Cruzbike Time Trial Challenge 2020

ccf

Guru
it's kind of frustrating
I set my PR five weeks ago. The subsequent two weeks I was almost a minute slower, which made me realize I needed some recovery rides as I was ramping up my training. The past two weeks were closer, only off PR by 7-8 seconds. Recovery week this week, so no TT. Hopefully I can kill it next week. But I gave blood yesterday, so it will be interesting to see if that has any residual effect.

Bill Wightman

Wow - I wish it would cool down to that here on Hilton Head Island. 5am in my garage is 84 degrees and 80% humidity!
I rode last night again at 77 degF and 95% humidity. I think it may be the humidity that is the problem. I put about 30 oz of crushed ice in my jersey and it was all melted by mile nine. I was holding about 50 extra watts and a high average speed until the ice was gone, then I started slowing way down. I will double ice it next time and instead of looking 3 months pregnant I will look 6 months pregnant. I ride in the dark when everyone is asleep so having a giant beer (ice) belly is not noticed. Also there is nothing more discouraging than to have a fantastic (read unrealistic) speed average then see it clobbered down to below PB avg speed (or avg power) after an overpass and a bunch of turns and then a leg into a headwind. First world problems again. Actually the best part of the TT is the low power 12 mile ride home in the dark quiet night air.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Marco - great video and testing as always. You should still your power pedal on Sofia bike and let her do a little power/speed testing of her own! You should also think about attempting a WUCA world record on that track in your age-group. There actually is no recumbent record for 18-49 age group so whatever you did would be a record! The fastest 100km in outdoor track for 18-49 age group is Laurence Basell at 26.16mph (2:22:31). I have the fastest recumbent and overall (was in 50-59 age group) at 26.71mph (22:19:33) I did this when I did my 100 Mile record (26.23mph = 3:48:10) That was back in 2017. Sopia could also do a record for <18 year old female. That would be super cool!

Veinbuster

I’m 6 days into a virtual 21 stage tour. Yesterday was to be 1 hour of hills so I thought I could make it interesting by doing it on the fixie. Climbing was easy because none of the hills were especially long - just up and down between 240m and 270m. The hard work was controlling the descent speed. There was a stop sign at the bottom of each hill, so I tried to do about 2/3 of each descent at the same speed I had crested the hill at. After that, I let gravity add speed. Yes, I could have used brakes, but I consider it cheating on what is really a track bike...so all legs.

My quads are feeling it this morning. Good thing today’s stage was 2 hours of flat - though my flat did have a bit over 300m of climbing.

I think it might do the fixie hills weekly for the rest of the TT Challenge though. I expect to need more leg strength to continue improving my time as we work through the second half.

nobrakes

Unrelated to the challenge but I had a high speed front blowout yesterday. I was going for a 40 mile loop KOM and was ahead of schedule too.... went down at 30mph and got some bad road rash.

Im thinking about switching to the Zwift segment for the duration of the challenge. Once again I’ve got some bike damage to fix and new pedals to buy... starting to think that it just isn’t a good idea running racing tyres on back roads with loose gravel and farm traffic. I looked at the tyre and it got a big gash in the sidewall. Must have hit a sharp stone.

LarryOz

Unrelated to the challenge but I had a high speed front blowout yesterday. I was going for a 40 mile loop KOM and was ahead of schedule too.... went down at 30mph and got some bad road rash.

Im thinking about switching to the Zwift segment for the duration of the challenge. Once again I’ve got some bike damage to fix and new pedals to buy... starting to think that it just isn’t a good idea running racing tyres on back roads with loose gravel and farm traffic. I looked at the tyre and it got a big gash in the sidewall. Must have hit a sharp stone.
This is a real bummer David and certainly glad that you were not injured to bad.

This highlights again the inherent danger of bike riding on open roads (that has always been there, but more so with distracted motorists), and even more-so running an all out TT on a public road
I feel compelled to remind everyone that the primary goal and benefit of the challenge is for us to all do something "together" while we are apart and enjoy the social fellowship this brings with it. Secondarily the goals is to become more fit and obviously get faster and speed over a repeatable course is one measure of that. Of course our "need for speed" sometimes clouds our judgement. I am guilty in the first degree for this: Sometime taking more chances speeding around a corner or even passing cars that are "too slow".

Please, please, please be careful!

