/or out of the wind then you may have warmer hands.

I hope this can help you eke out a bit more.

nobrakes

Hi @nobrakes I read your blog post. Those are some incredible aero improvements.

About the cold hands vs. gloves problem: trading long-term hand pain for a little short-term speed gain? Cold hands can last a long time and damage is easier than you might think. Then again you probably know all that better than I do.

One thing that might help without significant losses might be surgical gloves. The nitrile ones are my preference. They fit tightly and could go underneath your fingerless gloves to keep any looseness at bay. In the ice races and things of that nature they often use plastic between the torso to trap heat.

In my experience- non-aero but cold related- a plastic bag over my gloves can gain me a couple degrees, over my feet is at least a couple degrees. And not directly on the hands but if you keep the blood flow insulated and warmer then more heat gets to your hands keeping them warmer. For example, if I use half an old wool sock as a wrist warmer under my rain jacket and lightweight wool shirt then my hands will be toasty down to -15C with my “winter” gloves and the jacket vents open but without the wrist warmer it is challenging to stay warm enough with the vents closed. Moral of my story is if you have long sleeves on one of your skin suits or can in some other way keep your wrists warm and/or out of the wind then you may have warmer hands.

I hope this can help you eke out a bit more.

Thanks for the tips - yes I know all about the damage Raynauds can cause, I have some permanent nerve damage in my fingers already. It never used to be too bad but in the last year or two I have been getting white fingers even in the middle of summer. I got some Zippo lighter fuel hand warmers recently which are great for long days but you need to wear fairly big gloves to fit them inside. I used to use electrically heated gloves but the rechargeable batteries eventually died and they were quite bulky too. I get it in my toes too, not so bad and I have some really nice heated socks that last for about 10 hours so I'm sorted there if I need to go out in winter.

I was shocked at how much drag a big pair of gloves can generate, probably getting on for nearly a minute over the course of the TT.

Veinbuster

Two months into this, I thought I would check my heart rate profile during the TT. My average heart rate in week 9 was exactly the same as my average heart rate in week 2. The in between weeks, my heart ran varying amounts below the 158 in weeks 2 & 9. I ignored week 1 because I was stuck on the middle chain ring for that ride.

These TTs have been an interesting exercise in trying to bump up against a limit. For a bit of background, after repeated DVTs, I spent several years searching for a sustainable pace. An effort level that would let me do interesting rides in spite of a serious venous deficiency. At the end of that, I settled on a target average heart rate in the mid 130s. I would let my heart rate run up for climbs, but let the average settle back to around 135 on descents and flats. Doing that let me ride the Ice Fields Parkway, The Golden Triangle and such in the Rockies with my daughter for 4-7 hours at a time. That has been the profile for most of my rides for the last 10 years.

So now, I'm playing boy racer again (a very slow racer) sneaking up on how hard I can push for 20 km. I think my heart is plenty strong, and my lung capacity is decent. I also think my legs are in decent shape. The weak link is that I can't get blood out of my legs as fast as my heart will push it in. Maybe I'll find out in the next 3 months. Until then, I'll try to chip away at my limit by a bit more each week. I'm pretty sure I can manage a few more gains.

I did complicate things by signing up for another challenge starting Monday. 7 days riding, then a rest day for 3 weeks. I'll be giving priority to including a good effort for this TT Challenge.

GetBent

Happy 4th of July! Have fun, stay safe.

I am so pumped! Today was "V" day. That was totally unexpected. I just beat my best speed around one lap of the Willow Grove Loop (my Cruzbike TT course is twice around that loop) on the Vendetta with the Wind Cheetah.

So I guess the way to perk up one's speed is to break an ankle, gain 12 pounds, and buy a trike. The data does not lie, right? :)

CruzLike

Guru
Hi All
I would like to post this precautionary tale, called "Failure at 53,ooo feet"
This morning I was riding my route, just clocking the miles. I was rolling at a nice pace. On track to set a new PR. With 2 miles to go, I made a left turn and was settling back in and getting the speed back up. I noticed my right foot was feeling strangely loose. Either my pedal was about to fall off, or my cleat was loose. About 5 revolutions' later, my foot was free. looking down at my foot noticing the cleat was still on the pedal. My adapter plate that moved my cleat to a mid cleat position had cracked in half. I continued on the route to finish the ride. Only to look at my computer to see a blank screen.
EVERYONE, it might be time, as we near the half way mark of the competition, to check your equipment. Oil/wax the chain, charge all equipment, replace batteries and bathe. 20200705_103431small.jpg

LarryOz

This morning I was riding my route, just clocking the miles. I was rolling at a nice pace. On track to set a new PR. With 2 miles to go, I made a left turn and was settling back in and getting the speed back up. I noticed my right foot was feeling strangely loose. Either my pedal was about to fall off, or my cleat was loose. About 5 revolutions' later, my foot was free. looking down at my foot noticing the cleat was still on the pedal. My adapter plate that moved my cleat to a mid cleat position had cracked in half. I continued on the route to finish the ride. Only to look at my computer to see a blank screen.
EVERYONE, it might be time, as we near the half way mark of the competition, to check your equipment. Oil/wax the chain, charge all equipment, replace batteries and bathe.
20200705_103431small-jpg.9670
Glad you are OK Ken, those adapters look so familiar! :rolleyes:

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I had a similar reminder this spring. After return shipping my bike from Sebring I must not have sufficiently cranked down the crank arms. About 15 miles into a ride something felt off. One more crank of the pedals and the left crank arm was dangling from my foot! Quick fix and I was on my way but could have been ugly if timing was different. My usual rule is to check/tighten everything I clean but I sometimes get in a hurry . . .

Glad all ended well for you!