Cruzbike Time Trial Challenge 2020

trplay

Zen MBB Master
@RojoRacing Oh good grief, the reverse fuego flats start line then. But, thanks for the heads up. I struggle with these strava segments. I'll start a little earlier and carry through just a bit more next time.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Also to confirm, we MUST use the same bike all through this year - last year we were allowed to change?
The rules state you must ride the same "type" - so you can't start with upright and move to recumbent. But you could ride any recumbent bike if using bents, or any upright bike - reg or TT if starting on upright.

LarryOz

Update: If you have not sent me your ride for last week, please get it to me tonight.
Great news: We already have 55 people listed in the event! Amazing group from all over the world!
If you did not ride last week and still want to join, you can still ride this week and just miss the 1st week

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Great news: We already have 55 people listed in the event!

Holy mother of
FLlbOHot2eVT17jfRc5wikG3WiaiDfSeNdZrWr46OdrM7xL4MYpowclc0FtasdKa9sIuuRAajZduhwejO1JmeMj5PuhQY-tXsxbskaeEswOzWU4A8q3vJ_UzzCUg2PQOJhAGM9fZ1EkbkYc

NeaL

Guru
Y’all Zwiftbikers are missing out on all the fun.

I like to record video of the weather and lighting conditions before and after each ride with a 360° sweep of the horizon.

I estimate the sustained winds were around 25mph during my 1st Time Trial ride.

Before video.

Just finished, came to full stop.

After video.

Last edited:

LarryOz

Hello Everyone,
Well the first week is over and what a huge turnout!
We had 53 people ride their TT for week #1! - a record by far!

What a fantastic group and I thank each of you for participating.
I counted people from 17 states in the US, and riders from Australia(1), UK(4), New Zealand (1), Italy(1), and Canada (1) (Thanks for making this a truly international field!)
I look forward to seeing each of your progress as the weeks roll by.

I will provide a weekly summary showing all riders and their times, points, and other "data".
I will also provide a weekly "category list" showing weekly "winners" in each category (and current leader in each category), and may bring attention to a specific standout ride or 2.

Remember this is primarily about getting stronger more fit and learning how to go the fastest on what you ride. Your main competition is yourself. Don't get too wrapped up in the points "race". It's fun to have numbers to crunch and add up is all. That is why I created all the other categories. If you can think of "other" categories you would like me to add, please send me an email and explain what you would like. I can add as many as people would like to see. (We may not have "Awards" for all of them in the end, but it is fun to have different data to look at each week.)

If you see your name with a yellow highlight in one of the cells, that means I need some information from you.
Right now, I need segments from 2 people and weight for 3 other people (see #DIV/0!).
You do not need to give me your weight unless you are giving me power numbers from a power meter (that is needed to calculate watts/kg)
I pulled your location from your Strava profile. Please check in in column 2 - if wrong, please shoot me an email with correct info.

I know this is a ton of data (my eyes are crossed from entering and looking at it!). I also ask each of you to double check your time and any other data (watts, Hr, cad) that is listed for you. With all this data entry it is hard to get it 100%, so I will rely on each of you to double check the numbers and report back to me if I have any errors. Please email me and do not post needed corrections on the forum thread - Thanks.

Once again - welcome to everyone - and I look forward to a great challenge.
Larry

2020 TT - week1 Category leaders.PNG
2020 TT - week1 Stats.PNG

Advise, please.
I just finished my 2nd TT at 21 miles/hr, 200 watts, heart rate 151. That's faster than I've gone in nearly 40 years, so training must be helping.
I'm completing a round of Trainer Road's "Climbing Road Race", Low Volume thinking it'll help me where I'm weakest. I tend to get dropped on the hills. I plan to go to a Mid Volume pace (5-6 hours/week) with my next phase. Should I go with the 40k TT block to improve my speed and endurance or some other?

LarryOz

Advise, please.
I just finished my 2nd TT at 21 miles/hr, 200 watts, heart rate 151. That's faster than I've gone in nearly 40 years, so training must be helping.
I'm completing a round of Trainer Road's "Climbing Road Race", Low Volume thinking it'll help me where I'm weakest. I tend to get dropped on the hills. I plan to go to a Mid Volume pace (5-6 hours/week) with my next phase. Should I go with the 40k TT block to improve my speed and endurance or some other?
Hey Mathew - Congrats on your fitness level. The "Climbing Road Race" has helped I am sure and has given you a wonderful endurance base to build on. Yes, I would switch over to the 40k block. Since this is an 8 week plan. I would suggest going forward with your mid-volume plan , then take a week or 2 to rest, then do an FTP test and do another round of 40k TT block possibly stretching it out to correspond to the end of the TT challenge. Coordinate the days of the plan with your weekly TT effort . Based on the way the plan is laid out, I would schedule my TT on Sunday, and do a little more of a easy day on Saturday. Obviously shift all the days in the plan left or right so it corresponds to the actual day you want to ride your weekly TT - Good luck and look forward to your progress Mathew! Excited for you!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Well there go my bonus points this week, dropped 52 seconds off my time from last week. I guess it was expected after doing it last week on tired legs but still a solid starting line to kick it off.