A few suggestions:
Per David: Don't run racing tires that could be easily punctured
Don't run a full front disc. Even is no wind present a big truck or truck and trailer passing at high speed can be dangerous.
Pay specific attention to other cars that could (or would) pull in front of you. My personal experience is that some cars see me, but have no idea that I am traveling so fast and pull out in front of me because of that.
Remember that you can always just "slow down" or even "stop" if sometime looks dangerous or feels like it could become so. Sure, you would trash that TT, but you can always do it again. Yes you can! And if you were experiencing your "best and fastest TT" - cheer up - if you did it once you can do it again - and even better. I have personally ran almost a full out TT that would have been a PB and got messed up by someone on the last 1/2 mile (This happens a lot ot me because my last 1/2 mile is a stretch with 2 round-abouts and over a dozen roads where there are lots of cars pulling in and out) - I soft pedaled for 30 minutes and took off again - amazingly to find that I was able to ride just as hard and fast the 2nd time.
And finally: If you even remotely feel like you route is dangerous - let's work on changing it.

Have fun, ride hare, be safe!

paco1961

Zen MBB Master

Bummer both on the lost time and the road rash. I’m a few days ahead of you on the road rash healing. Today was first Reasonably hot shower. Past few days, cool was all I could tolerate. Hang in there. Glad it wasn’t worse than road rash!

Per tires, when I crashed last week I was running Conti 4000s 25mm clinchers. Not necessarily race specific tires but they’ve been almost bombproof. 28.5mph skid/crash wore through the side wall and tube and tore out the bead. Just put a new set of Conti 5000 on front and back but have not tried them yet. Incredibly tough to mount but very sticky tread. Looking forward to putting them through a good test

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
This is a real bummer David and certainly glad that you were not injured to bad.

This highlights again the inherent danger of bike riding on open roads (that has always been there, but more so with distracted motorists), and even more-so running an all out TT on a public road
I feel compelled to remind everyone that the primary goal and benefit of the challenge is for us to all do something "together" while we are apart and enjoy the social fellowship this brings with it. Secondarily the goals is to become more fit and obviously get faster and speed over a repeatable course is one measure of that. Of course our "need for speed" sometimes clouds our judgement. I am guilty in the first degree for this: Sometime taking more chances speeding around a corner or even passing cars that are "too slow".

Please, please, please be careful!

A few suggestions:
Per David: Don't run racing tires that could be easily punctured
Don't run a full front disc. Even is no wind present a big truck or truck and trailer passing at high speed can be dangerous.
Pay specific attention to other cars that could (or would) pull in front of you. My personal experience is that some cars see me, but have no idea that I am traveling so fast and pull out in front of me because of that.
Remember that you can always just "slow down" or even "stop" if sometime looks dangerous or feels like it could become so. Sure, you would trash that TT, but you can always do it again. Yes you can! And if you were experiencing your "best and fastest TT" - cheer up - if you did it once you can do it again - and even better. I have personally ran almost a full out TT that would have been a PB and got messed up by someone on the last 1/2 mile (This happens a lot ot me because my last 1/2 mile is a stretch with 2 round-abouts and over a dozen roads where there are lots of cars pulling in and out) - I soft pedaled for 30 minutes and took off again - amazingly to find that I was able to ride just as hard and fast the 2nd time.
And finally: If you even remotely feel like you route is dangerous - let's work on changing it.

Have fun, ride hare, be safe!

All good advice. Just before I crashed last week I had one of those seemingly 30-minute internal conversations that actually lasts a split second. Sensed the guy in blue up front was working out of his comfort zone and likely to do something ill-advised. Found my self thinking, “think I’ll back off a bi . . .” BAM!

Moral of the story? Think ahead . . . And think fast!

nobrakes

Sounds similar speed and result to me. Hope the healing is going well.

I was running Pro Ones tubeless 25c tyres —Problem is that all the good roads round here (i.e. low traffic) are poorly maintained back roads with farm traffic. You get bits of gravel in places that is difficult to avoid when you’re trying to put the hammer down. I think these tyres might just be a bit too fragile for the inevitable hits they take on the loose stones. I did exactly the same thing on the V20 a couple of years ago running Maxxis Padrones tubeless although I wasn’t going so fast. This time took a pretty decent area of skin away.

Bill Wightman

Just before I crashed last week I had one of those seemingly 30-minute internal conversations that actually lasts a split second.
That is what my road rash averse intuition did when I had to decide to go off road at 27 mph or risk a most certain crash trying to stay on the road on muddy asphalt. I chose off road instantly and had a rather entertaining huge splash in a deep puddle. You are lucky if you have a choice. If you have a chance to audit the TT route as a warm-up that might be a good idea (to look for new gravel, potholes and roadwork) Then there are the known unknowns...we have deer down here in Houston. They are like the squirrels, they stand there as you approach and at the last minute decide it is time to cross in front of you. I had to slow and go behind a deer a few TTs ago. Maybe it is the deer-in-the-headlights phenomenon with bike lights.

