Cruzbike Time Trial Challenge 2020

ccf

Guru
what is the effect of the fore-aft positioning of the cleats? Is there a “best”? Or is it an everybody is different? Or, does it just take some hours of training for a new position to feel natural?

I started using a mid-foot cleat position to deal with hotfoot. It definitely helped. Can’t say one way or the other how it affects performance. But not having hotfoot definitely improves performance.

Brad R

I started using a mid-foot cleat position to deal with hotfoot. It definitely helped. Can’t say one way or the other how it affects performance. But not having hotfoot definitely improves performance.

That is why I started using it too. On my trike. Didn’t have a problem on my bike in 3 hours this morning.

GetBent

Did my first ride for the TT today. It uploaded to Strava, no problem. Is there anything I need to do - is there some place I need to send it?

This was my second ride on hard top with the trike. I had no real idea of what I could do. With the extra weight, rolling resistance, aero resistance, and less efficient drive train I was not expecting much. Of course the block pedals with the toe clips, heal straps and high top trail running shoes (ankle protection) do not help either. I was pleasantly surprised to have exceeded my goal. Most likely, I am the slowest of the group, but it certainly gives me some additional motivation to get out there and push.

GetBent

When a bike computer has both GPS and a speed sensor, which takes precedence? I was not sure, so I shut down the speed sensor. Just before I got to my start/finish line I suddenly realized that the wheel size on the trike and the V are different, and I could not remember which size the computer was set for. Nor could I figure it out while on the side of the road.

Brad R

When a bike computer has both GPS and a speed sensor, which takes precedence? I was not sure, so I shut down the speed sensor. Just before I got to my start/finish line I suddenly realized that the wheel size on the trike and the V are different, and I could not remember which size the computer was set for. Nor could I figure it out while on the side of the road.

I have a Garmin 520. On this computer it depends on the setup selections you make. You can enter the wheel size. Or you can tell it to use the GPS to calibrate the wheel size. I leave mine on calibrate by GPS except when indoors.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Did my first ride for the TT today. It uploaded to Strava, no problem. Is there anything I need to do - is there some place I need to send it?

This was my second ride on hard top with the trike. I had no real idea of what I could do. With the extra weight, rolling resistance, aero resistance, and less efficient drive train I was not expecting much. Of course the block pedals with the toe clips, heal straps and high top trail running shoes (ankle protection) do not help either. I was pleasantly surprised to have exceeded my goal. Most likely, I am the slowest of the group, but it certainly gives me some additional motivation to get out there and push.
Just send me an email that you have completed the ride and include the URL of the ride or segment for me. If you name you ride something like: Cruzbike TT - week 3#), then once I am following you I can just pull up your profile for the week and see your ride and the pull the data from there.

LarryOz

The speed sensor will just give you a more accurate speed in real-time while you are riding, so you can have them both running. Since this challenge is really only based on your Personal Best time, the only real requirement is that you have a segment and the time for the segment - and have them be marked public in Strava. I calculate the avg speed from the length of the Segment and your time.

My understanding is that in GPS mode, the speed sensor is only used when the GPS signal drops out, like in a tunnel, or between tall buildings

LarryOz

I have a question about cleat position.
I have been riding for years with sandals with the cleat as far toward the back of the foot as I can get it without modifying the shoe. The cleats are between the ball and the arch. I was using elliptical rings on my previous bike. I am using circular rings on this bike.
Yesterday and today, I rode with my old mountain biking shoes. The cleats are farther forward. On the recumbent it feels like they are a little bit in front of the ball of the foot. I think they feel like they are under the ball of the foot on my mountain bike.
I felt like I could climb better. (All my climbs are short (less 4 minutes. Usually less than 2 minutes.) More ankling allowing a higher cadence? Recruiting more or different muscles?
However, in almost perfect weather and road surface conditions, I was only a few seconds ahead of last week’s time on the TT and last week I lost time to the wind and water over the road. I was 40 seconds slower than 3 weeks ago in similar weather conditions when I was testing the route the week before week 1.
With my ankle joint lower (call it 2cm), it feels like having a lower bottom bracket. With the pedal closer to the toes, I need to engage more muscle to transfer the force from my ankle (leg) to the pedals. I think both of these factors exposed weakness in muscle groups that I haven’t been using as much as I needed to today.
With training, will I be able to get my speed back up? Or, do I need to move the cleats closer to mid foot to have any chance of getting the same performance?
Generally, what is the effect of the fore-aft positioning of the cleats? Is there a “best”? Or is it an everybody is different? Or, does it just take some hours of training for a new position to feel natural?
Before you ask, I am giving my riding sandals to my son for when he is riding my trike and we are riding together (at least until he outgrows them). So I got out my rarely used MTB shoes for myself. I don’t know if I can move the cleats on these shoes as they have been in the same place for 20 years. If I do move them, I would have to move them back on the rare occasions when I do ride my MTB in order to avoid tire-toe interference.
The answer might be a new pair of shoes or sandals for me, but I am curious to try to understand the contrast of feeling that I could power up the hills (2-4 minute effort) better but that my 36+ minute effort was less effective. And I am hoping to learn from your collective wisdom so that I don’t have to do a long series of experiments.
Thanks,
Brad
I have read that mid sole cleat position allowed upright racers to make more power. I never saw any data on it. Also read that about wider Q factor too.
I switched to mid-sole for hot-foot and it helped a lot on long rides. I have switched back and forth between the 2 a lot also and have never noticed a gain or loss in power making ability.
I thought having my toes a couple inches higher in the air would make me less aero - but in my testing that did not seem to be a factor.
You will have to bring your BB a little closer to you since you cannot point your toe while you pedal.
I never believe that much power could ever be generated by "anlkling" - just not much muscle mass down there to contribute much to the effort IMHO

nobrakes

I switched to mid foot cleats for hot foot too. It didn’t make any difference to my power levels either. I haven’t tested properly but my feeling is it has made me slightly more aero on the CHR which is surprising given the height of the BB.

