Cruzbike Time Trial Challenge 2020

woodguy

Yes, this is the first time for me with a TT also, and I am also finding the wind can be a big factor. I agree that fighting the wind on the way out is preferred, but will have to learn how hard to push early to have enough left at the end to finish. I picked the flattest route I could find, but there are a couple of small hills. I need to learn how hard to push on them. I do expect to improve my fitness even if I don't get a new PB every week.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Yes, this is the first time for me with a TT also, and I am also finding the wind can be a big factor. I agree that fighting the wind on the way out is preferred, but will have to learn how hard to push early to have enough left at the end to finish. I picked the flattest route I could find, but there are a couple of small hills. I need to learn how hard to push on them. I do expect to improve my fitness even if I don't get a new PB every week.
Generally speaking the wind is usually not as bad early in the morning. That is when I would usually do my TT. Now that I have moved to the beach - it seems like it is windy all the time, but still not as severe in the early morning

nobrakes

A power meter is a good investment for those wishing to gauge performance when riding outside. Faster or slower, you know exactly what wattage you did. So a slower ride might still be stronger depending on the wind, which gives you a warm fuzzy feeling and knowledge you’re improving regardless of the time.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Not sure if you have a power meter or not, but if you have the cash and interest - that would be a great investment. As "nobrakes" said above - it is the best way to gauge performance. Once you know you 1-hr FTP level (avg watts you can put out for an hour), then you can monitor your power output live on your Garmin as you ride your TT. Hills: You need to crush the hills as hard as you possibly can - You can recover a little on the way back down. A power meter will also help you know hard to go on the hills, and exceptional for training for TT's like this.

woodguy

Don’t have a power meter. I’ll look into it. The idea of a warm fuzzy feeling even if I’m slower is appealing, but probably not as good as a new PB. I’ll also try pushing harder on the hills.

Today would have been a better day, but no childcare, so family and gardening. At least I created two new bonsai and mowed the lawn. Winds definitely lower in the morning on average, difficulty is also managing insulin as T1 Diabetic, need to leave a certain time between insulin reduction and exercise.

No power meter, but my TT is accurate for power, so if you have a trace of power vs HR on a session then you can use HR as a reasonable proxy for power. Which is how I know I'm at probably 30-50W down vs Jason P

Brad R

What is most cost effective way to get a power measurement that works with my Garmin? Initial cost and reliability.

I already spent a bunch on a new bike this year. Not sure what my budget is for more bike stuff.

also, I am an engineer and worry a little that I would get too wrapped up in numbers.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
What is most cost effective way to get a power measurement that works with my Garmin? Initial cost and reliability.

I already spent a bunch on a new bike this year. Not sure what my budget is for more bike stuff.

also, I am an engineer and worry a little that I would get too wrapped up in numbers.

what kind of pedals do you use or prefer to use?

NeaL

Guru
I used to live out near the shore in Daytona Beach, ride a bicycle or inline skate for about 5 miles inland to where my university was in the morning, then go back home in the afternoons or evenings.

I was always fighting a headwind. During a meteorology class, I learned why.

The wind always flows from an area of higher pressure towards an area of relatively lower pressure. It seeks equilibrium.
The ocean temperatures remain more steady around the clock while the landmass heats up more during the day and cools down more at night.
So in the mornings on my way to classes and work, the cooler air of higher density over the landmass was moving out towards the thinner, warmer air over the ocean.
By the time I was heading home the landmass had become warmer relative to the ocean surface, so again I was fighting a headwind.

Once I realized that the wind didn't actually hate me, I stopped taking it so personally.

I sent my TT in, but I found this interesting. This is another segment on the first half of the TT. I really enjoy the consistency for the last 3 runs. Today, I tied my PR at exactly 11:44.99 so no confetti :(

C8652CDA-472A-4AD3-B018-69F144F9DE80.jpeg

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I am using Shimano A520 SPD (2 hole) pedals.

I have used several different SPD pedals. I haven’t tried any other cleated pedals.

If you want to continue using mtb pedals then pedal based power meters aren't really an option right now.

As I mentioned in another post:

I used a Stages left crank arm power meter on my upright bike. I think there’s a couple more brands out there now.
https://stagescycling.com/us/products/power/

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/02/stages-lr-dual-sided-power-meter-in-depth-review.html

Brad R

If you want to continue using mtb pedals then pedal based power meters aren't really an option right now.
If I was willing to change to road bike cleat system, what would you recommend in pedal based power meters?

of course, I would need new shoes too.

NeaL

Guru
Last week's Time Trial and this week's. It's along a divided highway, 6 miles down and back.

My speed graph gets really jagged towards the end of this week. My theory is, this is what fatigue looks like.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 01.23.51.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 01.23.51.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 01.24.40.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 01.24.40.png
    90.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
well, todays wind was stronger than Saturday and in a worse direction as well, hit me down one straight and because of the angles did nto help as much down the long straight. I also got baulked by a dustcart on the secodn lap, probably cost me 10-15 secs overall. Hopefully I can get another attempt in Friday or Saturday, but the rest of the week is also forecast windy

On the subject of wind, my course is on country roads with fields all around. last year I paid attention to where they were planting corn. I was happy to see where the corn is planted again this year. The longer segments of my course are north south and when the wind typically comes from the west I can hide behind the corn wall once it is high enough. Last year it was more than a foot taller than me standing next to it on the 4th of July. That farmer got his crop in early. This wind block definatly helps cut down the cross winds effect on the rear disc wheel and may allow me to run my front disc from time to time depending on wind speeds.