What did you do to your Cruzbike today?

jond

Zen MBB Master
I wrote here about both tyres going pop at once. They were 25mm Conti gp 4000 s 11. After it hapenned I pushed the bike to a pub and had some Doombar.

Yes I remember. Must have been a very bad day.

Seems my staring at my tyres was ineffective. Lol.

But i ran over sharp edged concrete pieces and those sidewalls are racing thin. Unlucky.till the next time.

Next set tyres to train on will be the four seasons . 25 mm conti.

I’ve developed a taste for 4 xxxx. And of course coopers pale ale. And a nice red....not that I drink understand. ;)

Where I live we don’t have a pub can you believe it. Just a bowling golf and rsl clubs.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
Using a sugar loaded slimy NSW beer is your biggest mistake!!!
The boom will slide again!

Remove the outer handle bar boom from the inner BB Boom, clean the inside surface, especially below the clamp, with Alcohol, then rub in a circular motion with a 200 grit sandpaper to create circular ridges that will grip the smaller BB boom!

Buy a longer allen set screw and a nyloc nut and two hard steel washers to suit, drill out the thread in the aluminium clamp, lubricate with Molybond, under all washers, nut and bolt head sliding or rubbing surfaces.
The stiction friction factor between Aluminium and steel is 1.35 compared to 0.8 for Harder steel on hard steel, so nearly 2 times the clamping load.

Hi slim.

The leg length adjustment is not slipping it’s the handlebar reach. So the clamp at the pivot point. It so far has not moved with the clean and electrical tape expander. Fingers crossed.

Yep I have antisieze on my flats. Thanks mate your prowess and knowledge is a real boon and very much appreciated. Aussie know how.

I agree nsw beer is sad. Bring back tooth’s.reschs Pilsner is okay. But tooheys new tastes of chemicals and anger and ugh

New ventisit cushion arrived a few weeks ago, which put me a couple of cm closer to the pedals and caused knee/handlebar clashes, so moved the bars about an inch closer to me and relengthened the boom to maintain the spacing.

As I'm rebuilding the Giant donor bike, I've been buying up peoples spares, adn got hold of some Van Nicholas brakes with longer drop than my 521s, so swapped those over. Also been fiddling with the front mudguard stays as in certian gears there's a clash with the chain, I may resort to the dremmel and remove the offending stay, relying on the other 3 and zip ties.

Also replaced the chain, since building this thing in March, I've done over 1000 miles on it (only 20 miles on an upright - felt wierd) and despite my low powered touring legs there was visible chain stretch.

We've been sending people over there for 200 years and none of them have started a pub? And have they forgotten how to brew beer? Put Fosters on your boom. That should weld it.

Wash your mouth out, using words like Fosters and beer in the same sentence.

One good outcome of the CO2 shortage over here is that people will be forced to drink proper warm flat English beer again

super slim

Zen MBB Master
We've been sending people over there for 200 years and none of them have started a pub? And have they forgotten how to brew beer? Put Fosters on your boom. That should weld it.
They did start pubs, AND breweries, but the NSW breweries, have too much CONVICT influence, where NO CO2 is used!!!

jond

Zen MBB Master

Lol fosters. Only for the English. We expats are smarter lol.

Thankfully the Chinese electrical tape seems to have done the trick as far as boom movement goes.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Wash your mouth out, using words like Fosters and beer in the same sentence.

One good outcome of the CO2 shortage over here is that people will be forced to drink proper warm flat English beer again

I nearly spilt my 4 x x x x laughing . Ahh beer up the nose.

Do they still make fosters. Lol.

So went back home fitted new 25 mm conti gp 4000 s. The 28 mm on my velocity a23 rims were a little too close to the 6800 ultegra calipers. Pity as i liked the 28 mm comfort at 80 psi.

You will have to switch to disc brakes. That said 28mm Schwalbe one pros are too close to my yellow frame for comfort so I run 25mm at 80psi. Feels great.

jond

Zen MBB Master
You will have to switch to disc brakes. That said 28mm Schwalbe one pros are too close to my yellow frame for comfort so I run 25mm at 80psi. Feels great.

Barry I looked at it but I’m not prepared to retire my current wheelsets.

New alloy rims would be a fix probably but 25mm is okay for now.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
That might scratch my baby. But you are right. If it moves again I’ll do that.

I reckon the fines from under the clamp as it moved lubricated the clamp. What do you think slim.
Nothing that a bit of black texta could fix!

jond

Zen MBB Master
Just a thought..
Have you ever tried the carbon component assembly grit ????
might give you the friction you need ??
View attachment 6945

Yes I used it on a df cf frame with alloy seatpost. It might work but under the band clamp the tolerance is tight. Think cigarette paper .

The wet n dry would work as slim suggested right up till it rained.

I guess I’m really interested in why it started to slip in the first place.

Is the clamp flogged out fatigued or ...........waiting to fail at a most inopportune moment. I would highly doubt that.

Would a new clamp stop the creep.

There are no noticeable by eye wear indications on the boom.

But for the last 150 klm it’s stayed put with a strip of electrical tape on the boom under the clamp.