RojoRacing Video edits

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
The thing that gets me is the faith you people have in your tyres. Even if my lungs would let me race Jason I would be too scared of sliding. Even then, there are a few downhills in Essex where I slow down because I cannot bring myself to lean over that far. Tyre adhesion just fails. No warning. When I run my hands over tyres they do not seem very grippy. The road surface does not seem very grippy. I cannot make the leap of faith that these surfaces will stick together.

You can’t compare tire grip between motorcycles and bicycles, motorcycles grip levels are on a whole other level. Also motorcycle tire grip is completely dependent on them getting hot, they get super sticky when hot, bicycle tires never get hot. You also can’t compare motorcycles speeds on the street with that on a closed racing circuit, street may look fast and scary but our speeds on track are insane.

I’ve had a 2 moments on the V where I leaned it over into a corner while my instincts said “nope you just F#%ked up we’re so going down this time” and the tires just gripped. Normally I’d have reacted to my instincts and aborted the corner via additional braking or going strait off the corner but outside influences caused my ego to take over. I was lucky it didn’t end poorly but it gave my a glimpse of what is possible at times.

I’ve never broken traction on the V with pure corner speed and lean angle. The only times I’ve ever broken traction is due to brake input(rider error) or unfavorable road conditions like holes or gravel.

Anyone can go fast like the Pros but also anyone can crash so take your chances.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Is this video jumpy for anyone else? I think youtube editor messed up the video during upload or something because the original file is spot on.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Not sure I would know what to look for with respect to quality but it seemed to work fine for me. Love all these twisty turny downhills. Keep 'em coming.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
Looking good here in Firefox and Chrome if you mean fluid motion. That is a frustrating problem with a lot of fast motion videos where the moving objects jerk across the screen, but I don't see that in this video.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
On my PC via youtube it's like it goes into slowmo for a few seconds then jumps forward the lost frames and keeps doing this randomly through the video, makes it impossible to watch. On my Phone it looks super clear so maybe it's something odd with my chrome browser.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
After the DH in the first video from today I'm seriously considering upping the front rotor on the V20 to a 180mm from 160 because into some of those hairpins I was using everything that 160mm rotor had to offer.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
On my PC via youtube it's like it goes into slowmo for a few seconds then jumps forward the lost frames and keeps doing this randomly through the video, makes it impossible to watch. On my Phone it looks super clear so maybe it's something odd with my chrome browser.
That is a problem I encounter on YouTube and other sites and I don't know what causes it. As of right now my Chrome here likes your video.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
After the DH in the first video from today I'm seriously considering upping the front rotor on the V20 to a 180mm from 160 because into some of those hairpins I was using everything that 160mm rotor had to offer.
I would try a 180 mm Shimano Ice Cool, or equivalent with AL cooling fins, to remove as much heat between the many switchbacks!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I would try a 180 mm Shimano Ice Cool, or equivalent with AL cooling fins, to remove as much heat between the many switchbacks!

I don't think it's so much a heat thing since it's not a thing that gets worse with each turn, it's just me asking too much from the equipment right into the first corner. I'm just waiting as long as possible and applying the brakes as hard a possible, to the point I'm mostly focused on whether or not my front tire is going to skid. The average rider would probably heat up their rotors just as much or even more simply because they'd be on them twice as long even if at less pressure. As with most things in the cycling industry, cooling fins on a rotor is mostly marketing when it comes to practical application. I fins gain you 15% better cooling then going 20mm larger on your rotor gains you that same 15% cooling but also 20% more power.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I don't think it's so much a heat thing since it's not a thing that gets worse with each turn, it's just me asking too much from the equipment right into the first corner. I'm just waiting as long as possible and applying the brakes as hard a possible, to the point I'm mostly focused on whether or not my front tire is going to skid. The average rider would probably heat up their rotors just as much or even more simply because they'd be on them twice as long even if at less pressure. As with most things in the cycling industry, cooling fins on a rotor is mostly marketing when it comes to practical application. I fins gain you 15% better cooling then going 20mm larger on your rotor gains you that same 15% cooling but also 20% more power.
Agreed! That's why I have 185 mm Front, 160 mm Rear on my three disk braked Cruzbikes, Silvio S2.2, Quest v1.0 and Softrider.

