What did you do to your Cruzbike today?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Yes I used it on a df cf frame with alloy seatpost. It might work but under the band clamp the tolerance is tight. Think cigarette paper .

The wet n dry would work as slim suggested right up till it rained.

I guess I’m really interested in why it started to slip in the first place.

Is the clamp flogged out fatigued or ...........waiting to fail at a most inopportune moment. I would highly doubt that.

Would a new clamp stop the creep.

There are no noticeable by eye wear indications on the boom.

But for the last 150 klm it’s stayed put with a strip of electrical tape on the boom under the clamp.

To stay put for a month is good!

Have you used tape under the clamp before, as this might have stretched the clamp!
I would buy a new clamp from Cruzbike.
In the meantime, a second clamp for the 44.4 mm OD boom, could stop the boom moving forward, IF you could find one!!!!!.

bullyforbars 2.jpg

DSC06428.jpg
Could you roughen up the inside surface of the clamp

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I rode over an object in the road. I barely felt it, but I knew it was a pinch even before I felt the tyre deflating. I am getting used to pinch flats. Three pinch flats, and these tyres are 600 miles old. I am chucking these Rubino. They are looking a bit worn already anyway. I am a bit more cautious about tyres now, after the double bursting incident. I spoke to this bloke who said his tyres lasted about 6000 miles. He said I should get Gatorskin.

I used to have Open Pave. I really liked them. Vittoria do not make them anymore.

3WHELZ

Guru
Have you given any consideration to going tubeless, assuming that wheel can accommodate a tubeless tire? I have tried tubes, tubular tires, and now tubeless. Based on the last couple months of riding, I would never return to tubes or tubular tires. By far, it is the best ride. No pinch flats to worry about; only the need to occasionally add some more sealant. I opted for Hutchinson Sector 28s.

I have Mavic A119. If I got new wheels I would need to get rims and have them built because I want to keep my hubs.
You should be able to convert that rim to tubeless. You can buy a conversion kit that includes special tape and valves or as @RojoRacing suggested to me use gaffer tape (it may be slightly heavier but I have had no trouble since the switch from fancy silca tape). You will still need to buy tubeless valves, sealant, and tyres of course.
Essentially you use the tape to create a seal around the rim and a valve screwed in place, then the sealant handles anything else.
I would also suggest getting something like the air shot (unless you have a compressor) to give a thump to get the tyre seated, this makes tubeless setup a brease.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Internet seems to think it is a hassle, and air comes out between the tyre and the rim. I think I will stay with tubes. If I get new rims, maybe UST, cos they are designed for it.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
You should be able to convert that rim to tubeless. You can buy a conversion kit that includes special tape and valves or as @RojoRacing suggested to me use gaffer tape (it may be slightly heavier but I have had no trouble since the switch from fancy silca tape). You will still need to buy tubeless valves, sealant, and tyres of course.
Essentially you use the tape to create a seal around the rim and a valve screwed in place, then the sealant handles anything else.
I would also suggest getting something like the air shot (unless you have a compressor) to give a thump to get the tyre seated, this makes tubeless setup a brease.

Gaffer tape? when did I suggest that? I tried gaffers tape years before I ever got on here because of how well it forms to the shape of the rim but sadly I found the cloth style isn't waterproof enough even with the use of sealant. I now use truckerco tape which is basically stans tape but not overpriced and you get enough for several sets of wheels in a single roll. The trick is a rocking motion as you apply the less flexible tapes in order to get them to drop into the rim channel.

https://www.truckerco.com/product-page/tubeless-rim-tape-19mm-x-50m-roll-1
https://www.truckerco.com/product-page/tubeless-rim-tape-25mm-x-50m-roll

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
It's what I'm thinking of trying. My track bike antics have been working well. My aero track bike with gears is no way UCI approved but it saves me an awful number of watts and it's faster as it's so aero. Certainly irritates all those riders with fast UCI approved aero bikes that weigh around 7kg that are $4K+. I'm in the processes of reducing mine down to 5kg now I know it works.

The drive wheel is 120mm instead of 135. I have a conversion axle that I'm thinking of applying on the vendetta so the hybrid bike's drive wheel can be transferred to the Vendetta, but will it make the Vendetta faster? Let's wait and see. A plan for the Autumn.

Opik

so report for the week.

1. tweaked the handlebar of my quest 451 so its more aligned, but it seems Im still 0.xx degree off.

2. My body is adapting again. I feel I can put more power through the pedal, but my left and right feels different. my right side is hurting a little and my left elbow feels more relaxed compared to previous weeks

3. I commute 2x13 km daily for weekday. so adapting is on the road.

4. I pulled the sram dual drive pin which is bent from the hub. result was a heavier gear, but is adequate for me to conquer the hills during my commute. will keep like this until I can straighten the pin or find a replacement. probably will install the bent pin again on steep hills.

5. installed rack and used pannier, but doesnt feel right. settled with a backpack facing the front, becoming a front pack as I dont carry too much items.

6. grocery shopping. bags are easy to just hook on the handlebars. also for small trips

Attachments

• 20190723_191102.jpg
    20190723_191102.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 34

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
A Quest has the advantage over a Silvio or Vendetta in that it can accommodate a frontpack. That is one good reason for a sticky-up handlebar stem.