For this week’s effort I kept a close eye on my watts, with a goal to maintain above 200 (my FTP). It worked. A new personal best. I think I’ll keep doing that. Because I’m bored I made a scatterplot of speed vs watts. The values deviate from the line probably because of wind speed & direction. The bike, clothes, position, and weight have been consistent.
34940E88-0402-4725-A069-F87979AE6E27.jpeg

After this week’s TT, I tried a different route that may be a bit safer. The current one crosses a state route twice, and although I haven’t had to stop yet, it requires slowing and preparing to stop. The alternative is a pleasant 4 mile undulating loop with safer intersections. The 21.1 mph @ 210 watts puts that one below the line on the scatterplot, so i think I’ll stay put for now.
BTW you can ride along my current route with the video shared in Rob’s playlist.

I wonder who else is ending up with their efforts grouping together within a very tight window. I've been plateaued within the same dozen seconds and couple watts for the last month or so. I'd be ecstatic if it wasn't for that I'm not going to consistent but it's just a limit I've hit :mad:

Keep it up everyone, we are approaching the halfway point.

I'm making nowhere near the improvement of last year so either
1) I maintained fitness over the winter with an aggressive Turbo programme
2) I left nothing behind on my set up lap
3) my set up lap had the perfect conditions
or some combination of all 3 combined with the right amount of voodoo and a willing sacrifice

Sounds similar speed and result to me. Hope the healing is going well.

I was running Pro Ones tubeless 25c tyres —Problem is that all the good roads round here (i.e. low traffic) are poorly maintained back roads with farm traffic. You get bits of gravel in places that is difficult to avoid when you’re trying to put the hammer down. I think these tyres might just be a bit too fragile for the inevitable hits they take on the loose stones. I did exactly the same thing on the V20 a couple of years ago running Maxxis Padrones tubeless although I wasn’t going so fast. This time took a pretty decent area of skin away.

Heal well, I know the issue with those kind of roads around me as well. Either good fast high trafic routes or quiet but teeth-rattling. My S40 is set up for touring, so I've long since stopped using narrow tyres, running COnti GP 4 seasons 28mm all year round as a reasonable performance and reasonably robust tyre.

LarryOz

After this week’s TT, I tried a different route that may be a bit safer. The current one crosses a state route twice, and although I haven’t had to stop yet, it requires slowing and preparing to stop. The alternative is a pleasant 4 mile undulating loop with safer intersections. The 21.1 mph @ 210 watts puts that one below the line on the scatterplot, so i think I’ll stay put for now.
BTW you can ride along my current route with the video shared in Rob’s playlist.
Mathew - you can easily change your route (just ride the new one at the same avg power), and you won't really get affected in points in the challenge. It will basically be counted as a week were you met you PB. So where that puts you based on what everyone else did is what you get. If you would have done it this week, you would have gained 17 more points that you did with you current placement, so you might even gain ground. Here are the "official rules" for switching routes if you are interested. That 4 mile route sounds pretty good to me. (I wish I had an option where I am. I have 1.2 miles (10% of my route) that is horrible with traffic and roundabouts. )
What if I move or need to change my route “just because I hate it”?

Yes, you can even do that!

The deal is: you have to be able to prove that you are matching your effort on your new course with your PB on your old course. You can really only do that with the use of a power meter or minimally a HR monitor.

The Process:

• Ride your new route matching your effort (Using power and/or HR) from your PB

• You will be ranked that week at "0-delta secs" (basically as if you matched your PB time).

• You will receive whatever points for that week that you earned from being ranked at that spot.

• You will not receive a PB point or bonus points

• You will retain all earlier earned points and category awards

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
That is what my road rash averse intuition did when I had to decide to go off road at 27 mph or risk a most certain crash trying to stay on the road on muddy asphalt. I chose off road instantly and had a rather entertaining huge splash in a deep puddle. You are lucky if you have a choice. If you have a chance to audit the TT route as a warm-up that might be a good idea (to look for new gravel, potholes and roadwork) Then there are the known unknowns...we have deer down here in Houston. They are like the squirrels, they stand there as you approach and at the last minute decide it is time to cross in front of you. I had to slow and go behind a deer a few TTs ago. Maybe it is the deer-in-the-headlights phenomenon with bike lights.

Tons of deer here in KY as well as CB retreat era from last year can attest. But what’s been worse in the age of Covid I’d the dog on a 30’ flexible-lead. Death traps

benphyr

Guru-me-not
With both official and unofficial Cruzbike retreats cancelled this Cruzbike TT and Cruzbike involvement in the WTRL Team Time Trial are the closest we get to a retreat this year. If you haven’t signed up for them... the price is right and you will get to fellowship with Cruz and other bikers. Highly recommended!

Rob Lloyd

I was just looking through week #10 results that Larry sent (Thanks again Larry!), especially at the bike types, and I have to ask now - What is a "Cruzbike Prototype - X15"?