Greatest benefits this week were 2 fold

1. knowing last week when I tried to hold 300w I quickly felt the strain 5 miles in and had to back off completely a few times to try and recoup so this week I didn't set any goals.
2. I didn't look at my power more than once or twice. I did look at my HR and sometimes my cadence just noting mentally how I felt aka listening to my body. I really focus on looking up the road at people I was catching and tried to mentally picture myself pushing through some limits on past group rides, a little mental boxing.

I did trip at the end with a mile to go grabbing one downshift and dropping 100 or so watts to regain my composure but I finished even stronger so overall the last two miles averaged out the same as the rest. Now I just need to remember and engrain what the effort feels like and trying and push a little harder each week. I don't consider this my physical limit, because I feel I still have some left in the tank mentally and physically. You've heard me say to never assume your limits, over these next weeks as I get mentally better and eeking out just that little bit more I'll also be getting stronger and getting closer to exerting my physical limit. So, in reality, you gain on 3 fronts as long as you let yourself grow and don't limit yourself.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3447827052/analysis/947/2510

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
@RojoRacing I've just realised you're doing the indoor segment this year, how come? That is a great average wattage BTW

i live in dense city next to mountains so it’s ether do a hill climb TT or drive an hour to find a flat road with no lights. Hill climbs don’t play well with tight consistent times, being a little off on a flat TT means 20-30 seconds, do that on a hill climb and you can be over a minute or two off.

The indoor TT also brings its own mental challenges that you don’t have outside so in that way it can make you stronger if you are keen to notice what is holding you back. Also the original CruzBike TTs were both mainly on Zwift so I’m keeping up tradition.

i live in dense city next to mountains so it’s ether do a hill climb TT or drive an hour to find a flat road with no lights. Hill climbs don’t play well with tight consistent times, being a little off on a flat TT means 20-30 seconds, do that on a hill climb and you can be over a minute or two off.

The indoor TT also brings its own mental challenges that you don’t have outside so in that way it can make you stronger if you are keen to notice what is holding you back. Also the original CruzBike TTs were both mainly on Zwift so I’m keeping up tradition.

I have a winter turbo programme that has some nasty intervals that progress by reducing the rest interval, eventually to zero so you end up doing a 28min single interval. It's definitely mentally challenging.

The challenge where I am is the wind, I have a pan-flat course, 2 loops with 10m elevation change per loop and absolutely exposed to the wind. Today for example it was supposed to be light winds and warm. It was 15C and the wind had me 10km/h slower upwind than downwind.

Does that mean I don't go out, of course not! With the current lockdown situation here combined with the domestic setting, I can get out one day at a weekend, maybe one day in the week. If that's a crappy day so be it, and live with the conditions, regardless of the impact on the time.

Brad R

I have a winter turbo programme that has some nasty intervals that progress by reducing the rest interval, eventually to zero so you end up doing a 28min single interval. It's definitely mentally challenging.

The challenge where I am is the wind, I have a pan-flat course, 2 loops with 10m elevation change per loop and absolutely exposed to the wind. Today for example it was supposed to be light winds and warm. It was 15C and the wind had me 10km/h slower upwind than downwind.

Does that mean I don't go out, of course not! With the current lockdown situation here combined with the domestic setting, I can get out one day at a weekend, maybe one day in the week. If that's a crappy day so be it, and live with the conditions, regardless of the impact on the time.

I am able to get out more times than you but the weather has not been very cooperative the last two weeks. My TT route is an out and back that starts about 17 miles from home. If I ride there, I need about 3 hours for the whole adventure. If I drive, I still need a couple hours if I include a warm up and cool down. So the number days I can get in the TT is limited.

Week 1 I rode into a 20-25 mph wind on the outbound leg. I was more than 2 minutes slower than when I did a test run the week before.

Today there was a light wind that was against on the return leg. But there was water over the road in two places. So I had to slow quite a bit 4 times. I am glad that I have fenders on my bike! Was still faster than week 1, but I think the wind is going to push my times around all season. I am sure I won’t see monotonically improving times across the whole season.

But I enjoy the challenge of pushing as hard as I can. This is the first time I ever really tried to do TT effort.

I tend to prefer the headwind on the outbound leg. I will have to work on either being able to go max power longer or learn how hard I can work on the outbound leg with the wind at my back in order to have the reserves to push through all the way to the end of the return leg. Today I pushed pretty hard on the way out and as long as I could on the way back. But the last mile, I could only get my heart rate up to about 5-10 bpm less than I was for the first 10 miles.