Opik

one thing I did today was a sprint.
doing both at the same time on the quest :

1. pull both the handlebars and harden the pull according to the leg pedalling
2. pushing against the back seat and lifting my ass from the lower seat.

sprint while pulling and pushing plus floating your body so you dont touch the lower seat seems to make me faster.

Did the pulling technique while on hills but then my left side muscle seems to get pulled. had to pedal without pulling by then.

It seema cruzbike is fitting your body rather than the other way around, particularly the left right balance.

Also love how it can also be a workout machine, strengthening your legs, arms and side plus balancing it. many people say its fighting with the bike, but Im pleased my cruzbikes balanced my body mpre than any other workout Ive done.

Opik

Going to the suburb centre (CBD) and ate some fish n chips.

then a group passed by and one of them tried my Quest to the extent of filming his attempt. already tried pedalling although I told him about just try going straight on the slight downhill

we then chatted about what this bike is, how comfortable iy is, recumbent bike, price, etc. Although he hasnt succeeded pedalling, his opinion is the bike is good and he needed to learn more.

at least recumbent bike got spread around. and also you can use your bike to do errands. having a cruzbike for little trips to the market, school or worship place will warrant a few questions.

Attachments

• 20190726_205708.jpg
    20190726_205708.jpg
    991.4 KB · Views: 46

Opik

Good thing the seat area is big, Carrying a 25 kg sack of rice is an easy job on recumbents

Attachments

• 20190905_182255.jpg
    20190905_182255.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 53

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Good thing the seat area is big, Carrying a 25 kg sack of rice is an easy job on recumbents
How did you ride? Did you sit "in the bag"? Did you switch the handlebar backwards for that trip alone? Are you using a regular size shock? Doesn't that change the seat height and handling significantly?

Opik

How did you ride? Did you sit "in the bag"? Did you switch the handlebar backwards for that trip alone? Are you using a regular size shock? Doesn't that change the seat height and handling significantly?

I didn't ride it, I just pushed the bike like a cart.

Lots of stuff done today. Ventisit Pad installed, Perez neck rest clamp installed, The head light mount would rotate on big bumps so I drilled and tapped the mount tab with an anti rotation set screw. Installed a Moose pack along with a tactical phone case on the other side. Thanks to Jason for the part numbers of spring and posts, I installed his version of the Anti Flop. 3D printed a mount for the boom to attach the spring to. I will probably add another RivetNut on the boom once I'm happy with the spring tension.
The printed ABS part might not hold up.....now, if the College buys the Carbon Fiber printer they are looking at, I might print another in that material ;)

I forgot, I also added (2) Cruzbike bottle cages under the seat. The bike weighs right at 25lbs ready to ride with bags and bottles empty.
And Thanks @Maria Parker and Cruzbike for helping me with and getting the parts on the way so quickly.

Attachments

• anti flop.jpg
    anti flop.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 145
  • moose.jpg
    moose.jpg
    886.9 KB · Views: 140
  • phone bag.jpg
    phone bag.jpg
    839 KB · Views: 134
  • set screw.jpg
    set screw.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Lots of stuff done today. Ventisit Pad installed, Perez neck rest clamp installed, The head light mount would rotate on big bumps so I drilled and tapped the mount with an anti rotation set screw. Installed a Moose pack along with a tactical phone case on the other side. Thanks to Jason for the part numbers of spring and posts, I installed his version of the Anti Flop. 3D printed a mount for the boom to attach the spring to. I will probably add another RivetNut on the boom once I'm happy with the spring tension.
The printed ABS part might not hold up.....now, if we the College buys the Carbon Fiber printer they are looking at, I might print another in that material ;)

Looks good, you may be the first rider to copy my use of the steel spring. Now only if we can find it in tinanium we can cut the weight in half :rolleyes:. Does the schools 3d printer not accommodate 20% carbon fiber filament? I thought most mid-level printers did as long as you used a steel tip. I'm curious because I'm about to pull the trigger on a printer but I'm still researching.

Looks good, you may be the first rider to copy my use of the steel spring. Now only if we can find it in tinanium we can cut the weight in half :rolleyes:. Does the schools 3d printer not accommodate 20% carbon fiber filament? I thought most mid-level printers did as long as you used a steel tip. I'm curious because I'm about to pull the trigger on a printer but I'm still researching.

Thanks, If I'm gonna copy, I'm gonna copy the best ;) I just returned from 25 mi ride, the spring works great !!!
Thanks so much for the design and sharing the part numbers with me, but I did have hesitation drilling into a nice shiny frame for the Rivet nut;)

We have some high $$ Stratasys printers for ABS, They are looking at buying a Markforged X3 that runs chopped carbonfiber filament. Also big $$$ but they really print nice , strong stuff. Great for fixturing and such. No more machining soft jaws, just print them.

We also have a Fusion3 https://www.fusion3design.com/
I really like this printer and the support is 2nd to none. It will print a lot of material including C/F but will eat up even steel nozzles if you run it all the time.
Very reliable printer. We have a job that we are running in PetG that takes 20 hrs to run 6 pcs and they order 60 at a time. Just finished a 20 hr a day run for 10 days straight with no issues. I would suggest that you take at look at one. Tell them Andy from ECU sent ya. :)

Last edited: