What did you do to your Cruzbike today?

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Ditto the short cranks. Started out w Ultegra 172.5s when I first switched from DF to S40 - my first foray into the bent world. Quickly felt it in the knees so ordered the Apex set shortened to 155 by Mark at Bikesmith Designs. Made all the difference in the world. And he is a wealth of good info!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Ditto the short cranks. Started out w Ultegra 172.5s when I first switched from DF to S40 - my first foray into the bent world. Quickly felt it in the knees so ordered the Apex set shortened to 155 by Mark at Bikesmith Designs. Made all the difference in the world. And he is a wealth of good info!
Bike Smith is extremely helpful, and wants every customer to get the best and cheapest option!!!
My 4 Cruzbikes all have Bikesmith shortened cranksets on them!!

jond

Zen MBB Master
Slim I paid $370 Australian to my door for crankset and B.B. new.

How does that price compare to bikesmith options.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Where from Jon? Not that I have expendable income for the next 18 - 25 years but I like to dream :p:D

Hi Barry.

I got them from Mybikeshop.com an American store.

The $370 include a bottom bracket and choice of three crankset ring combos.

This was an alloy crankset. They do have a carbon one crankset but it’s nearly twice the price and not that much lighter.

They go down to 145 mm crank length.

The crankset is available locally but the cheapest I found was $ 500. From an online tri store......

Yes a young family will make things tough for a couple of decades lol.

There are some advantages to old age like being an empty nester.

Then again yesterday that was me transferring funds to my sons bank account. Lol

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Plus original cost of the crankset slim or is that included in the $300 Australian. ??
SRAM Apex 10 Speed
Road 39-53 rings - 147.5mm to 158mm length Or
Compact Double 34-50 rings - 137.5mm to 158mm length Or
CycloCross 36-46 rings - 137.5mm to 158mm length
$219 Includes GXP External Bearing BB

Jond, I think drinking all that stolen SA water, has effected your eye sight, as there is a link to the BikeSmith site, AND you need to scroll down a bit!!!!!!!

jond

Zen MBB Master
SRAM Apex 10 Speed
Road 39-53 rings - 147.5mm to 158mm length Or
Compact Double 34-50 rings - 137.5mm to 158mm length Or
CycloCross 36-46 rings - 137.5mm to 158mm length
$219 Includes GXP External Bearing BB

Jond, I think drinking all that stolen SA water, has effected your eye sight, as there is a link to the BikeSmith site, AND you need to scroll down a bit!!!!!!!

I just needed more exclamation marks ye old bold font bar#$*d.

Hey that’s a good deal. Stolen coopers pale ale recycled back to south Australia.

Brilliant. You won’t know the difference between pee and pee with an i and an s s.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I just needed more exclamation marks ye old bold font bar#$*d.

Hey that’s a good deal. Stolen coopers pale ale recycled back to south Australia.

Brilliant. You won’t know the difference between pee and pee with an i and an s s.
As you MUST be legally BLIND, I thought you needed BIG Bold FONTS!!

Coopers Pale Ale is a GREAT beer, that is sold around the world, along with 4X beer (Qld), but NO NSW beers!!!
The original West End Draught (SA) beer, is what put me off beer as a teenager, as IT tastes like pee

jond

Zen MBB Master
Today I washed my bike in tooheys new and toasted the job with coopers pale ale.

Have to agree with your beer assessment slim.

Yesterday’s ride I hit some small pieces of concrete and my front tyre sidewall blew out. Hole size my little finger. Lucky was riding straight ahead . 28 mm Conti gp 4000 s 11

So went back home fitted new 25 mm conti gp 4000 s. The 28 mm on my velocity a23 rims were a little too close to the 6800 ultegra calipers. Pity as i liked the 28 mm comfort at 80 psi.

The boom slipped forward again so I cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol tooheys new lol and taped a strip of insulation tape under the clamp. Fingers crossed.

rx7mark

Guru
This last week I did the following on my T50.

1) Emeljay steering mod - See new thread in the T50 forum for pictures
2) Replaced my seat struts with swaged aluminum tubes and aluminum rod ends - See the Emeljay mod thread on T50 forum for pics
3) Added Wolf 11-49 conversion to my Shimano 11-42 cassette. Maybe I can make it up that 15%+ 1/2 mile long hill on my way home from work. I currently have to pause part way and take a break or my heart rate gets too high.
4) Cleaned and Speed waxed my chain, I also had to buy a new chain because with the Wolf 49 tooth cassette big ring. It was too short to reinstall, then I had to clean and wax the new chain and splice it in.

Overall a busy week, but now I can adjust the seat and handlebar position to best fit me without trying to guess and buy a new stem with each change.
Trying to get setup for my first Century!

Mark

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Today I washed my bike in Tooheys new and toasted the job with coopers pale ale.

Have to agree with your beer assessment slim.

Yesterday’s ride I hit some small pieces of concrete and my front tyre sidewall blew out. Hole size my little finger. Lucky was riding straight ahead . 28 mm Conti gp 4000 s 11

So went back home fitted new 25 mm conti gp 4000 s. The 28 mm on my velocity a23 rims were a little too close to the 6800 ultegra calipers. Pity as i liked the 28 mm comfort at 80 psi.

The boom slipped forward again so I cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol tooheys new lol and taped a strip of insulation tape under the clamp. Fingers crossed.

Using a sugar loaded slimy NSW beer is your biggest mistake!!!
The boom will slide again!

Remove the outer handle bar boom from the inner BB Boom, clean the inside surface, especially below the clamp, with Alcohol, then rub in a circular motion with a 200 grit sandpaper to create circular ridges that will grip the smaller BB boom!

Buy a longer allen set screw and a nyloc nut and two hard steel washers to suit, drill out the thread in the aluminium clamp, lubricate with Molybond, under all washers, nut and bolt head sliding or rubbing surfaces.
The stiction friction factor between Aluminium and steel is 1.35 compared to 0.8 for Harder steel on hard steel, so nearly 2 times the clamping load.