GetBent

Could not find much in the directions. Just a statement that when entering the wheel size, turn Automatic Mode off. Apparently, the system will use both the GPS and the speed sensor to calculate the wheel size. I have turned Automatic Mode on, and will leave it there. Oddly, the wheel size of my rear wheel is not on the list in the Element Bolt.

Bill Wightman

I switched to mid-sole for hot-foot and it helped a lot on long rides.
I did not know that moving the cleat toward mid-sole helped hot-foot but I made that switch over a year ago because I figured my calf muscles didn't contribute much so why use them a lot. It does turn out that my minor hot-foot problems disappeared entirely at that time. I think it reduces hot foot to not bind shoes too tightly and to start slowly with a warm-up and IMO a daily rigorous self foot massage and stretch keeps the circulation and joints healthier. At that same time I moved my feet inward as much as possible hoping to improve aerodynamics. I would imagine getting the right shoe is very important. Those people with huge power and small feet are probably in trouble.

I did not know that moving the cleat toward mid-sole helped hot-foot but I made that switch over a year ago because I figured my calf muscles didn't contribute much so why use them a lot. It does turn out that my minor hot-foot problems disappeared entirely at that time. I think it reduces hot foot to not bind shoes too tightly and to start slowly with a warm-up and IMO a daily rigorous self foot massage and stretch keeps the circulation and joints healthier. At that same time I moved my feet inward as much as possible hoping to improve aerodynamics. I would imagine getting the right shoe is very important. Those people with huge power and small feet are probably in trouble.

I guess I can count myself lucky, neither small feet nor immense power ;-)

nobrakes

Yes, I have size 48 feet ploughing a huge wake through the air too. Always wondered how much of my CdA is my feet’s responsibility :)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
If anyone wants to talk shop and ask me questions just post up a message in our discord channel and I'll hop on in about 45 mins 6:15ish PM PST after my TT effort. I can talk for a bit during my cooldown.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Today is the first time I serious felt like I was pedaling through sand on my Tacx Neo. Always felt like I was behind the pedal stroke trying to catch up. Also even though I took 4 days off due to laziness disguised as recovery I came up short of a PR again by a few seconds. I really felt I was going to nail it today but nope!

couple things I’m noticing.

1. when I do the TTT on Thursday I avg nearly the same power but I’m doing it for 20-30 mins longer. Also that’s taking 30s 400w pulls then trying to recover for 2 mins and doing it again. So you’d think a steady solo TT at optimal watts world net a higher number.

2. Another possibility is my body is just not conditioned to steady FTP efforts on flat ground. Or I’m still struggling mentally without competitive natural of being in a pack of fast riders.

3. I may look at adjusting my Qrings one position to maybe get rid of that pedaling through sand feeling.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Zwift PSA
Word of warning for those using zwift to do the TT. Don't warm up through a full lap of the segment and then start you run the second time through at like 16 miles or whatever it is. The segment due to its start and finish point overlapping will only record every other lap. So if you warm up with a 35 min lap do a 25 min TT and cool down with a 35 min lap, strava will only show your two 35 mins as recorded for that segment.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
1. when I do the TTT on Thursday I avg nearly the same power but I’m doing it for 20-30 mins longer. Also that’s taking 30s 400w pulls then trying to recover for 2 mins and doing it again. So you’d think a steady solo TT at optimal watts world net a higher number.
2. Another possibility is my body is just not conditioned to steady FTP efforts on flat ground. Or I’m still struggling mentally without competitive natural of being in a pack of fast riders.
I definitely am inspired to ride harder with less perceived effort or at higher power during the TTT than any training or solo riding. My experience is that riding, especially climbing outside is rarely consistent in speed, slope, surface, wind, etc. compared with a flat open area let alone a near perfectly consistent Zwift pavement of which the Lollipop is probably one of the best. There could be a different mindset and muscle memory or even muscle fibre type required to maintain consistent xWatts compared to fluctuating power output. This is really way out of my expertise but I do resonate with your experience of generating power more easily and for longer during the TTT or when riding with my friend who is stronger than I am.

markciccio

I would like to post a video that shows the climbing tecnique I usually use on my "high" recumbent version, on very steep climbs. There you can see the "out of the seat" position. Using that I have no "FTP" power loss (for more than 20 minutes continue efforts), neither from the "low" recumbent (+5-10% loss), nor from the upright bike. Actually from the traditional bike, at the moment, on that 10 km-8% climb I have the best time with the recumbent (nearly the same power, less BPM). So, for me, it is clear that the position of the back on recumbents (and of the BB) is primary.

on a short sharp climb I tend to do similar, body leaning forward, and pumping the arms more, I'm not sure I'd manage that technique for 10km at 8% though, preferring to gear down and spin (and that's with a core that's had 10+ years of yoga thrown at it). In my case though I get no chance to practice on hills like that as it's flat as a pancake round here, think Po valley, East Texas, cornfields in North by Northwest. We do get wind though, but in that case, I tend to follow the same relax back into the seat and spin approach.