Have you done an experiment with a DF rider with disk brakes, to see how much faster you brake?
From a spreadsheet I created, with bike vertical C of G, I think the road bike will only brake at 45% de-acceleration of the vendetta, using the front brake only, and the rear wheel just lifting off, and 9.5 Kw heat at 50 kph, compared to 4.2 Kw for a road bike!

I have 4.6 m distance from 30 kph (19 mph) for the Vendetta, and 9.8 m for a Road Racer on the drops, which both seem too short for me!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Hmm on perfect pavement the V could put brake the DF by maybe 20% because of COG but as you can see in my videos the pavement isn’t perfect. The lack of 7 extra lbs plus ability to suspend 100% of the riders weight allow the DF too brake surprisly well because it lighter and more solidly in contact with the ground.

Also when I’ve doing over 50 mph into a 15 mph hairpin on the DF, not only do I get my body low I also get my ass behind the seat. There’s also the fact that on the DF I can still hold slightly more corner speed and trail brake deeper so overall my braking point on the DF is slightly later in most cases.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Hmm on perfect pavement the V could put brake the DF by maybe 20% because of COG but as you can see in my videos the pavement isn’t perfect. The lack of 7 extra lbs plus ability to suspend 100% of the riders weight allow the DF too brake surprisly well because it lighter and more solidly in contact with the ground.

Also when I’ve doing over 50 mph into a 15 mph hairpin on the DF, not only do I get my body low I also get my ass behind the seat. There’s also the fact that on the DF I can still hold slightly more corner speed and trail brake deeper so overall my braking point on the DF is slightly later in most cases.
Have you found going to 28 mm tyres help you braking ability?

Do you think that the DF better cornering speed, is because you you can move your upper body to compensate for a small mid corner bump?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Have you found going to 28 mm tyres help you braking ability?

Didn't notice it when braking hard but when I initially took off the Chinese carbons with 25mm tires and put on the Enve wheels with 28mm tires but I was surprised how it felt better in the corners. I wasn't even thinking beforehand about better grip, I just swapped the wheelset for other reason and while descending the mountain that evening I was like "damn I'm really getting into the grove in these corners today". You would be able to brake harder on wider tires but because wider tires have more mass you're also trying to slow down more mass which probably only negates 10% of the grip gains.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Was there a change of tyre make, as I went from Cont 4000s 23 mm to Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 700 * 28, my descents speeds on the Norton Summit climb, went up 20% and I felt confident cornering instead of nervous!

ccf

Guru
Ok here is one more and I made sure to steal the KOM on this one from every rider in the Pro Peloton during the Tour de California, probably the first time I've managed that.

I like how you passed that cyclist headed your direction like he was standing still.

Why did you edit out the vehicle pass? I feel it’s like Mom and Dad making the kids cover their eyes during the sex scenes. ;-)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I like how you passed that cyclist headed your direction like he was standing still.

Why did you edit out the vehicle pass? I feel it’s like Mom and Dad making the kids cover their eyes during the sex scenes. ;-)

I don’t remember passing any cyclists yesterday going my direction.

Edited the car pass because I didn’t like how I performed it in its timing so I didn't care to show it or promote it.

ccf

Guru
I don’t remember passing any cyclists yesterday going my direction.

Looking at the video on a real screen, I see that the cyclist you passed actually was standing still (was stopped at the side looking at his phone). There was also another guy off to the side who appeared to be taking a bio break who I didn't even notice when viewing the video on my phone. Must have been quite a thrill ride.

Last edited: